News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmendes

Has anyone used the springfield interchange on the steam workshop yet? :hmmm:

riiga

TM:PE has started working for me again, so I've been playing some more. I also installed the Move It! mod which has been very helpful.

The motorway was too close to my city center so I planned a new alignment:

Built an interchange trying to get those smooth ramps and curves:

Rebuilt the intersection at the rightmost end of my city:

New suburb, European style:

Overview. You can see the new alignment, rebuilt interchanges, etc:

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on January 10, 2021, 06:44:00 AM
TM:PE has started working for me again, so I've been playing some more. I also installed the Move It! mod which has been very helpful.

I love how you planned out the bypass before building it. That is totally genius and adds another level of realism to the game.

The curves also look excellent. Nicely done.

Quote from: fmendes on January 07, 2021, 01:51:45 PM

I've never personally used the custom interchanges from the workshop. Something tells me the Springfield Interchange is too specific to the real-life Springfield, VA to actually be of use in Cities: Skylines. Never mind the whole issue of the interchange taking up hilarious amounts of land. You really need 81 Tiles to not feel overwhelmed.

fmendes

Quote from: jakeroot on January 10, 2021, 01:55:51 PM
Quote from: riiga on January 10, 2021, 06:44:00 AM

I love how you planned out the bypass before building it. That is totally genius and adds another level of realism to the game.

The curves also look excellent. Nicely done.

I've never personally used the custom interchanges from the workshop. Something tells me the Springfield Interchange is too specific to the real-life Springfield, VA to actually be of use in Cities: Skylines. Never mind the whole issue of the interchange taking up hilarious amounts of land. You really need 81 Tiles to not feel overwhelmed.
i hear its rlly massive im just gonna create my own interchanges and make the highway with local and express lanes so it can handle lots of traffic i have done this before if on xbox but now im on pc so i can have more freedom with alignments and i have tmpe so i can have even more capacity if u wanna see my other interchanges go to my gaming instagram @porkchopftc and youll see a big spagetti

rickmastfan67

I assume this is the file that's being talked about:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947827349

Just a heads up for people, just link to the addon on Steam so people can easily look it up instead of having to search for it (especially since some items have several different people making it using the same name).  Might stimulate more conversation even. ;)

Ned Weasel

Does anyone else try to build out an 81-tile city and feel like they've made an overly ambitious mess?  I think I'm going to start playing with just 9 tiles again and cut down on the number of mods I'm using, and maybe this game will feel less like projects that I've decided to take on out of compulsion.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

fmendes

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 11, 2021, 03:40:59 PM

I assume this is the file that's being talked about:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947827349

Just a heads up for people, just link to the addon on Steam so people can easily look it up instead of having to search for it (especially since some items have several different people making it using the same name).  Might stimulate more conversation even. ;)
yes it is and i was thinking it would look out of place in any other city and if u dont have at least a 100k pop and citizens that uses the highway alot it wont be satisfying like the one IRL yk

jakeroot

Quote from: stridentweasel on January 12, 2021, 04:31:32 AM
Does anyone else try to build out an 81-tile city and feel like they've made an overly ambitious mess?  I think I'm going to start playing with just 9 tiles again and cut down on the number of mods I'm using, and maybe this game will feel less like projects that I've decided to take on out of compulsion.

I've been using 81 Tiles for a long time now. At this point, it would be very strange to return to even 25 tiles, much less 9. But then the way I build my cities, it's not that I'm being overly ambitious. The way I build, I largely don't use most of the map for buildings. What I do is use the 81 Tiles mod to build a larger road network, and it allows me to spread out my city a bit, maybe building some villages and hamlets way out in the country...it adds to the realism for me. At the end of the day, 90% of my population is clustered in about 4 tiles.

I-55

It would be nice to have more than just the 81 tiles. If you're trying to build large cities (to realistic American Standards) of over 300k, you'll need more than the current tiles (roughly 10 miles by 10 miles). The current arrangement allows you to build cities that landwise are about the size of Tuscaloosa-Northport, AL (population of Tuscaloosa county is a little over 200k). If you want to be ambitious like me and try a city like Indianapolis you'd probably need about 500 tiles to cover the land of the metro. In my fictional world, my home city is similar size to Indianapolis and I would need 600+ tiles to build it in game. Obviously that would be hard for the game to handle which is why 81 is much more feasible.

For the time being though I'm still doing fine planning cities that fit in with the current space constraints.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Ned Weasel

Quote from: I-55 on January 13, 2021, 11:25:08 PM
It would be nice to have more than just the 81 tiles. If you're trying to build large cities (to realistic American Standards) of over 300k, you'll need more than the current tiles (roughly 10 miles by 10 miles). The current arrangement allows you to build cities that landwise are about the size of Tuscaloosa-Northport, AL (population of Tuscaloosa county is a little over 200k). If you want to be ambitious like me and try a city like Indianapolis you'd probably need about 500 tiles to cover the land of the metro. In my fictional world, my home city is similar size to Indianapolis and I would need 600+ tiles to build it in game. Obviously that would be hard for the game to handle which is why 81 is much more feasible.

For the time being though I'm still doing fine planning cities that fit in with the current space constraints.

You can easily to get to half a million population with 81 tiles.  It just takes patience.

(I started losing patience somewhere around 400,000, and I felt like I had a mess with no real scheme for making beautiful, so I decided I'd rather downsize and focus on smaller details, because that's what I usually handle better with just about anything.)

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Ned Weasel

Does anyone else like building highways with at-grade intersections (expressways, surface highways, arterial highways, Jersey Freeways, etc.), and seeing how well you can manage traffic on them without making them freeways?  To me, it's an added challenge in the game, although without using TM:PE and maybe other mods, you're rather limited in your arsenal of traffic control devices (e.g., you can't ban left turns without TM:PE).  What's hilarious is when the game keeps giving you that traffic warning message, even when the traffic on your surface highway is flowing just fine.

I actually found this was one scenario where I had made a conventional diamond, saw it turn into a traffic nightmare, turned it into a diverging diamond, and saw traffic improve both short-term and long-term.

(You can see that the left-most interchange is still a conventional diamond, but traffic on the surface highway still flows at an acceptable rate without changing it.)

I also made a short City Drive video of the above highway (which means I can't be using TM:PE here, because they're incompatible mods).  It was originally longer and showed both directions, but I cut most of it out, because some of my graphics were flickering, which ruined it.  (Anybody know of a way to fix that, or is there just no getting around that?)

https://youtu.be/ToMGk8wABqI

On another note, I do wish the game would include more TM:PE-like features as standard features (it does already include the ability to toggle traffic signals and stop signs, making that part of TM:PE redundant).  A surface highway would probably work much better at 80 km/h (closer to 50 MPH) than 100 km/h (roughly 60 MPH), but I don't know of a way to change that without TM:PE.

I-55

^ First time I've ever seen someone use J-turns in Cities:Skylines. Doesn't look too shabby at all.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Ned Weasel

Quote from: I-55 on January 16, 2021, 01:52:42 PM
^ First time I've ever seen someone use J-turns in Cities:Skylines. Doesn't look too shabby at all.

Thanks!  It helps to put stop signs on them, because C:S drivers tend to be bad at yielding.

(Heck, with the sharp angles of a lot of the on-ramps that game gives you, combined with the complete lack of acceleration lanes, you might as well pull a Pennsylvania and put stop signs on them, too.  The game's built-in cloverleaf is pretty much like this: https://goo.gl/maps/Y85HLvBT2tg8afk5A )

CoreySamson

Quote from: I-55 on January 16, 2021, 01:52:42 PM
I put them in on arterials as a first step in changing them to freeways. They seem to work well with low traffic, but I haven't used them in a high-traffic environment yet. Might be something to play around with in one of my old cities tomorrow.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

andrepoiy

Good idea, I shall attempt to build a city with no freeways (like Winnipeg)

fmendes

has anyone ever tried doing a realistic toll road like the NJ turnpike

X99

Normally I would post an update screenshot of my Rapid City rebuild, but I've been stalled on it for a while since attempting to build a block of downtown and look at it from the side actually crashed my GPU. I still have to reconfigure my graphics mods before I start building again.

I'm also thinking that I might have taken on too big of a project for my first real life rebuild, and I might put it on hold and build Marion, IN instead. Much smaller population (~20k as opposed to ~70k), flatter terrain (which I'm doing manually because adding terrain through other means either misaligns the heightmap or crashes the game), and companies that actually have workshop models (seriously, I can't even find a Common Cents convenience store, let alone a Holiday, Maverik, or even Blaze Pizza).
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Ned Weasel

Quote from: fmendes on January 20, 2021, 09:06:13 AM
has anyone ever tried doing a realistic toll road like the NJ turnpike

I haven't gone so far as to do a long-distance dual-dual configuration, but I make double-trumpet interchanges with a toll plaza in the middle rather frequently.

In fact, one of my favorite "tropes" in my C:S cities is to have entrance/exit tolls on the in-game freeways and then mainline tolls on any new freeways I build.

riiga

Started a new city to try and make my city more European (and Swedish even). Pretty much all buildings are custom assets. My biggest gripe with CSL now is the lack of farms. I want farms surrounding my town but the biggest you can zone is 4x4. I haven't found a good solution to this which almost makes me want to play Simcity 4 again just for that.

Top-down view:

1950s residential area:

Overview (not much so far):

johndoe

Cool stuff folks!  I know we all use different mods etc, but I think we should do some sort of board challenge.  Try to maximize or minimize some attribute.  I like to play but seem to end up doing the same city every time, so want to change it up

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on January 23, 2021, 03:39:18 PM
Started a new city to try and make my city more European (and Swedish even). Pretty much all buildings are custom assets. My biggest gripe with CSL now is the lack of farms. I want farms surrounding my town but the biggest you can zone is 4x4. I haven't found a good solution to this which almost makes me want to play Simcity 4 again just for that.

[clipped]

Looks great so far! I really like the grid you've started.

Farms are Cities: Skylines' Achilles heal. Even the poorly-coded Cities XL had farms that could be built by selecting edge points.

My solution has been to lay out trees in straight lines to create edges, and then dirt roads along them to build farmhouses along. You can then use texture mods to paint the ground to look like it has something planted. Ridiculously difficult solution to something that should be easy, but it is what it is.

Quote from: johndoe on January 23, 2021, 05:54:51 PM
Cool stuff folks!  I know we all use different mods etc, but I think we should do some sort of board challenge.  Try to maximize or minimize some attribute.  I like to play but seem to end up doing the same city every time, so want to change it up

The problem I have with challenges is just the sheer number of assets that I use. Plus my cities use all 81 tiles, so it takes me literally months to actually declare something as finished. My current city dates to at least August.

X99

I started using the farms in this collection to fill in the square-mile spaces north of Rapid City with something larger than a 4x4. In fact, the largest fields there are 32x32, AND they're still functional with Industries DLC. If you don't have that DLC, there are also prop versions linked to most of the entries on that list.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Roadrunner75

My son is playing this on his XBox now and has been blowing money on the themed expansion packs.  I would have loved this game as a kid (in my day it was SimCity on the Commodore 64) but I'm too old with too many other worries and a shorter attention span now.   :-/

paulthemapguy

Quote from: stridentweasel on January 21, 2021, 06:49:46 AM
In fact, one of my favorite "tropes" in my C:S cities is to have entrance/exit tolls on the in-game freeways and then mainline tolls on any new freeways I build.

Sounds like how the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority actually operates these days!

[clipped]

Yeah the agriculture in C:S is not realistic at all.  Farming and logging really should take up more land than a mining or oil refining operation, right?  And the amount of arable land in any given map is dismal at best.  Come on, you can at least grow potatoes or something in some of the more rugged, mountainous spots, can't you?

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2021, 05:55:35 PM
Looks great so far! I really like the grid you've started.
The problem I have with challenges is just the sheer number of assets that I use. Plus my cities use all 81 tiles, so it takes me literally months to actually declare something as finished. My current city dates to at least August.

Even though I have the relevant mod installed and ready to go, I'm terrified of starting to expand my cities to 81 tiles, partly on behalf of my computer processor and partly because of the time I'll have to spend on that city.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tq-07fan

Quote from: stridentweasel on January 16, 2021, 10:39:59 AM

I also made a short City Drive video of the above highway (which means I can't be using TM:PE here, because they're incompatible mods).  It was originally longer and showed both directions, but I cut most of it out, because some of my graphics were flickering, which ruined it.  (Anybody know of a way to fix that, or is there just no getting around that?)

https://youtu.be/ToMGk8wABqI

So roughly how long does it take to develop your city then get to get stuff to drive through it? I have rode in your car on Youtube several times now. I love it!

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on January 27, 2021, 02:13:49 AM
  I would have loved this game as a kid (in my day it was SimCity on the Commodore 64) but I'm too old with too many other worries and a shorter attention span now.   :-/

These do look really cool but could also be addictive. I used the old pencil and paper method to develop cities when I was a kid.  :D

Jim

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.