News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on May 31, 2021, 10:53:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2021, 01:57:57 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 12:27:51 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 30, 2021, 05:03:09 AM
Quote from: US 41 on May 29, 2021, 09:15:34 PM
Going back to the beginning of this thread, the new Google Maps is better than the "Classic" GM was now and it's not even close. When they first launched it though it was a disaster.

No, it's still worse, it just has more irrelevant data to mask the fact that it sucks.
What made "classic gm" better?

Rather than the data being rendered on the fly like it is now, it was pre-rendered and stored as image tiles on the Google Maps server. So when you panned around the map, all it had to do was download the images and display them. It was much less resource-intensive.
On the other hand, such systems are prone to the "missing tile problem" where all the tiles download except the one you specifically want to look at.

I have a custom map on my own webserver using the Leaflet JavaScript library to implement such a system. I have never had a tile go missing, and my server, well, to be honest, kind of sucks. I suspect that there's some combination of issues here: perhaps Leaflet does some sort of error-checking and forces a reload of tiles whose HTTP requests time out or are otherwise undisplayable, connection speeds are simply better than they were in 2014, and/or Google's tile rendering routine was buggy (or maybe just-in-time enough) in such a way that it caused tiles to sometimes not load.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

That mention of Leaflet is interesting.  I remember there were times when the OSM tiles would display just fine in TM but OSM itself was having issues.

I'm not sure if I've had issue with OSM recently; maybe they've improved things over there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

In Lowell, MA, Aiken St. changes into Aiken Ave. Google Maps has it changing in the wrong spot (but not by much). I sent a correction, and they published it. Now, the entire road is labeled Aiken Ave., which is worse than before.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

wxfree

When I use Street View to explore roads and get to a red light, it never changes.  It just stays red forever.  I end up having to run the light.  I don't understand why they don't fix that.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: wxfree on June 15, 2021, 12:34:10 AM
When I use Street View to explore roads and get to a red light, it never changes.  It just stays red forever.  I end up having to run the light.  I don't understand why they don't fix that.
Street view also never changes seasons! How strange...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: wxfree on June 15, 2021, 12:34:10 AM

Yeah, well said! Google Maps fucking blows! I cannot believe they haven't fixed this simple problem.

Roadgeekteen

A more real complaint but I wish google would upgrade their imagery on very rural roads like US 50 and US 6 in Nevada.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jp the roadgeek

One positive: they FINALLY corrected the CT 31 shields north of US 44 to be state route shields instead of county route ones :clap:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:14:39 PM
A more real complaint but I wish google would upgrade their imagery on very rural roads like US 50 and US 6 in Nevada.
Yeah, their imagery is going downhill in most rural areas.  Wonder if they've figured out that StreetView is just a money-suck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on June 15, 2021, 01:17:17 PM
Yeah, their imagery is going downhill in most rural areas.

In most cases, you can just spin the view around to see the uphill direction.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjw2001

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 01:27:05 PM
Yeah, their imagery is going downhill in most rural areas.

In most cases, you can just spin the view around to see the uphill direction.

:bigass: :-D :D :clap:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:14:39 PM
Yeah, their imagery is going downhill in most rural areas.  Wonder if they've figured out that StreetView is just a money-suck.
They update most interstates and more urban areas. How does streetview make money?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:39:50 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 01:38:07 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:33:30 PM
How does streetview make money?

By being part of Google.

How does Streetview make Google money?

By being part of Google Maps.  Google knows what you search for on Google Maps and feeds you advertisements accordingly.  Also, businesses can pay a premium to use their corporate logo on the map.  If GSV gets you to use Google, then it helps Google make money.
Male pronouns, please.

ozarkman417

Google moved the layers down to the bottom of the page. Rather than clicking the three bars in the top left, I have to click the button at the bottom that used to be "satellite". Of course, if you click that button now, it still takes you to the satellite view. So instead I have to hold my mouse over the button briefly to then select my desired layer. 

jakeroot

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 16, 2021, 05:13:42 PM
Google moved the layers down to the bottom of the page. Rather than clicking the three bars in the top left, I have to click the button at the bottom that used to be "satellite". Of course, if you click that button now, it still takes you to the satellite view. So instead I have to hold my mouse over the button briefly to then select my desired layer.

This was a good change. Less clicks for a commonly-accessed feature.

vdeane

I like it overall, though it will take getting used to as I'm so accustomed to the layers being in the left menu.  It is annoying, however, to have an extra click to get at things like the COVID info; seems like there aren't so many layers that they couldn't have put them in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

I see they also did not fix the toggle setting not being retained for labels in Satellite view. This regression goes back a number of years now.

CNGL-Leudimin

Huh? I can disable labels on Satellite view, and has always been that way. Now, disabling the globe format, which earlier required one click, now it takes two.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 17, 2021, 10:22:59 AM
Now, disabling the globe format, which earlier required one click, now it takes two.

Noticed that shortly after my post above.

Foot, meet mouth. :-/

vdeane

Huh? I can disable labels on Satellite view, and has always been that way. Now, disabling the globe format, which earlier required one click, now it takes two.
Interesting... globe view has been disabled by default for me for a while now, to the point where I often forgot it's there.

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on June 17, 2021, 09:50:50 AM
I see they also did not fix the toggle setting not being retained for labels in Satellite view. This regression goes back a number of years now.

If I go to satellite and turn off labels, and then go to street view, labels reappear when I get back out of street view.  Similarly, if I go to satellite, and then switch to terrain (or whatever map type), labels reappear when I get back to satellite again.  This has been true for quite some time, and it annoys me.
Male pronouns, please.

Caps81943

Another thing I've noticed lately is a new street view layer - alongside traditional street view and photosphere like before, they now have "Photo Path," essentially user-driven street view.

In every single case I've seen (admittedly not a ton), "Photo Path" has been AWFUL, but at least it only shows up if there's no traditional street view or photosphere series for the road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.