News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A private country club interchange on an interstate?

Started by mgk920, February 28, 2019, 04:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

A roadgeek's golf dream - a country club with its own private direct interstate highway access. It may be about to happen:

http://metrospirit.com/exit-augusta-national/

This does kind of remind me a few years ago when WisDOT created some controversy when they built a 'special events only' interchange on I-43 at Rowe Rd for use when a 'major' tournament is periodically held at the nearby Whistling Straits golf course, located on the Lake Michigan lakeshore between Sheboygan and Manitowoc, WI. Granted, Whistling Straits is a 'daily fee' (privately owned but open to the general public) course and not a beyond exclusive country club, but I can see some parallels.

https://goo.gl/maps/KkLTjFNCRsS2

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

mgk920

jp the roadgeek

Belmont Park has 2 separate dedicated exits off the Cross Island Parkway that are open on race days only.  There's also a separate ramp that is often closed from the NJTP SB to the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

I've always dreamed of a golf course with a freeway through the middle of it where a couple of shots required either a shot over an elevated roadway, or a punch shot under the roadway. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 28, 2019, 06:18:44 PM
Belmont Park has 2 separate dedicated exits off the Cross Island Parkway that are open on race days only.  There's also a separate ramp that is often closed from the NJTP SB to the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

I've always dreamed of a golf course with a freeway through the middle of it where a couple of shots required either a shot over an elevated roadway, or a punch shot under the roadway.

The closest on that is the Oakmont Country Club in the Pittsburgh, PA area.  Often used for 'major' tournaments, the Oakmont golf course is divided by the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) and there are pedestrian bridges over the highway to connect the two sides.

Mike

coldshoulder

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 28, 2019, 06:18:44 PM

It's not a freeway, but Fifth Avenue on the north side of Youngstown, Ohio cuts thru the Henry Stambaugh Municipal Golf Course, requiring one's tee shot on hole #7 to clear the roadway, with the remainder on the hole on the other (east) side of Fifth Ave.  There is a 12-to 16-foot high (I'm guessing) chain link fence on the tee box (west) side, close to the road, that serves as a deflector for any low-level drives off the tee.

Link:
https://goo.gl/maps/eBDGinwN5zE2

You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.