News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Why?" interchange designs

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2021, 10:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 12, 2021, 10:47:03 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 12, 2021, 10:22:04 AM
The WI-23 and CTH-Y interchange in Kohler is one of the stranger ones I've ever seen. It includes two seemingly unnesecary loop ramps, both servicing westbound WI-23. This interchange would be safer and take up less space if it were a simple diamond: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7532204,-87.779378,16.77z

Looks somewhat similar to SB US 41 at Washington Street near Waukegan, IL
looks an bit like the old scissors ramp that used to be on  I-94 / US-41 up in WI

CoreySamson

The interchange at Beltway 8 and the Westpark Tollway is probably the most bizarre in Houston. It looks even weirder from the road.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

lepidopteran

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 12, 2021, 12:13:24 PM
Similar interchange I know of at I-270 and OH 3
Part of that might have been because of the railroad underpass just to the west of the interchange.  Perhaps it was just to save the cost of constructing another overpass, as was done with the WB on-ramp.

Having said that, the railroad tracks that pass through there were abandoned over 30 years ago.

jay8g

The Kentucky parkway system has some real oddball interchanges. There are a few where all four ramps are loop ramps for some reason, and when looking for an example of that I also came across this thing, which seems to be an inside-out folded diamond interchange. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see any practical reason for these designs.

Closer to home, I've always found I-5/I-405/SR 518 to be a bit perplexing. I get that there are some topographic challenges going on there, but the assortment of left and right exits and one single loop ramp thrown into the mix just seems strange. The surrounding ramps to surface streets are always a bit confusing to use, too.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jay8g on March 14, 2021, 03:27:50 AM
The Kentucky parkway system has some real oddball interchanges. There are a few where all four ramps are loop ramps for some reason, and when looking for an example of that I also came across this thing, which seems to be an inside-out folded diamond interchange. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see any practical reason for these designs.

Tollbooths. The idea was to have a single tollbooth in a central location accessible by all traffic. Here's the second one in 1983.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

skluth

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 12, 2021, 12:59:56 PM
The strangest one I've ever seen is still the one near Perth Amboy.

Ye gads, I believe you've found Cthulhu. It's especially strange when you consider the C/D lanes extend north to the NJ Turnpike.

tolbs17

Like why does nj only use toll booths?

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 14, 2021, 03:35:10 PM

New Hampshire does, too.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 14, 2021, 03:55:05 AM

Tollbooths. The idea was to have a single tollbooth in a central location accessible by all traffic. Here's the second one in 1983.

[img

For a modern and more robust example, see here.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 14, 2021, 03:35:10 PM

Their system is from the 1950's and 1960's, and pressure to continue taking cash payments have limited its advancement to full ETC.

There are some exceptions - there's a ETC-only plaza on the GSP, and two ramp ETC-only plazas at Interchange 17 of the ACX: https://goo.gl/maps/iP5AaghpUN1zeESj8

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2021, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 14, 2021, 03:55:05 AM

[img

For a modern and more robust example, see here.

In your example, interesting to see that the ramp network has at-grade crossings among itself.  I personally can't think of any other situations like that.

paulthemapguy

I just sent this at-grade nonsense from the Adirondacks to a couple friends last night.  I imagine this leading to a lot of confusion for people making left turns, and therefore crashes.  https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1019636,-73.688917,434m/data=!3m1!1e3
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 15, 2021, 10:39:48 PM
I just sent this at-grade nonsense from the Adirondacks to a couple friends last night.  I imagine this leading to a lot of confusion for people making left turns, and therefore crashes.  https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1019636,-73.688917,434m/data=!3m1!1e3

Better or worse than IL-15/US-45 on the west end of Fairfield?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

I think the yields as opposed to stops along with the lack of "Do Not Enter" or "Wrong Way" signs is another major factor that would lead to crashes.

GaryV

That's close to the previous design of US-41 and the decommissioned business route in Marquette.  Until it got replaced by a roundabout.

sprjus4

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 10:30:22 AM

Better or worse than IL-15/US-45 on the west end of Fairfield?

I think the NY one is much worse (having just traveled through it last fall and noticing how weird it was). At least the IL one has only one point of conflict; the NY one has several, and only yield signs instead of stop signs. Here's the Street View; here's another angle (note the second crossing in the background).

kphoger

I like it.  Call me weird.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 11:13:44 AM
I like it.  Call me weird.

Cool from a visual standpoint, but questionable from a functional standpoint.

kphoger

Unless there is an actual high number of crashes there, I'm not questioning its functionality.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

The intersection of Emmet Street and Jefferson Park Avenue in Charlottesville used to have a similar layout to that and was controlled by yield signs. Unfortunately, the images on Historic Aerials are very grainy and blurry and you can't really see anything. Sometime after 1995, I guess the traffic got heavy enough that they decided to redesign the intersection and use a traffic light instead (except that traffic following southbound US-29 Business from Emmet to JPA can bypass the light). I liked it better the old way, but then, I usually prefer designs that don't use traffic lights when feasible.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

There's half of one where NY 12 and NY 37 meet.  One of the movements is handled with a U turn ramp.

US 9/NY 73 is interesting because it was built pre-Northway for a lot more traffic on US 9 than is there now.  Most traffic these days is probably going to NY 73 from the exit on the Northway a mile south of there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on March 16, 2021, 02:27:06 PM
US 9/NY 73 is interesting because it was built pre-Northway for a lot more traffic on US 9 than is there now.  Most traffic these days is probably going to NY 73 from the exit on the Northway a mile south of there.

Yup, that's what I was doing when passing through this past fall. A standard T-intersection with US 9 to NY 73 as the through movement would be more than sufficient.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on March 16, 2021, 02:27:06 PM
There's half of one where NY 12 and NY 37 meet.  One of the movements is handled with a U turn ramp.

Similar to Mexico 2/29, except that this is the extent of the U turn ramp.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2021, 02:35:22 PM
Similar to Mexico 2/29, except that this is the extent of the U turn ramp.

That looks like a leap of faith for large vehicles*.

*See what I did there?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.