News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Proposed US 412 Upgrade

Started by US71, May 22, 2021, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Rothman on June 18, 2021, 06:46:02 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 18, 2021, 05:24:53 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2021, 07:00:08 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 17, 2021, 05:57:43 PM
^^^^ you're just now starting to think that!?!! Lololol.. it took my about seeing 5-6 of his posts to come to that conclusion. I'm almost certain he is. I wonder what his opinion on the billion dollar I-69 project in Texas is? Or I am VERY interested to know what he thinks about the Port to Plains Corridor.

Way back in his posting history I seem to remember seeing that he identified as a former Tennessee politician, so I always just assumed that the fiscal-pants-crapping song-and-dance was a holdover from that and a terminal failure to recognize that a road forum isn't going to eat his performance up the way his constituents used to. But some of his recent behavior (like posting the same shtick in the FritzOwl thread of all places) is making me second-guess that assumption.

I was a former Tennessee politician.  I was duly elected by the people and I did save the taxpayers money whilst in office.  I am actually considering another run next cycle.
What office did you hold?

Why is that germane?

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sparker

If we're done (for the present) beating up on Dr. No, an observation might be a bit of a mood change.  Looking at the 412 corridor east of Tulsa (GSV), whoever configured the alignment did a bang-up job regarding the #1 obstacle to upgrading an existing facility -- they kept private access away from the facility, at least as far as the west end of the Cherokee pike.  East of there, from the east end of the turnpike (they might want to reconfigure that interchange to favor on/off pike movement) to West Siloam, there is private access, but everything is set back far enough to deploy frontage roads until the town itself is reached, at which point some sort of bypass would be required.  I understand that Siloam is becoming a regional retirement location, with extensive tract development extending away from present US 412; a solution will have to be devised that's locally acceptable (pardon me for being Captain Obvious here).  Chances are ARDOT will prefer something that will tie in to AR 612, so that would point to a more northern bypass of the Siloam area.  Nevertheless, the fact that the upgrades west of the pike would be relatively straightforward and not require new-terrain acquisition except for interchanges and overcrossings bodes well for the corridor project's prospects. 

Rothman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 18, 2021, 12:40:40 PM
^^^^ you're just now starting to think that!?!! Lololol.. it took my about seeing 5-6 of his posts to come to that conclusion. I'm almost certain he is. I wonder what his opinion on the billion dollar I-69 project in Texas is? Or I am VERY interested to know what he thinks about the Port to Plains Corridor.

Way back in his posting history I seem to remember seeing that he identified as a former Tennessee politician, so I always just assumed that the fiscal-pants-crapping song-and-dance was a holdover from that and a terminal failure to recognize that a road forum isn't going to eat his performance up the way his constituents used to. But some of his recent behavior (like posting the same shtick in the FritzOwl thread of all places) is making me second-guess that assumption.

I was a former Tennessee politician.  I was duly elected by the people and I did save the taxpayers money whilst in office.  I am actually considering another run next cycle.

Why is that germane?
So...Class Treasurer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 18, 2021, 12:40:40 PM

Why is that germane?

... because he was curious about it?

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on June 18, 2021, 09:40:36 PM
If we're done (for the present) beating up on Dr. No, an observation might be a bit of a mood change.  Looking at the 412 corridor east of Tulsa (GSV), whoever configured the alignment did a bang-up job regarding the #1 obstacle to upgrading an existing facility -- they kept private access away from the facility, at least as far as the west end of the Cherokee pike.  East of there, from the east end of the turnpike (they might want to reconfigure that interchange to favor on/off pike movement) to West Siloam, there is private access, but everything is set back far enough to deploy frontage roads until the town itself is reached, at which point some sort of bypass would be required.  I understand that Siloam is becoming a regional retirement location, with extensive tract development extending away from present US 412; a solution will have to be devised that's locally acceptable (pardon me for being Captain Obvious here).  Chances are ARDOT will prefer something that will tie in to AR 612, so that would point to a more northern bypass of the Siloam area.  Nevertheless, the fact that the upgrades west of the pike would be relatively straightforward and not require new-terrain acquisition except for interchanges and overcrossings bodes well for the corridor project's prospects.

As far as the Arkansas mileage east of an eventual Siloam Springs Bypass, a tie in with AR-612 before takes its big bend to the south to tie back into US-412 would make for a more direct facility than converting the current US-412 between Old Highway 68 and where bypass of Siloam Springs would take a swing south.  However, the easiest path between Siloam Springs and Tontitown has pretty much been used.  Most of the terrain straight west of AR-612 is hollows and creeks, so not as easy as the Illinois River valley to push through.  There's also the Logan Cave National Wildlife Refuge that would require a fairly large swing north of to prevent oil polluting the Karst ground that feeds the caves in the area that are home to Ozark Cavefish that aren't found anywhere else.  There's enough environmental types around here that would raise a stink that it's more likely that access roads/overpasses are utilized on the already 4-laned US-412 to convert to limited access and keep traffic to the south/downstream of that sensitive area.  At the time of this writing, there's still virtually no development between Old AR 68's eastern end and about a 1/4 mile east of the airport in Siloam Springs, so it wouldn't take many overpasses/exits and access roads for that stretch anyway to make a limited access facility out of it.  Biggest hurdle is Siloam Springs and completing the western segment of AR-612/US-412 Bypass.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 17, 2021, 07:07:29 PM

Fritzown and Avalanche would be hilarious to see as two challengers: when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

More like when a stoppable force meets a movable object.

Avalanchez71

The section of US 412 between Jackson and Dyersburg has no traffic lights.  Why not use this type of concept if you didn't like the superstreet, diverted left turn and roundabouts.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 21, 2021, 12:24:16 PM
The section of US 412 between Jackson and Dyersburg has no traffic lights.  Why not use this type of concept if you didn't like the superstreet, diverted left turn and roundabouts.
Heavier traffic volumes often cause conflict with right turning traffic and crossover traffic at minor streets. Interchanges, overpasses, and frontage roads eliminate the conflicts, keep local traffic on a local traffic grid, and through traffic an uninterrupted path of travel. It's also easier for that local traffic to enter into the through route.

I-55

In order to make a free flow US-412 in the state of Arkansas it will require a new alignment because there's too much existing traffic control in Siloam and Tontitown, which will be bypassed by a freeway AR 612. Any bypass of Siloam would probably hook into the Cherokee Tpk as well so that leaves the segment of 412 between the west end of the Cherokee and I-44, which is 27 miles, or only 16% of the proposed route distance in OK. In the name of consistency of route expectations this segment ought to be upgraded, and with the aforementioned ROW and terrain situation it would not be as expensive as most projects of this type.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-55 on June 23, 2021, 10:16:59 PM

In order to make a free flow US-412 in the state of Arkansas it will require a new alignment because there's too much existing traffic control in Siloam and Tontitown, which will be bypassed by a freeway AR 612. Any bypass of Siloam would probably hook into the Cherokee Tpk as well so that leaves the segment of 412 between the west end of the Cherokee and I-44, which is 27 miles, or only 16% of the proposed route distance in OK. In the name of consistency of route expectations this segment ought to be upgraded, and with the aforementioned ROW and terrain situation it would not be as expensive as most projects of this type.

Well I am sure that these folks bought here because there is no Interstate in their respective backyards. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1529665,-94.5365398,3a,75y,243.35h,93.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfHZz92BSY6TC36z3VWNTVA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DfHZz92BSY6TC36z3VWNTVA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D177.10088%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i3328!8i1664

Scott5114

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 24, 2021, 07:38:25 AM

Well I am sure that these folks bought here because there is no Interstate in their respective backyards. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1529665,-94.5365398,3a,75y,243.35h,93.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sfHZz92BSY6TC36z3VWNTVA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DfHZz92BSY6TC36z3VWNTVA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D177.10088%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i3328!8i1664

And there were probably deer that settled there at one point because there were no humans in their respective backyards.

Who gives a damn?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

Well, they might be in luck, because an interstate highway bypass would likely be built around the northern side of town.

And either way... who cares? In the end, the new route is either not affecting their property directly, or if it is, they will be compensated. It's a pretty typical process for new construction or when right of way acquisition is involved.

sparker

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 24, 2021, 01:05:48 PM

And there were probably deer that settled there at one point because there were no humans in their respective backyards.

Who gives a damn?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

It's simply a matter of "if argument "A" based on cost isn't gaining traction, then argument "B" regarding potential imposition on NWA residents is substituted".  It's obvious this guy functions as one of the more vocal of our resident BANANA's; his reasons for staking out that position are a bit vague as to motivation.  Since there's an admirable attempt to leave political beliefs out of these discussions, we'll probably have to do a bit of creative interpolation here.  But at least the guy's consistent!   

Scott5114

Quote from: sparker on June 24, 2021, 01:20:54 PM
It's simply a matter of "if argument "A" based on cost isn't gaining traction, then argument "B" regarding potential imposition on NWA residents is substituted".  It's obvious this guy functions as one of the more vocal of our resident BANANA's; his reasons for staking out that position are a bit vague as to motivation.  Since there's an admirable attempt to leave political beliefs out of these discussions, we'll probably have to do a bit of creative interpolation here.  But at least the guy's consistent!   

He's a former Tennessee politician. As to why he thinks we need the Tennessee politician fiscal pants-crapping song and dance here, who knows.

sprjus4

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 24, 2021, 01:25:53 PM
Quote from: sparker on June 24, 2021, 01:20:54 PM

He's a former Tennessee politician. As to why he thinks we need the Tennessee politician fiscal pants-crapping song and dance here, who knows.
It's almost like he has some sort of political tie or interest to this region or corridor at interest. He's noted before he would be negatively affected by expansion of I-65 which is the reason he opposes it. Not for any sound engineering reasons of course, or needs of the motoring public, which he then just disregards as the existing conditions are acceptable with no evidence to support his claims. He'll even say taking an alternative route to avoid the interstate is something he'll do, then say that's why the interstate is acceptable.

In_Correct

A Border Line Sock Puppet?

Also I never liked the "Not In My Back Yard" phrase. Nothing is in their back yards. Not even close! If they expanded Bus routes are they going to act as if Buses are parking in their back yards?

As for property loss: it is replaced with financial compensation so they can buy even more property. And if they have plenty of money, which they often do, they could move their houses to their new property as well.

... not unlike that Northern Exposure episode where Maurice J. Minnifield moved his house.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 24, 2021, 01:20:03 PM

Well, they might be in luck, because an interstate highway bypass would likely be built around the northern side of town.

And either way... who cares? In the end, the new route is either not affecting their property directly, or if it is, they will be compensated. It's a pretty typical process for new construction or when right of way acquisition is involved.

Topographically, it'd be much easier to develop a bypass around the north end of Smith Field and run close to Davidson Rd., then try to follow the Flint Creek valley as much as is practical back to the current eastern terminus of the Cherokee Turnpike.  You'll notice if you look at Google Maps that all of the roads on the north side of town tend to run either N/S or E/W because it is flat there, however, that is also the same draw for residential development, which is rapidly expanding that way.  South of Siloam Springs where the previous link alluded to, is not conducive for road development as it's mostly hollows leading down into the Illinois River valley.  Not impossible to develop through, but more expensive than around the north end as long as it happens before it becomes more heavily developed.

MikieTimT

There's no Interstate in my backyard either currently, but live anywhere in a growing area long enough, and there starts to be plans to change that eventually.  There is likely to be a western beltway in NWA in 20 years or so when they max out the I-49 corridor to 8 lanes.  And that beltway would be almost certainly within 2 miles of my home, so that would certainly change the environment of my neighborhood.  Much as we'd like, there's only so much you can do to stand in the way of progress.  Seclusion within 8 miles of any existing major highway in a growing area is fleeting at best.  Just have to take your increased property value and hop a little further down the road to start the process over if unable to adapt to the changes.

sparker

You know, I'm beginning to think that our erstwhile naysaying "former TN politician" had, at one point, a piece of property acquired via eminent domain -- possibly for a freeway or expressway ROW (maybe even I-840) and is, to say the least, soured on the developmental process (he's now chiming in with the IN/I-69 thread claiming IN 37 was sufficient -- talk about too little too late!). 

Scott5114

I think it's more likely he's one of those "starve the beast" types that gets indignant if the government spends a nickel on anything that doesn't directly benefit him.

sparker

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 24, 2021, 03:49:48 PM
I think it's more likely he's one of those "starve the beast" types that gets indignant if the government spends a nickel on anything that doesn't directly benefit him.

....and obviously he sees no benefit in much of anything beyond a 2-lane (if that!) road in his vicinity (hence his objections to improvements in so-called "pristine" areas).  I'd think a horse track would suit his criteria just fine!

In_Correct

A Horse Track might make him satisfied,

As long as The Horse Track is not funded by The Government.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on June 24, 2021, 04:19:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 24, 2021, 03:49:48 PM

....and obviously he sees no benefit in much of anything beyond a 2-lane (if that!) road in his vicinity (hence his objections to improvements in so-called "pristine" areas).  I'd think a horse track would suit his criteria just fine!

Likely retired or otherwise not required to endure commutes like many here.  When traffic isn't an impediment to timely trips to where you have to be, then why would you want taxpayer-funded improvements?  It's like Bella Vista Village up here in NWA.  It took a wholesale demographic change before what was originally a retirement community elected to build the first school in the city, obviously funded with property tax revenue.  Folks on fixed incomes in their twilight years have nothing but time on their hands to fight tooth and nail against change of any sort, but if an area is nice and cheap enough, it eventually draws younger folks too, with all of their infrastructural needs as well not too far behind.  In this case, it brought so many that there's dozens of miles of mountain bike trails cut all over Bella Vista with a tie-in to the Razorback Greenway for access to most of the rest in NWA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.