News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Changing Highways with Very Little or No Warning

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, May 30, 2021, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The change in Newark, NJ on NJ 21 from freeway to arterial. Considering the signal at Third Avenue is hindered from view due to a curve, you would think freeway end warnings would be implemented there or a mast arm with the RED Signal Ahead neon sign would be placed before the curve like on other Jersey highways after a long distance without a signal.

The other way is bad due to you riding on a city street for so long and pass through Third Avenue and Viola you are on a freeway with the next exit being a mile further.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zachary_amaryllis

i always felt like the merge from us-40 onto i-70 near empire was sort of unceremonious.. from 40 east to 70 east..
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 30, 2021, 11:02:02 AM
Are there any other examples in your travels? Share them here. As always, thank you in advance for your responses and stay safe.

Another example that was pretty bad was in Frederick County, Maryland, east of the municipality of the same name.  I-70 just ended with little warning and became arterial U.S. 40 (now MD-144) from the east side of Frederick to Ijamsville, where I-70 resumed after about 3 miles of divided four lane highway.  This was remediated when I-70 was finally completed in Maryland (excluding the cancelled part in Baltimore city) about 1990 as the segment between Exit 56 and Exit 59 (MD-144) [no exit for eastbound traffic] was completed. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

webny99

Quote from: andrepoiy on May 31, 2021, 07:36:07 PM
Going eastbound on Highway 409 in Toronto, it not only merges into Highway 401, it is SIGNED as Highway 401 way before the merge even though it's Highway 409!!!

Almost identical situation here with I-490 WB signed as I-90 nearly 3 miles before it reaches the Thruway.

hbelkins

The old end of I-40 in Greensboro used to be like this. Without notice, you were merging onto northbound I-85.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SeriesE

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on May 30, 2021, 04:58:51 PM
Other than a lone blink-and-you'll-miss-it stake mounted shield at the merge that reads "End 405,"  there's no other indication that you're merging onto the 5 at the northern end of the 405 in Sylmar, CA.

Same thing happens on the southern end except there's not even an end sign there.

Skye

The Ohio Turnpike near Youngstown changes from I-80 to I-76 (Eastbound or vice-versa westbound) without you turning or moving.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Skye on June 05, 2021, 09:59:28 PM
The Ohio Turnpike near Youngstown changes from I-80 to I-76 (Eastbound or vice-versa westbound) without you turning or moving.
But I think that the change is signed.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.