News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Freeways that should be demolished

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 02, 2021, 10:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I know that on AAroads most of us are opposed to freeway demolition, but are there any that you do think should be demolished?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

PastTense

sprjus4

tolbs17

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ztonyg

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 02, 2021, 10:53:07 PM
Maybe the Durham Freeway.

It looks like a direct connector is being built between the Durham Freeway and the US 70 freeway. It appears that the Durham Freeway northwest of this connector could be removed and most traffic that used this segment could use the existing Durham Freeway south of this point as well as the US 70 freeway and I-85 (essentially the I-885 corridor). 

tolbs17

Quote from: ztonyg on June 02, 2021, 11:49:44 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on June 02, 2021, 10:53:07 PM
Maybe the Durham Freeway.

It looks like a direct connector is being built between the Durham Freeway and the US 70 freeway. It appears that the Durham Freeway northwest of this connector could be removed and most traffic that used this segment could use the existing Durham Freeway south of this point as well as the US 70 freeway and I-85 (essentially the I-885 corridor).
Which may require extra lanes.

ztonyg

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 02, 2021, 10:50:17 PM
I know that on AAroads most of us are opposed to freeway demolition, but are there any that you do think should be demolished?

I actually have a few.

I-70 between Kansas City, KS and the I-35/I-70/I-29 interchange NE of Downtown Kansas City. The remaining freeway could be a spur into downtown Kansas City, KS. I-670 is the logical through route in this location anyways and it would prevent a lot of useless merging to stay on I-70 not to mention it would open up the Kansas City, MO waterfront. The I-35 freeway north of I-670 would simply become US 169 with both I-70 and I-35 following I-670 until the I-670 / I-70 / US 71 interchange SE of Downtown Kansas City with I-35 turning N/B at that point.

The freeway along the Cleveland waterfront carrying US 20 and OH 2. It serves as a barrier to the waterfront and while it may be a commuter shortcut seems relatively redundant to I-90.

I-229 in downtown St. Joseph, MO.  See above for rationale.

I-10 in New Orleans (the Claiborne Ave. portion). The remaining portions of I-10 could be spur routes and I-610 would be the I-10 through route.

One that gets mentoned a lot that I would NOT support tearing down is I-345. I actually think it serves as a vital link in the Dallas freeway system.

SkyPesos

OH 59 freeway section in downtown Akron and the Madison Ave Expy loop in downtown Youngstown. Both AADT is between 13k-18k, which isn't really worth going out of the way to remove right now, but as short downtown loops, it may be worth removing over repaving when the roadway reaches the end of its useful life.

ztonyg

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 03, 2021, 12:25:51 AM
OH 59 freeway section in downtown Akron and the Madison Ave Expy loop in downtown Youngstown. Both AADT is between 13k-18k, which isn't really worth going out of the way to remove right now, but as short downtown loops, it may be worth removing over repaving when the roadway reaches the end of its useful life.

Hasn't some of the OH 59 freeway already been demolished?

In_Correct

Freeways should never be demolished.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

TheHighwayMan3561

I wouldn't really be surprised if in the next 15-20 years, the 4th St viaduct in Minneapolis gets torn down and replaced with a surface road or at least something smaller in size.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bickendan

Quote from: In_Correct on June 03, 2021, 12:51:18 AM
Are you implying that Harbor Drive and the Embarcadero shouldn't have been removed?

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

Old I-170.

Amstutz Expressway.

CA 710 in Pasadena.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bwana39

Quote from: Rothman on June 03, 2021, 06:47:50 AM
Interstate 30.

Interstate 30 where?  this sure seems out of the blue????
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: Bickendan on June 03, 2021, 02:27:19 AM
Are you implying that Harbor Drive and the Embarcadero shouldn't have been removed?

My take is those freeways which were built to insulate the city from the "Dirty" docks had outlived their usefulness. The bayside had become much more something to be relished and huge tourist draws as opposed to their earlier place where commercial cargo and fishing operations were the main thing there. It would be akin to building a freeway adjacent to a rail yard today.  It is a good fit UNTIL the rail yard goes away.  The figurative rail yard along the bay went away...
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

thspfc

I-44 between Busch Stadium and I-70 in St. Louis.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 03, 2021, 05:36:25 AM
How about I-180 in IL?
It's not needed but it's not exactly hurting anyone just sitting there.

index

Quote from: Bickendan on June 03, 2021, 02:27:19 AM
And also the Alaskan Way and all the other no-good urban freeways like it. Seattle's waterfront is simply better without it being clogged up by that disaster. It's open, safer, better for business, and more scenic. Some places are better off without them. Roadgeek me enjoys the look and feel and existence of these pieces of infrastructure, but practical, reality-based me abhors them.

That said, in my dream world, I-277 is gone. However, I don't think it's actually feasible in this case. Too important of a route to really have a feasible alternative. I would like to see a highway lid over it with parks and water features or something. Uptown Charlotte, at times, is too drab and business-oriented at times and it could really use some more life breathed into it. Charlotte really isn't a city that people visit from the outside, other than a few specific things.

The removal of the expressway viaduct to the Hart Bridge in Jacksonville is welcomed by me, and it'd be smart if they removed that silly viaduct to the Main Street Bridge too. Aside from when there's a game, downtown Jacksonville is as dead as a doornail, so it's not like they need all that. Best they open it up to let downtown actually live up to its potential.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Revive 755

Quote from: thspfc on June 03, 2021, 11:08:22 AM
I-44 between Busch Stadium and I-70 in St. Louis.

Absolutely not.  The St. Louis area is already severely lacking in north-south corridors, and the recent ramp reconfigurations provide much better access to the Eads Bridge in case the PSB and/or the connecting ramps have issues.

tolbs17

I-40 through Memphis and reroute it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.