News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Decommissioned US routes

Started by Voyager, March 22, 2009, 08:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Could we get a list going of them?

US 40 in California.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

ComputerGuy

For WA:

US 10
US 410
US 95
US 295
US 830
US 99

R.I.P.

Alex

You pretty much can find what you want to know about them on http://www.us-highways.com/ or http://www.geocities.com/mapguy_denver/HwyEnds/

A better question to ask would be, what are some known former alignments of U.S. highways (dead and relocated). Those are not as readily available on the web.

Voyager

un1

US 66, no one can forget about it.  :-D
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Alex

Like the fact that U.S. 90 once used Joachim Street in Mobile. It was an early alignment through the city, and the street now no longer connects with current U.S. 90 (Beauregard Street).

ComputerGuy

Washington Realignments:

US 99: Now I-5, SR 99, etc.
US 10: US 2, I-90
US 410: SR 8, US 101, I-5, SR 410, US 12
US 295: SR 127, SR 26
US 95: US 195 Spur
US 830: SR 4, I-5, SR 14

corco

Don't forget the decommissioned stretch of US-195. It used to continue along US-2 back up to US-95 in Sandpoint.

Also US-197 used to run from JCT SR 14 eastward to JCT US-97

Alex

Another alignment shift, U.S. 90 currently runs along its own alignment from MS across the Rigolets into New Orleans. Before the bridge over the Pearl River was built, U.S. 90 headed northwest and joined U.S. 11 at Saint Rose, MS, following a since-abandoned alignment southwest into Louisiana. U.S. 11/90 used to continue all the way into New Orleans together too.

Alex

I have seen many maps with U.S. 52 Spur in Charleston, going back many years too, but having looked twice (in 2006 and 2007), there is no such route in the field. So was it signed, or was it an internal-DOT route?

AZDude

U.S. 60 (and 70) used to run all the way through Grand Ave. in Phoenix, then through Van Buren Street/Mill Ave, then Apache Blvd/Main Street/Apache Trail/Oldwest highway before the Freeway section was built.

cjk374

US 80-- San Diego, CA to Dallas, TX.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Greybear

In Texas:

US 75 - Dallas to Galveston
US 81 - Fort Worth to Laredo

RoadWarrior56

US 460 from near Frankfort, KY (current western terminus) all the way to St. Louis, MO.

Michael

The entire length of US 104 was changed to NY 104 in 1972.  US 15 was changed to NY 15 from Painted Post to Rochester in 1974.  Both roads are mostly on their original alignments.

wandering drive

US 169 and US 212 ran through Minneapolis up to the early 80's, when US-169 was moved west into the suburbs and US-212, which had once met its parent highway US-212, was truncated to end at MN-62 and US-169.  Most recently, the two highways which used to share a two-to-three lane road from Eden Prairie to north of Shakopee have both been re-routed to four-lane expressways, US-212 to the north (replacing MN-312) and US-169 to the east.
A more detailed history can be found at Steve Riner's excellent Minnesota Highway page: http://www.steve-riner.com/mnhighways/r152-218.htm

Wiki says: Minnesota 210 from Carlton to Motley (the eastern portion of the present day highway) was originally part of U.S. Route 210 from 1926 to 1973.

During 1973, U.S. Route 210 was deleted from Carlton to Motley and re-designated Minnesota 210 that same year.

U.S. Route 210 was originally commissioned in 1926 by AASHTO, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, as one of the original U.S. Routes.

Revive 755

For Missouri, the part of MO 100 east of I-44 at Gray Summit was originally part of US 50, and I believe US 66 also followed that route for a little while.

Before being relocated to pass around St. Louis City, US 67 used to turn north on MO 21, turn east on MO 30 to Kingshighway, follow Kingshighway up to I-70, then took the outer roads of I-70 to what is now MO 367 and followed MO 367 north.

On the Illinois side of the St. Louis area, US 50 followed IL 3 up to I-55/I-70 and then east on I-64.  There's still a US 50 shield in Dupo that escape removal:

Prior to that, US 50 went east out of East St. Louis on St. Clair Avenue, Lincoln Trail, and a route through O' Fallon still called Highway 50.

Duke87

QuoteA better question to ask would be, what are some known former alignments of U.S. highways (dead and relocated). Those are not as readily available on the web.

Some are obvious.

- Two sections of former US 6 alignment in Cape Cod are now MA 6A. One replaced by the Mid-Cape Highway, one in Truro and Provincetown.
- old US 7 routing north of Bennington is now VT 7A.
- a few old sections of US 13 through towns in the Eastern Shore are now VA 13.

Some are less obvious, and smaller scale so much more easily missed.

- US 1 used to go through Stamford, CT down Main Street. Main Street today exists in no less than four disconnected pieces, and US 1 has, since the 70's, gone through downtown on Tresser Boulevard, a newer and wider street to the south.
- at Grist Mill Road in Norwalk, US 7 now makes two sudden turns to get onto the perpetually unfinished "super 7". Main Avenue south of there, the former alignment, is now CT 719 as far as CT 123, and then part of CT 123 the rest of the way to US 1.
- US 7 and US 202 used to enter Danbury by way of Federal Road. They then shared White street and Lake Avenue with US 6. All three now just use I-84 through town, resulting in a four-route multiplex.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

tchafe1978

US 16 in Wisconsin is now WI-16.

mattpedersen

US 48 = I-68 from Morgantown WV to Hancock MD
US 240 is now MD 355 and/or I-270 from Frederick MD to Washington DC
US 140 is now MD 140 and MD 97 from Baltimore MD to Gettysburg PA
US 213 is now MD 213 or US 50 from Elkton MD to Ocean City MD
US 111 is now I-83 from Baltimore MD to Harrisburg PA

US71

For Missouri, the part of MO 100 east of I-44 at Gray Summit was originally part of US 50, and I believe US 66 also followed that route for a little while.

Yes, it did. It was always intended as a temporary routing for 66 until the other alignment was completed.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Voyager

Does anyone think that US 299 should have been decommissioned?

ComputerGuy

If it had been extended into Nevada, I would have said it shouldn't. Since it didn't, I say it should have been decommissioned.

On a lighter note: US 199, no US 99 anymore, so change it to a US 397 and extend it to Kalamath Falls.

Avalanchez71

US 666
US 91 is barely anything of the original route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.