Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: Michael on April 11, 2018, 06:51:49 PM
I saw this last night on Imgur:

It was also posted on Reddit.

RI's confused comedic attempt to inform drivers about Work Zone Awareness Week perhaps.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

signalman

Quote from: roadman on April 20, 2018, 12:28:19 PM
Quote from: Michael on April 11, 2018, 06:51:49 PM
I saw this last night on Imgur:

It was also posted on Reddit.

RI's confused attempt to inform drivers about Work Zone Awareness Week perhaps.
I wouldn't say confused, so much as a comedic attempt that likely went sailing over many people's heads.

myosh_tino

I'm surprised no one has jumped on a recent story out of Seattle.  For some reason, a VMS on I-5 displayed the message "U SUCK" to motorists.  Here's a link to the story which includes a photo of the sign... https://sso.cmgdigital.com/static/server.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kiro7.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fu-suck-appears-on-i-5-traffic-sign%2F734138678
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

wanderer2575

This was on VMSs in Metro Detroit a week or so ago:

A STEERING WHEEL
       IS NOT A
HANDS-FREE DEVICE

7/8

I saw these all across I-80 in Nebraska on Friday. It seems like a sad attempt at a rhyme :pan:

US71

There's a new VMS on I-49 near the 412 bip-pass:

Drive Hammered
Get Nailed

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pink Jazz

Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2018, 04:12:32 PM

Drive Hammered
Get Nailed

This apparently was copied from ADOT.

US71

Quote from: Pink Jazz on April 30, 2018, 07:46:28 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 30, 2018, 04:12:32 PM

Drive Hammered
Get Nailed

This apparently was copied from ADOT.

ARDOT admits they are copying other states

Richard3

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 12, 2016, 01:23:01 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on September 12, 2016, 01:06:07 PM
Quote from: DevalDragon on September 10, 2016, 11:57:28 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on September 10, 2016, 01:49:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2016, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on September 07, 2016, 01:07:11 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

MassDOT should learn that punctuation matters, as I don't understand why French affirmatives ruin lives.

I have no idea what it even means.  Good job, MassDOT.  For all I know, OUI is a political organization and MassDOT is telling me not to vote for them.

Besides, the common parlance around here is DUI, not OUI.

We use DWI down in Texas.
I believe they mean different things. I think one is alcohol, while the other is alcohol or other drugs. Don't remember which one is which, though

Driving While Intoxicated

Driving Under (the) Influence.

I believe DUI is more broad than DWI.

Letters D and O are not even close from each other on the keyboard, so maybe OUI means Operating Under Influence?

Just askin'...
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

SSR_317

Quote from: Richard3 on May 01, 2018, 01:57:15 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 12, 2016, 01:23:01 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on September 12, 2016, 01:06:07 PM
Quote from: DevalDragon on September 10, 2016, 11:57:28 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on September 10, 2016, 01:49:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2016, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on September 07, 2016, 01:07:11 PM
"OUI RUINS LIVES"

MassDOT should learn that punctuation matters, as I don't understand why French affirmatives ruin lives.

I have no idea what it even means.  Good job, MassDOT.  For all I know, OUI is a political organization and MassDOT is telling me not to vote for them.

Besides, the common parlance around here is DUI, not OUI.

We use DWI down in Texas.
I believe they mean different things. I think one is alcohol, while the other is alcohol or other drugs. Don't remember which one is which, though

Driving While Intoxicated

Driving Under (the) Influence.

I believe DUI is more broad than DWI.

Letters D and O are not even close from each other on the keyboard, so maybe OUI means Operating Under Influence?

Just askin'...
Yes, the "O" stands for "Operating". But not all drunk drivers are surgeons! :)

roadman

DUI - Driving under the influence
OUI - Operating under the influence
DWI - Driving while intoxicated

The specific acronym used in each state has much to do with how that particular state's laws are phrased.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US 89

Quote from: roadman on May 01, 2018, 01:48:51 PM
DUI - Driving under the influence
OUI - Operating under the influence
DWI - Driving while intoxicated

The specific acronym used in each state has much to do with how that particular state's laws are phrased.

There's also DUII, which is driving under the influence of intoxicants.

Also, some states have BUI or CUI -- biking/cycling under the influence.

oscar

Seen this morning on a VMS along WB I-66 in Arlington VA, between Lee Hwy. (US 29) and Glebe Rd. (VA 120):

MAY THE 4TH
BE WITH YOU

DRIVE SAFELY

Alas, by the time I went back there with my camera, the afternoon rush was approaching, and the VMS was changed to toll-related messages. After the tolls ended for the day, and also in the EB lanes both afternoon and evening, the VMSes just showed travel times.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jon daly

Rhode Island had something about drunk driving leading to the Dark Side. I suppose that's better than an earlier message about drunk driving having a Ripple effect. That message was tailor made for the late Fred Sanford.

I don't know if I'm glad that other states have absurd VMS messages. Frankly,I'm more interested in how long it takes to get to Providence or the CT/RI border.

formulanone

Quote from: jon daly on May 04, 2018, 07:59:52 PM
Rhode Island had something about drunk driving leading to the Dark Side.

December 2016 on I-55, courtesy of AHTD / ARDOT around the time Rouge One was to debut in theaters:

BrosephTX

Well this is from back when it snowed here in Texas this winter.

kphoger

Missouri never fails to disappoint.  Or, rather, it always manages to disappoint.

I saw this one yesterday on I-35:

#BUPD
Buckle   Up
Phone  Down

Seriously??  A hashtag??  Are we trying to be cool??
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SSR_317

Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2018, 01:25:39 PM
Missouri never fails to disappoint.  Or, rather, it always manages to disappoint.

#BUPD
Buckle   Up
Phone  Down

And by using a hashtag, they may inadvertently be encouraging DWT (Driving While Texting), a/k/a OWT (Operating While Texting).

US71

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 29, 2018, 11:56:17 PM
This was on VMSs in Metro Detroit a week or so ago:

A STEERING WHEEL
       IS NOT A
HANDS-FREE DEVICE

But Louisiana has "Hands Free" Zones ;)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: SSR_317 on May 21, 2018, 10:55:53 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2018, 01:25:39 PM

#BUPD
Buckle   Up
Phone  Down

And by using a hashtag, they may inadvertently be encouraging DWT (Driving While Texting), a/k/a OWT (Operating While Texting).

I know in ADOT's Safety Message Contest, they actually said no to submissions containing hashtags.

Richard3

Taken last Saturday near Centreville, IL.  Blurred by the rain, but still readable.

For those who can't read, it's written:

CARS HAVE BUMPERS
BIKERS HAVE BONES
SHARE THE ROAD
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

Quote from: Richard3 on May 21, 2018, 10:14:19 PM
Taken last Saturday near Centreville, IL.  Blurred by the rain, but still readable.

CARS HAVE BUMPERS
BIKERS HAVE BONES
SHARE THE ROAD
Display a cyclist safety message on a road where cyclists aren't legally allowed to travel.  No wonder they call the agency IDIOT.  (In fairness, MassDOT's done the same thing - but with a more conventional message - in the past.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2018, 02:34:59 PM

CARS HAVE BUMPERS
BIKERS HAVE BONES
SHARE THE ROAD
Display a cyclist safety message on a road where cyclists aren't legally allowed to travel.  No wonder they call the agency IDIOT.  (In fairness, MassDOT's done the same thing - but with a more conventional message - in the past.)

They're referring to motorcycles.

Many states have a similar message.

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 22, 2018, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2018, 02:34:59 PM

CARS HAVE BUMPERS
BIKERS HAVE BONES
SHARE THE ROAD

They're referring to motorcycles.

Many states have a similar message.

D'oh!  Thanks for the clarification.  Around here, 'bikers' and 'cyclists' are used interchangeably to describe bicycle riders.  And "Share The Road" is normally used by DOTs and others in reference to bicycles, not motorcycles.  Hence my confusion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.