News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Recalled passing this button-copy dinosaur in late March...Likely the last of the button copy along I-70 in (eastern) Utah:

https://goo.gl/maps/RSVS5SbXrr4XRszt5

And still holding up better than the 8-10 year old reflective signage that is currently along I-70.

US 89

Quote from: thenetwork on May 19, 2020, 11:57:21 AM

Recalled passing this button-copy dinosaur in late March...Likely the last of the button copy along I-70 in (eastern) Utah:

https://goo.gl/maps/RSVS5SbXrr4XRszt5

And still holding up better than the 8-10 year old reflective signage that is currently along I-70.

Nice. I’d seen that before and suspected it could be button copy, but could never get a close enough look to confirm.

That raises the count of button copy signs I know of in Utah up to 4. There are probably a few more out there, but they’re a very rare breed in this state - one of UDOT’s favorite hobbies is replacing signs.

csw

Speaking of button copy, the large collection of button copy signs in Weirton, WV (at least 20 assemblies), is still kicking. Most everything on the Steubenville side of the US 22/OH 7 route is clearview, but there are a few left on the Ohio side as well. This is the on-ramp to the US 22 freeway from downtown Weirton.

There is also plenty at the I-79/US 50 interchange east of Clarksburg, WV, still up. Only got photos of a few, though, due to rain.

I was also surprised to find this sign in Meadville, PA, of all places.

Roadgeekteen

For MA 128 fans, not sure if this is still there.

Photo from alpsroads
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

csw

Since there is no button copy in Virginia, I have to settle for the next-best thing: old spec overheads. Some features of these older signs include long exit arrows, US Route shields with skinny waists, and smaller digits within the shields. Here's most of what I've found so far.

Faded numerals, skinny US shields, and small digits in the secondary route circle.

Long side arrow, skinny shields, and small digits, all on the righthand sign.

Skinny US shields with small digits. (Also, three exit arrows?)

Small digits in both shields.

Small digits on a secondary route circle.

1/3 mile distance and long exit arrow.

Small digits in the shield.

Skinny US shields, small digits, and long side arrows. Sadly this overhead was recently taken down.

Long side arrow and some worn shields.

This may not be the most interesting of posts, but with most new Virginia signs being Clearview, it's nice to stumble on an old one every once in a while.

SidS1045

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2020, 06:00:42 PM

Photo from alpsroads

If that's the one I think it is (eastbound MA 9, approaching the 128 interchange) it's still there, but in substantially worse condition than what's shown in that photo.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Ben114

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 26, 2020, 09:04:51 PM

Photo from alpsroads

If that's the one I think it is (eastbound MA 9, approaching the 128 interchange) it's still there, but in substantially worse condition than what's shown in that photo.

September 2019 Street View shows that it's still there.

STLmapboy

Quote from: Ben114 on August 26, 2020, 10:08:45 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on August 26, 2020, 09:04:51 PM

Photo from alpsroads

September 2019 Street View shows that it's still there.
Albeit peeling fast, goddamn.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

HTM Duke

Lloyd, FL, on Jefferson CR 158 west approaching FL-59:
https://goo.gl/maps/PK2YJk2w6Vrak5YD9

Also a bit erroneous, as evidenced by the peeling COUNTY sticker at the bottom of the sign.  (Did FL-59 ever fall out of the primary system at one point?)
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

roadfro

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 10, 2020, 09:52:27 PM
Is this button copy on the two yellow diamonds at the bottom of this sign? Even if it isn't, it's still very old looking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.3372813,-95.4254963,3a,27.3y,45.41h,88.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqU6m_-Y4VJxhry-0Z3MVFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

"Button copy" specifically refers to text (and select other elements) on signs manufactured with small reflector elements placed within the letters (old, kinda dirty example). This was commonly used before the advent of reflective sheeting as an alternative to using external lighting to illuminate a sign at night.

What you see here are Type 1 object markers (OM1-1 to be exact, yellow square with yellow reflectors), mounted in a square orientation instead of the normal diamond.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tylert120

Found some button copy signs, which I consider to be rare in the Pittsburgh area, along the interchanges of PA 28 in northeastern Allegheny County. This part of PA 28 underwent a major makeover and included a lot of sign upgrades a few years ago but it appears some of the button copy signs survived. Here is a sign for Pittsburgh and Kittanning at the Natrona Heights exit in Fawn/Harrison Townships: https://goo.gl/maps/bQjwRCYQNiWBZpf26

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: tylert120 on November 30, 2020, 09:40:01 AM
Found some button copy signs, which I consider to be rare in the Pittsburgh area, along the interchanges of PA 28 in northeastern Allegheny County. This part of PA 28 underwent a major makeover and included a lot of sign upgrades a few years ago but it appears some of the button copy signs survived. Here is a sign for Pittsburgh and Kittanning at the Natrona Heights exit in Fawn/Harrison Townships: https://goo.gl/maps/bQjwRCYQNiWBZpf26

I've never seen box beam barrier like that outside NY. It looks like a very old style that NY used, rarely seen anymore.

tylert120

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 30, 2020, 09:55:25 AM
Quote from: tylert120 on November 30, 2020, 09:40:01 AM

I've never seen box beam barrier like that outside NY. It looks like a very old style that NY used, rarely seen anymore.

Yeah it is not common around here. It was actually removed when PA 28 underwent a makeover a few years ago and the interchange areas were paved. There is no longer a guide rail of any type in the median. They went with ground mounted delineators inside the concrete median instead.

formulanone

An older-spec Georgia 75 Alternate sign:

formulanone

Old stuff still hanging around in Vancouver and North Vancouver (pics from 2018):

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on January 20, 2021, 05:20:11 AM
Old stuff still hanging around in Vancouver and North Vancouver (pics from 2018):

Yes! I love it!

Vancouver has an incredible amount of ancient, worn signage. One of my favorites is here in West Van. So. Many. Fonts. In. BC.

billpa

Quote from: jakeroot on January 20, 2021, 01:55:35 PM

Yes! I love it!

Vancouver has an incredible amount of ancient, worn signage. One of my favorites is here in West Van. So. Many. Fonts. In. BC.
The street blade sign on the signal mast near that spot actually says Route 1. Does anyone use the word "route" in BC?

Pixel 2

Billy F 1988

Looks as if the first two in this set use a Le Hey type of font like the old signage in Massachusetts.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

jakeroot

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 23, 2021, 11:23:19 PM
Looks as if the first two in this set use a Le Hey type of font like the old signage in Massachusetts.

It's usually just referred to as the "BC font", but it definitely has some similarities to Le Hey.

csw

Confirmed the presence of some old New Hampshire signage today.

White background shield heading east out of Concord.

This sign in Concord references the "city proper", even though you're already basically in the city proper (US 3/Main St. is only 2.5 blocks away).

An outstanding assembly in Manchester.

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

formulanone

Quote from: kenarmy on March 07, 2021, 03:42:57 PM
https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ms/us_98/wlog.jpg
I wonder is this sign still around

They're out and about in Mississippi; this one is on MS 33:

formulanone

Found an old county route sign in New Jersey last week:

JoePCool14

An ODOT miracle. I didn't think it was possible. A good-looking, modern sign with no Clearview.

https://goo.gl/maps/J9XJiTTAGPpRUEkd7

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.