News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Still love your landline? Phone service providers are getting closer to phasing

Started by ZLoth, February 06, 2024, 07:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ZLoth on February 10, 2024, 09:31:18 AM

Quote from: kphoger on February 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM

Quote from: ZLoth on February 09, 2024, 02:21:20 PMI just tried searching for traditional landline service for my area... and failed.

Your location says Richardson, TX.  Doesn't Spectrum offer home phone service there?

As I stated, "traditional" landline service aka POTS which is a line from my home to the switching office. Spectrum does offer Internet and Mobile phone service, but not VoIP service. Also, their gigabit service only offers gigabit download, not upload. That's important when you upload backups while you are sleeping. That's one of the reasons I switched from Spectrum to AT&T Internet, the other is that AT&T Fiber was cheaper.

OK.  I thought they also had POTS phone service in your area.  I used to dispatch for contracted Time Warner cable techs in the Dallas area.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

Quote from: SP Cook on February 10, 2024, 12:39:36 PMTwo things are clear to me.

- There are lots of places where neither "good" internet (or any internet) service, nor a cell phone service exist.
- No one, in either party, at any level, anywhere, gives a d*** about the people that live there.

Are you talking about the majority of people who live in the Mountain Standard Time zone which has just 6.7% of the total United States population?

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2024, 12:41:17 PMOK.  I thought they also had POTS phone service in your area.  I used to dispatch for contracted Time Warner cable techs in the Dallas area.

Honestly, I don't know if Frontier services my area or not. Just because I just wanted to compare the pricing of "traditional" verses "VoIP" landline service, including the dialing areas. I don't doubt that "traditional" POTS service exists, but only for legacy customers.

ZLoth

It is always... amusing... when I her the excuses and resistance from people when moving from older, somewhat out-of-date, technology and into modern technology where, in the long run, it offers more functionality and is cheaper to operate. Once upon a time, AMPS (Analog Mobile Phone Service) was commonplace, but consumed a entire audio frequency, so we switched to digital service for more efficient use of the radio spectrum, yet people complained. More recently, 3G digital technology which was initially deployed in 2002 was decomissioned by the United States mobile providers during 2022 in favor of the more spectrum-efficient 4G and 5G. There was plenty of complaining even though the mobile providers even provided free (low end) phone replacements. We gave away free digital-to-analog converters for those people who wanted to hang on to their old analog televisions.

Heck, Electronic Toll Collection is more efficient and helps with traffic flow much better than having manned toll booths. Do you keep manned toll booths in place for the 1% who refuse that toll stricker and doesn't want to use that "bill-by-plate" option?

bing101

https://www.att.com/internet/availability/
AT&T puts out a list on where Fiber optic Internet and phone service is currently available and in in the planning stages.

kalvado

Quote from: ZLoth on February 14, 2024, 09:19:30 AM
It is always... amusing... when I her the excuses and resistance from people when moving from older, somewhat out-of-date, technology and into modern technology where, in the long run, it offers more functionality and is cheaper to operate. Once upon a time, AMPS (Analog Mobile Phone Service) was commonplace, but consumed a entire audio frequency, so we switched to digital service for more efficient use of the radio spectrum, yet people complained. More recently, 3G digital technology which was initially deployed in 2002 was decomissioned by the United States mobile providers during 2022 in favor of the more spectrum-efficient 4G and 5G. There was plenty of complaining even though the mobile providers even provided free (low end) phone replacements. We gave away free digital-to-analog converters for those people who wanted to hang on to their old analog televisions.

Heck, Electronic Toll Collection is more efficient and helps with traffic flow much better than having manned toll booths. Do you keep manned toll booths in place for the 1% who refuse that toll stricker and doesn't want to use that "bill-by-plate" option?
In this particular case, people are afraid of getting old one discontinued, and new one remain promised... and promised... and still waiting...
I cannot say this is an unfounded fear.

kkt

What free low-end replacement phone?  I never got or was offered a free anything.  Just, "Guess what!  Your phone is now a paperweight!  Thank you for choosing our wireless service."

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on February 16, 2024, 01:13:08 AM

What free low-end replacement phone?  I never got or was offered a free anything.  Just, "Guess what!  Your phone is now a paperweight!  Thank you for choosing our wireless service."
I think I got A12 at a deep discount offered. But it's a paperweight with some basic calling functions...

ZLoth

Quote from: kalvado on February 16, 2024, 07:47:40 AM
Quote from: kkt on February 16, 2024, 01:13:08 AM
I think I got A12 at a deep discount offered. But it's a paperweight with some basic calling functions...

Per CNBC published July 8th, 2022:
QuoteAccording to its website, (Verizon) customers can receive the Orbic Journey V, TCL FLIP Pro or Nokia 2720 V Flip. Each is priced at about $80 and has one or two-star customer reviews.

kphoger

An out-of-date cell phone isn't necessarily a paperweight.

For the first time the other day, we left our middle son home alone for the evening while the rest of us were elsewhere.  We left him with my wife's old phone, which can't hold a charge and is no longer even part of our cellular plan.  But it still has Facebook Messenger installed and can connect to our home Wi-Fi.  So he was able to simply keep it plugged in and use Facebook Messenger to both text and call us while we were out.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2024, 12:29:09 PM
An out-of-date cell phone isn't necessarily a paperweight.

For the first time the other day, we left our middle son home alone for the evening while the rest of us were elsewhere.  We left him with my wife's old phone, which can't hold a charge and is no longer even part of our cellular plan.  But it still has Facebook Messenger installed and can connect to our home Wi-Fi.  So he was able to simply keep it plugged in and use Facebook Messenger to both text and call us while we were out.
There are quite a few possible use scenarios of old cell use.  wi-fi tablet, some smart controller, what not.
But having to buy a new phone here and now - especially without warning - is less than ideal.
I'm actually quite unimpressed with the way 5G was introduced in general.
I suspect why that happened - but it is pretty high level politics, which isn't really welcomed in friendly discussions.

kphoger

Having to buy a new phone would be a lot easier to stomach if they were more affordable.
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2024, 01:26:42 PM
Having to buy a new phone would be a lot easier to stomach if they were more affordable.
Compared to cars... 
My current phone is  reasonable from my perspective, not a flagship but a value for money. I paid $99 on black Friday and it was often $149 other times. Not exactly a pocket change, but not that bad

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on February 16, 2024, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2024, 02:42:24 PM
Cars are easier to buy than cell phones now.
why?? do you mean choice-wise?
Time-wise.  Went into a car dealership and walked out with a car in short order.  Walked into an AT&T store and spent way too much time unraveling way too much paperwork just get phones.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2024, 03:51:27 PM
Quote from: kalvado on February 16, 2024, 03:33:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2024, 02:42:24 PM
Cars are easier to buy than cell phones now.
why?? do you mean choice-wise?
Time-wise.  Went into a car dealership and walked out with a car in short order.  Walked into an AT&T store and spent way too much time unraveling way too much paperwork just get phones.
well, not sure I do agree. My phone buying experience is pressing 2 buttons online, getting it delivered 2 days later.   

kphoger

Yeah, I don't want to go into the cell phone store for any reason other than just picking up the thing I already ordered online.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Oh, but then there was AT&T's trade-in any phone-get-spiffy-phone order.  Did that online.  Still took longer than buying my car.

Big John

Is that all carriers since AT&T is known for ridiculously bad customer service?

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on February 16, 2024, 05:30:05 PM
Let us compare to Verizon...Constant battles with them overcharging me when I was with them.

thenetwork

Quote from: Rothman on February 16, 2024, 05:40:22 PM
Quote from: Big John on February 16, 2024, 05:30:05 PM
Let us compare to Verizon...Constant battles with them overcharging me when I was with them.

I once worked for An AT&T-owned store.

In our area, some of the "quotas" that were assigned to us were damn near impossible to hit, or very shady.  (Example: having to push the HELL out of DirecTV to everyone entering the door -- DESPITE DirecTV not offering the LOCAL market channels (we are one of 3-7 smaller TV markets that DTV doesn't carry, Instead they carry the stations in Denver).  To make up for that omission.we gave each customer a set of 'rabbit ears' for the local channels.

One of the numerous reasons why I left after only 6 months.

Road Hog

I still have my old iPhone 7 and an even-older old-school Nokia phone plugged in, although both are in a walk-in closet with an outlet. Both are still charging, but I'm sure they will die quickly with their batteries so old.

The old iPhone has a cracked screen because it fell out of my pocket at work, but it still worked until it became too hard to type. So I had to update to a 13 a year ago. I still hear the old phone alert from time to time, as it is on my mobile hotspot.

The Nokia is there just to look up an old number or for nostalgia purposes only. (You could text but the letter C was made by typing AAA, etc.) The nice thing about that phone was I could crudely (heh heh) program my ringtones in with tone and length of notes. I did "Boomer Sooner," and the "Evil Empire" tune for my boss on it. :)

Other than a stolen BlackBerry, I still have all the cellphones I ever owned stored somewhere. I canned my POTS line in 2014 because I found it way cheaper to use my hotspot and cellphone themselves than also pay for a land line and DSL, which by that point was approaching a Benjamin. Jeez.

Ted$8roadFan

I ended my last landline telephone service back in 2003, which was about the time that cellular began to replace landline in general. That said, I wonder if landline service will truly disappear. Perhaps if rural broadband takes off?

kalvado

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 17, 2024, 05:11:25 AM
I ended my last landline telephone service back in 2003, which was about the time that cellular began to replace landline in general. That said, I wonder if landline service will truly disappear. Perhaps if rural broadband takes off?
Rural broadband must take off, the question is in what form.
I would bet on long range 5G (like 600 MHz 5G T-Mobile has) or HaLow WiFi.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.