News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who misses the old McDonalds?

Started by roadman65, March 02, 2024, 01:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2024, 01:19:58 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on March 15, 2024, 10:26:12 AM
But it's way more expensive now.  I went through the drive-thru yesterday with my usual order and it was almost $15.  I'm not going through there again for a long time.  (I have not had a pay raise since July 2022, and that was 1 percent.)

Can you reduce your order? Are you using their app to get discounts?
Let him leave Mickey D's peacefully.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

elsmere241

But it's way more expensive now.  I went through the drive-thru yesterday with my usual order and it was almost $15.  I'm not going through there again for a long time.  (I have not had a pay raise since July 2022, and that was 1 percent.)

I have the app but I have never used it.  (I'm not sure I could figure out how.)  If I'm going to go there for lunch I'm going to get large fries and a drink, it's that simple.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: elsmere241 on March 15, 2024, 02:25:47 PM

I have the app but I have never used it.  (I'm not sure I could figure out how.)  If I'm going to go there for lunch I'm going to get large fries and a drink, it's that simple.

Their current pricing appears to believe that most people are using the apps or coupons.  The app is easy to use - download app, sign in, find offers that would apply (often, at minimum, there's a $ off or % off option), click it, and provide the code or show it when you pay. 

Like most anything else, first time or two, take a bit of figuring out what you're doing. After that, it's pretty straightforward.

Road Hog

I've cut back on eating out a great deal. Grocery prices are up but still way cheaper than a Big Mac per nourishment value, however you want to measure it.

Stephane Dumas

There,s a McDo who don't have the boring look in Rawdon, Quebec.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NouRWxXu2DDxTJsn6

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cAfqqU6VDvSkHXyp6
Two story one in Florida.

Opened up as a special store called McDonalds Bistro along with two other Orlando stores as a trial thing to see how it measures up to the public.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 11:35:01 AM
Where are you going to go instead?

The interesting thing for me is, in Las Vegas, there are a lot of local restaurants that are one tier up from fast food but are still cheap, and with the rise of fast food prices, now the price points are starting to overlap. We haven't have had Taco Bell the whole time we've been here, because Roberto's is only a couple of bucks more and much higher-quality food.

I'm not sure if this phenomenon is Las Vegas-specific or if it's true of all large cities. (Norman didn't really have this kind of mid-tier restaurant, it was either fast food or full service.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2024, 03:07:09 PM
Their current pricing appears to believe that most people are using the apps or coupons.  The app is easy to use - download app, sign in, find offers that would apply (often, at minimum, there's a $ off or % off option), click it, and provide the code or show it when you pay. 

Like most anything else, first time or two, take a bit of figuring out what you're doing. After that, it's pretty straightforward.

The problem is then I have to download and run software just to do business with a single vendor. Who do they think they are, a bank?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GCrites

Quote from: roadman65 on March 16, 2024, 02:13:27 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cAfqqU6VDvSkHXyp6
Two story one in Florida.

Opened up as a special store called McDonalds Bistro along with two other Orlando stores as a trial thing to see how it measures up to the public.

Boy they really boringed that one up good, didn't they? Super Size Me made them so self-conscious. It's like it triggered an existential crisis for them.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2024, 05:49:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 11:35:01 AM
Where are you going to go instead?

The interesting thing for me is, in Las Vegas, there are a lot of local restaurants that are one tier up from fast food but are still cheap, and with the rise of fast food prices, now the price points are starting to overlap. We haven't have had Taco Bell the whole time we've been here, because Roberto's is only a couple of bucks more and much higher-quality food.

I'm not sure if this phenomenon is Las Vegas-specific or if it's true of all large cities. (Norman didn't really have this kind of mid-tier restaurant, it was either fast food or full service.)
Huh.  If people are spending over $10 for a meal at McDonald's, there are indeed better places in my neck of the woods for the same price.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2024, 05:51:45 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 15, 2024, 03:07:09 PM

The problem is then I have to download and run software just to do business with a single vendor. Who do they think they are, a bank?

I don't recall the app is necessary to do business with them. Unlike a bank, you don't need an account, provide your Social Security number, or even verify your name.

roadman65

Also now you have a small one station counter with the kitchen to the side and behind the wall. No more three cashiers and watching the staff preparing your food.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

I've found that most restaurants don't require an app to get discounts, IHOP being the main exception. For UNO, Bertucci's, 99 Restaurants, Texas Roadhouse, and Outback Steakhouse, I don't have any of their apps, but I still get coupons through email, and the ones that have rewards points work through me telling them my phone number.

As for banking, I use Santander, and no app is required.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: oscar on March 15, 2024, 11:20:07 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on March 08, 2024, 09:35:32 AM
I miss the days of Micky D's when:

[snip]

•  (And this goes way back:)  employees having to write down the order and physically calculate the total on a pad of paper befire ringing it up in the manual cash register!!!

I worked at a McD's front counter in summer 1974, and don't remember having to go through that. Maybe you have in mind pre-1970s?

I was born in 1967 and wouldn't remember anything pre-70s.  In the late 70s on the way back from a camping trip, the line for eating inside was slow so I had plenty of time to watch the drive-thru workers writing down each order with a grease pencil on a wipeable plastic grid.  What a thing to do all day.  By the time I worked there a few years later it was all-electronic.  I also remember the microphone system at Burger King where the order taker repeated everything you ordered into a microphone that you could hear being amplified from the kitchen.

GCrites

I swear I ate somewhere that was still using the microphone in the last year.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 19, 2024, 10:47:57 AM
I swear I ate somewhere that was still using the microphone in the last year.

Older school BKs, Wendy's and I think even Arby's may still use them.

ET21

The modern Mickey's are so depressing... I want the old 90s aesthetic back
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

The McDo in Thetford Mines on PQ-112 got in front the current bland look but the old school one is hidden behind.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LutVbaC8V8wU88SG9

tchafe1978

I don't hardly go to McDonald's much anymore. But I do miss the swivel chairs they used to have.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 19, 2024, 12:09:20 AMI also remember the microphone system at Burger King where the order taker repeated everything you ordered into a microphone that you could hear being amplified from the kitchen.

Some BKs were still using the microphones well into the early 2000s depending on the franchisee/ location.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SEWIGuy

I miss the old McDonald's shakes.

Rothman

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2024, 02:06:52 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 04, 2024, 11:55:15 AMI miss the old McDonald's shakes.

From when, exactly?

I miss the shakes from the machine from the 80s. They didn't really taste like ice cream, but had a unique flavor all their own.

kphoger

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 30, 2024, 12:19:43 AMI don't hardly go to McDonald's much anymore. But I do miss the swivel chairs they used to have.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  Me?  I do hardly go to McDonald's much anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.