News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Spanish Autovías and Autopistas

Started by treichard, October 01, 2009, 02:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treichard

Are there any official sources available on the web (e.g., from the Spanish Formento or the autonomous governments) that clarify which highways are part of the autovia/autopista highway system and which are lesser roads?

Spain uses a prefix system in their designations that doesn't always make the distinction obvious, particularly among the highways with autonomous community or urban designations. So I can't look for something  like an Interstate shield or an elongated autobahn hexagon to make the distinction.  In Spain, is it the background color that makes the distinction (blue is in, other colors are out)? Or is there an official list (e.g., not the sourceless Spanish Wikipedia list) or map showing which expressways and freeways are part of the official Spanish autovia/pista system?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Chris

Use Viamichelin Their maps are accurate. There is about 13,500 kilometers of Autovía/Autopista in Spain, which translates to 8,400 miles, making the Spanish freeway-standard network the 3rd longest in the world.

Spain made substantial progress from the 90's into the 2000's to reconstruct many Carretera nacionales (National roads) to freeway standards, most of them being toll free. The country has overtaken Germany and France in recent years to become the 3rd longest network in the world. France and Germany are building new freeways at a much slower rate than Spain did. Similar progress happened in Portugal.

Madrid probably has the best freeway network of any city in Europe; a dozen of radial freeways, plus 3 beltways.

J N Winkler

Spanish direction signing standards (Norma 8.1-IC):

http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2000/01/29/pdfs/A04049-04106.pdf

Autopistas and autovías now share blue background color, although the entry signs are different (autopistas get chopsticks, while autovías get a perspective drawing of a four-lane divided highway).  Everything else gets white background.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

Chris

I just found out the first (of 4) ring road of Madrid is the busiest in Europe.

The M-30 carries 312,000 AADT between M-23 and Calle de Alcalá

Google Earth printscreen:

Chris

There are currently about 1,200 kilometers of new Autovía under construction.

I made this list using the Spanish wikipedia (Red de Carreteras de España only, not autonomous or provincial Autovías/Autopistas)

A-2: Tordes - Caldes de Malavella: 24 kilometer
A-2: Medinya - Bascara: 3 kilometer
A-7: San Pedro de Alcántara - Puerto Banús: 5 kilometer 
A-7: Almuñecar - Guadalfeo: 11 kilometer
A-7: A-44 - Castell de Ferro: 22 kilometer
A-7: Castillo de Baños - Albuñol: 15 kilometer 
A-7: Alcoi-Norte - Albaida: 19 kilometer
A-7: Puebla Tornesa - Villanueva de Alcolea: 18 kilometer
A-7: L'Hospitalet de l'Infant - Vandellós: 8 kilometer
A-7: Abrera - Terrassa: 16 kilometer 
A-8: Solares - La Encina: 14 kilometer
A-8: La Encina - Torrelavega: 15 kilometer -
A-8: Unquera - Llanes: 23 kilometer - 
A-8: Muros de Nalón - Las Dueñas: 8 kilometer
A-8: Navia - Tapia: 12 kilometer 
A-8: Barreiros - Villalba: 52 kilometer
A-11: La Mallona - Venta Nueva: 21 kilometer
A-11: El Burgo de Osma - Aranda de Duero: 59 kilometer
A-11: Zamora - Ronda norte de Zamora: 6 kilometer
A-14: Lleida - Roselló: 6 kilometer
A-14: Roselló - Almenar: 10 kilometer
A-15: Medinaceli - Almazán: 42 kilometer
A-21: Izco - Venta de Judas: 7 kilometer
A-21: Yesa - Tiermas: 11 kilometer
A-21: Sigüés - Fago: 8 kilometer
A-21: Puente de Reina de Jaca - Jaca: 16 kilometer
A-22: Siétamo - Ponzano: 21 kilometer
A-22: El Pueyo - Monzón-Oeste: 11 kilometer
A-22: Monzón-Este - Almacellas: 35 kilometer
A-23: Nueno - Sabiñánigo-Este: 40 kilometer
A-23: Sabiñánigo-Oeste - Jaca: 10 kilometer
A-27: El Morell - Montblanc: 22 kilometer
A-32: Linares - Puente de Génave: 127 kilometer
A-33: Blanca (A-30) - Jumilla: 31 kilometer
A-33: Caudete (A-31) - La Fuente de Higuera
A-38: Sollana - Sueca-Norte: 8 kilometer
A-38: Cullera - Favara: 10 kilometer
A-38: Xeresa - Gandía: 3 kilometer
A-38: Benissa-Norte - Benissa-Sur: 4 kilometer
A-38: Benidorm-Este - Villajoyosa: 8 kilometer
A-38: Guardamar del Segura - Pilar de Horadada: 36 kilometer
A-40: Torrijos - Toledo: 13 kilometer
A-40: Villarrubia de Santiago - Carracosca: 47 kilometer
AP-46: Málaga - Antequera: 25 kilometer
A-54: Palas de Rei - Lugo: 42 kilometer
A-54: Labacolla - Arzua-Oeste: 19 kilometer
A-56: San Martiño - Barrela: 10 kilometer
A-56: Chantada - Narón: 21 kilometer
A-60: Santas Martas - León: 27 kilometer
A-63: Grado - La Espina: 24 kilometer
A-73: Burgos - Quintillana de Vivar: ? km
A-73: Montorio - Aguilar de Campo: ? km
A-75: A-52 - Portugal: 11 kilometer

Bickendan

Chris

I also made a calculation of the current and future Spanish freeway-grade road network.

Spanish roads can be under several authorities, freeways mainly the Spanish state, autonomous community, or the local city government (mostly bigger cities).

There are currently about 13,400 kilometers of freeway (~8,300 miles), making it the 3rd largest in the world after the United States and China.

There is more underway, all completed, under construction, planned and studied freeways total 21,000 kilometers together (~13,000 miles), securing Spain's position of having the 3rd largest freeway network in the world.

Germany and France each have about 12,000 kilometers (~7,500 miles), but are growing very slowly compared to Spain. The only other countries capable of getting into the 10,000 kilometer range within the next 10 - 15 years are Mexico, Brazil and India.

Bickendan

Hmm. Those three countries will be good ones to watch. Brazil already looked promising, but I wasn't sure to what its scope would be.

Now if Russia were to get on the ball...

yanksfan6129

The traffic counts between Russian cities are miniscule, there is no need for a freeway!

Bickendan

Yet.

But yeah, there's no current need for a major motorway network in Russia.

Or continuing this discussion of non-Spanish roads... (AlpsROADS)

CNGL-Leudimin

If Alps has revived the Italian autostrade thread, then I can do so with this one since it's about the roads of my country :sombrero:. Currently I'd like to clinch every damn 1st level regional road in Aragon (my region, in Northeastern Spain), which for some reason are labelled A-xxx despite being regular roads, not expressways (I'll write another post about our weird numbering system, it's even worse than the Canadian one). In the last few months I've taken down A-124 and A-122 from my to-do list, actually I had most of the latter clinched in my first true roadtrip back in Easter except the last few miles that are practically parallel with A-2 which only got when I had to go further down the (recently rebuilt to newer standards) expressway.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webfil

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 14, 2014, 06:36:09 AMCurrently I'd like to clinch every damn 1st level regional road in Aragon (my region, in Northeastern Spain), which for some reason are labelled A-xxx despite being regular roads, not expressways (I'll write another post about our weird numbering system, it's even worse than the Canadian one).

Canada has a numbering system?

hotdogPi

Quote from: webfil on July 18, 2014, 08:02:58 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 14, 2014, 06:36:09 AMCurrently I'd like to clinch every damn 1st level regional road in Aragon (my region, in Northeastern Spain), which for some reason are labelled A-xxx despite being regular roads, not expressways (I'll write another post about our weird numbering system, it's even worse than the Canadian one).

The Autoroutes do.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on July 18, 2014, 09:14:45 PM
Quote from: webfil on July 18, 2014, 08:02:58 PM

The Autoroutes do.

That's just Quebec.  Ontario uses the 400-series plus the QEW.  There is no national Canadian route numbering system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Carril

Hi there from Spain!

This old photo of the Despeñaperros mountain pass that shows that yellow center lines were used in Spain before the 80's:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.