News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Place names you got wrong

Started by Poiponen13, March 05, 2023, 03:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Big John on June 20, 2023, 09:54:05 AM
If you can't end a sentence with a preposition, what are you supposed to end it with?

With what are you supposed to end it?**

The restructuring of prepositional phrases to "[object] [preposition] which/whom [subject] [verb]" helps a lot.

"Thing I'm proud of" becomes "thing of which I'm proud"
"Person I was golfing with" becomes "person with whom I was golfing"
"Place he came from" becomes "place from which he came"

That's the secret to avoiding the ending of a sentence with a preposition!

Back on track, when I was a small child I used to think Montana had an extra syllable so it sounded like "Panama". I called it "Montanana."

I refuse to put emphasis on the second syllable of "Charlotte," Michigan.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 21, 2023, 11:52:58 AM

But why would a person avoid ending a sentence with a preposition in the first place?

The supposed rule has been erroneous since its first popularization centuries ago.  The assumption by most grammarians is that those who thought the practice erroneous all those years ago were trying to harmonize English sentence structure with that of Latin–and, because Latin sentences would make no syntactical sense with a terminal preposition (veritas vino in), they insisted that English sentences shouldn't have terminal prepositions either.

Forcing English to abide by the rules of Latin is ridiculous on the face of it, and it is the type of arrant pedantry up with which one ought not put.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 21, 2023, 12:16:41 PM

But why would a person avoid ending a sentence with a preposition in the first place?

The supposed rule has been erroneous since its first popularization centuries ago.  The assumption by most grammarians is that those who thought the practice erroneous all those years ago were trying to harmonize English sentence structure with that of Latin–and, because Latin sentences would make no syntactical sense with a terminal preposition (veritas vino in), they insisted that English sentences shouldn't have terminal prepositions either.

Forcing English to abide by the rules of Latin is ridiculous on the face of it, and it is the type of arrant pedantry up with which one ought not put.

Just out of idle curiosity, how does it work in Spanish? French doesn't allow separating prepositions from their objects any more than Latin did and makes use of an equivalent to the "with which," "for which," "among which," structure, except for "of which" which has its own specific word.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Elizabethton TN puts its stress on the BETH.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 21, 2023, 12:25:44 PM
Just out of idle curiosity, how does it work in Spanish? French doesn't allow separating prepositions from their objects any more than Latin did and makes use of an equivalent to the "with which," "for which," "among which," structure, except for "of which" which has its own specific word.

I don't speak French, but my impression is that many grammatical rules are similar.  Just as a terminal preposition would make no sense in Latin, it would make no sense in Spanish either.

Which store are you going to?
¿A qué tienda vas?

Who was he with?
¿Con quién estaba?

She isn't the one I was speaking with.
Ella no es con quien estaba platicando.

Who should I toss it to?
¿A quién debo tirarla?

I don't know what country it's in.
No sé en qué país está.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

index

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 21, 2023, 12:27:32 PM

Elizabethton TN puts its stress on the BETH.

Keeping with the topic of "Place names you got wrong", a lot of people not familiar with the town over the phone will ask me "is that ElizabethTOWN?" or "did you mean ElizabethTOWN?" when I say where I live. That or they just go ahead and assume I meant "Elizabethtown" and will fill out forms as such, which I always end up having to correct later on. Nope. There is no Elizabethtown in Tennessee. Only an ElizaBETHton.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

If you can't end a sentence with a preposition, what are you supposed to end it with?

The restructuring of prepositional phrases to "[object] [preposition] which/whom [subject] [verb]" helps a lot.

If I inadvertently wrote a sentence like one of these examples, I would probably choose to revise it, because the examples come off as clunkily-worded. Most of these add extra words like "which" that don't impart any actual meaning, they only serve a mechanical purpose.

Additionally, in a lot of these examples, the preposition itself doesn't really impart a whole lot of meaning and is there just to make the sentence logically complete: you could probably understand the intended meaning of "Joe is the person I was golfing", it's just that the verb golf doesn't normally take a sentient entity as its object (i.e. you can't actually do golf upon a person), so you have to stick a preposition in there as a dummy word to fill in the slot to make it logically complete. As a result there are a whole lot of prepositions you can stick in that slot and make the sentence convey the same meaning, with the choice only mattering as to what aspect of the event you want emphasize (Joe is the person I was golfing [against, with, beside, alongside, near, by ...]).

Given that it is not really all that critical to the meaning of the sentence, it makes sense to put the meat of the sentence's meaning up front and then the preposition at the end, where the brain already has the context parsed and then this is an added bit of detail. Putting the preposition in the middle of the sentence, before the meaning of the sentence is fully parsed, makes it harder to follow, because you don't have the context for what the preposition is modifying, and the brain is saying "get to the point, already!"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2023, 06:32:23 PM

If I inadvertently wrote a sentence like one of these examples, I would probably choose to revise it, because the examples come off as clunkily-worded. Most of these add extra words like "which" that don't impart any actual meaning, they only serve a mechanical purpose.

Additionally, in a lot of these examples, the preposition itself doesn't really impart a whole lot of meaning and is there just to make the sentence logically complete: you could probably understand the intended meaning of "Joe is the person I was golfing", it's just that the verb golf doesn't normally take a sentient entity as its object (i.e. you can't actually do golf upon a person), so you have to stick a preposition in there as a dummy word to fill in the slot to make it logically complete. As a result there are a whole lot of prepositions you can stick in that slot and make the sentence convey the same meaning, with the choice only mattering as to what aspect of the event you want emphasize (Joe is the person I was golfing [against, with, beside, alongside, near, by ...]).

Given that it is not really all that critical to the meaning of the sentence, it makes sense to put the meat of the sentence's meaning up front and then the preposition at the end, where the brain already has the context parsed and then this is an added bit of detail. Putting the preposition in the middle of the sentence, before the meaning of the sentence is fully parsed, makes it harder to follow, because you don't have the context for what the preposition is modifying, and the brain is saying "get to the point, already!"

Not ending a sentence with a preposition was something drilled into my head as a youngster by my mom...which I largely have ignored.  I'll try to rephrase a sentence sometimes to avoid it because in the written sense it does look a little off, but speaking-wise, it often just rolls off the tongue better using the prep at the end.

mhh

Speaking about the rule prohibiting the ending of sentences with prepositions, Winston Churchill reportedly said "That is a rule up with which I will not put."

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2023, 06:32:23 PM

Joe is the person I was golfing at.  :evilgrin:
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2023, 09:47:59 AM
This is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put.

Quote from: kphoger on June 21, 2023, 12:16:41 PM

Quote from: mhh on June 21, 2023, 06:49:05 PM
Speaking about the rule prohibiting the ending of sentences with prepositions, Winston Churchill reportedly said "That is a rule up with which I will not put."

you don't say
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Tucson. I didn't know that the C was not pronounced.

Poiponen13

Is the K not pronounced in Knoxville? I have expected that it is not. The Wikipedia article does not mention pronunciation.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 09, 2023, 11:39:58 AM
Is the K not pronounced in Knoxville? I have expected that it is not. The Wikipedia article does not mention pronunciation.

The K is silent in Knoxville yes as it is in Knox County where it's located.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

formulanone

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 09, 2023, 11:42:50 AM

In American English, the "k" is almost always silent when followed by "n", if the pair are the first two letters of a word.

When it comes to place names, all bets are off on pronunciation (though /nox-vil/ is correct).

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on September 09, 2023, 12:13:28 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 09, 2023, 11:42:50 AM

In American English, the "k" is almost always silent when followed by "n", if the pair are the first two letters of a word.

When it comes to place names, all bets are off on pronunciation (though /nox-vil/ is correct).

Knoebels!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Knute Rockne pronounced the :K".

formulanone

and most proper names, stop interrupting the class

Poiponen13

And Louisville is pronounced /lu@v@l/ (the @ sign stands for schwa, like sound "a" in "about"). This means that "s" is silent.

Rothman

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 10, 2023, 01:43:02 PM
And Louisville is pronounced /lu@v@l/ (the @ sign stands for schwa, like sound "a" in "about"). This means that "s" is silent.

The actual way to grunt the name is debated.  Still, never "Looey-ville."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Rothman on September 10, 2023, 01:50:21 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 10, 2023, 01:43:02 PM

The actual way to grunt the name is debated.  Still, never "Looey-ville."
Or "Looeys-ville".

1995hoo

The one I've always found a little odd is Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, which is pronounced as "Lewisburg." I assume that comes from the Anglophone population having a negative reaction to French names after the Seven Years' War.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

^ It comes from the general British (which carried over to Canadian but not American) pronunciations of French words.

When you get a piece of fish, it's a "fil-lit" not a "fil-lay".

Of course the US has it's own bastardizations of French name and word pronunciations - and French isn't the only language we butcher, just look at names that came from Native people's languages.

Poiponen13

I just found out that Clermont-Ferrand, a major city in southern France, isn't Clermont-Ferrard.

Poiponen13

I found out that S is pronounced in Saint Louis (city), unlike in Louisville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.