News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Freeways / Expressways given ordinary street names

Started by mrose, April 30, 2013, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Is the name "Avenue of the Saints" actually used?

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: mrose on April 30, 2013, 12:18:28 AM
This is meant to be a compliment to the "Highways that are city streets" thread.

I'll start with two here in Denver - 6th Ave (US 6) and Peña Blvd. (the airport spur). Both are full freeways.

FTFY. (My keyboard has that typical Spanish letter :spin:)

I've seen a few expressways around Madrid with ordinary street names.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

I am near it and would say Iowans might know better but it is to some degree, being a direct route which had really wide support in both states
I would say the CKC in Illinois much less

webfil

There is a 3-km spur off A-25 in Montréal that bears the name "Avenue Souligny".
http://goo.gl/maps/IzEcQ

The signage is mute about that name, though :
-On Dickson Ave., you have to follow "To A-25/A-20/A-40" signs;
-On A-25, the signs tell «Montréal CENTRE-VILLE [downtown]».

dgolub

In Philadelphia, there's Woodhaven Road (PA 63).  Also, on Long Island, there's Nicolls Road (Suffolk CR 97) and Cross River Drive (Suffolk CR 105) that are large multilane divided roads with numerous grade-separated interchanges, although there are some traffic lights on these roads as well.

route56

Quote from: WichitaRoads on April 30, 2013, 03:16:05 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 30, 2013, 12:35:23 AM
Wichita's one example is semi-famous:  Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400), which despite the name is a full freeway for 13 miles.

Ya beat me to it! You think they will ever just call it Kellogg Expressway? I hope not. How about a new name? This could carry over to the Central States....

I think there's a reason I refer to my exit guide for said freeway segment as "Just Plain Kellogg."
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

JustDrive

CA 217 in Goleta is named Ward Memorial Blvd.

national highway 1

La Cienega Blvd in Los Angeles.
Presidio Pkwy (CA 1) and Doyle Dr (US 101) in San Francisco
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

pianocello

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 30, 2013, 04:06:28 PM
Is the name "Avenue of the Saints" actually used?

Yes, at least partly. It's well signed with "Avenue of the Saints" banners in place of the directional banner along IA-27. I can only assume the same is true in Missouri.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bugo

bugo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2013, 04:12:26 PM
This is meant to be a compliment to the "Highways that are city streets" thread.

I'll start with two here in Denver - 6th Ave (US 6) and Peña Blvd. (the airport spur). Both are full freeways.

In English, it is spelled "pena" because we don't use accents.

lordsutch

Memphis of course has Sam Cooper Boulevard (abandoned midtown I-40) and Plough Boulevard (the freeway from I-240 to the airport).  Functionally parts of Getwell Road and Jackson Avenue are freeways.  If we're including "parkway" as a normal street name, that'd add all three legs of TN 385 (Paul Barret, Nonconnah/Bill Morris, and Collierville-Arlington/Winfield Dunn).

In Tupelo you've got part of MS 178/McCullough Boulevard, and US 45 is designated as MLK Avenue.

AL 255 in Huntsville is Research Park Boulevard.

Various bits of the directional Boulevard almost-loop around Montgomery are freeway-standard (ironically perhaps the bits that are least travelled on the north side).

Metro Atlanta has Peachtree Industrial Boulevard (GA 141).

Probably dozens of roads in Texas designed with wide medians for future freeways fit this category too.  Most folks would apply the frontage name to the freeway too (e.g. Research Boulevard/US 183 and Ben White Blvd/TX 71 in Austin).

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: bugo on May 01, 2013, 01:46:41 AM

Colorado uses the tilde on signage for most Spanish names where it is appropriate. Cañon City and, yes, Peña Blvd. among others.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

dfwtbear

bugo

Quote from: amroad17 on April 30, 2013, 03:32:38 AM
I-44 in Tulsa is named Skelly Drive.

Yes and no.  The freeway was originally named Skelly Drive but today Skelly refers to the frontage roads while the freeway itself is I-44/OK 66.

Henry

Quote from: MBHockey13 on April 30, 2013, 01:11:36 AM
In Greensboro, Fordham Boulevard is I-40, Preddy Boulevard is Business (Green) I-85/US-29/US-70, and the new I-840 Loop will be Painter Boulevard. US-29 is called O.Henry Boulevard and is full freeway from I-40 to the city limits. Plus, Bryan Boulevard is almost full controlled access for its entire length, and Wendover Avenue is controlled access between Spring Garden and US-220.
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2013, 09:02:28 AM
A portion of Wade Avenue in Raleigh is freeway-grade, although back before they built the hockey arena they used to park cars on the grass median for NC State football games.
Continuing the NC trend: Including the freeway section leading away from the center city, US 74 in east Charlotte carries the Independence Boulevard name.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: webfil on April 30, 2013, 06:11:20 PM
There is a 3-km spur off A-25 in Montréal that bears the name "Avenue Souligny".
http://goo.gl/maps/IzEcQ

The signage is mute about that name, though :
-On Dickson Ave., you have to follow "To A-25/A-20/A-40" signs;
-On A-25, the signs tell «Montréal CENTRE-VILLE [downtown]».

I remember some old maps of Montreal when A-40 was referred until the early 1980s to "Boulevard Metropolitain" instead of Autoroute Métropolitaine. Same with Decarie.  A-20 in West-Island was once marked as Montreal-Toronto Boulevard back when it was a regular divided highway part of PQ-2.

Major freeways, expressways in Calgary are referred as "Trail" like Crowchild Trail, Deerfoot Trail, Stoney Trail.

vtk

In Columbus, the freeway portion of OH 104 shows up on some maps as Frank Road.  It's actually called Frank—Refugee Expressway, or James L Wanger Memorial Highway, but most folks just call it 104 (or The 104 Freeway, not as an imitation of SoCal, but to distinguish from the older 2-lane leg of 104 that runs down the west bank of the Scioto).

Cincinnati has the first 1½ mile of I-71 called Fort Washington Way.

St Louis has the Pearl Poplar Street Bridge or something like that, carrying like 4 Interstates across the Mississippi.

edit: remembered the correct expansion of PSB
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jp the roadgeek

I-83 in Baltimore at it's stub southern end is President St.  Also, the Bulkeley Bridge in Hartford, which was incorporated into I-84, was originally built as the Morgan St. Bridge and connected directly with Connecticut Boulevard in East Hartford.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

oscar

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on May 01, 2013, 09:34:07 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 01, 2013, 01:46:41 AM

Colorado uses the tilde on signage for most Spanish names where it is appropriate. Cañon City and, yes, Peña Blvd. among others.

The Spanish alphabet treats "ñ" as a letter different from "n", which may be why CNGL-Leudimin has a keyboard with "ñ" on it as well as a standard "n".  If you want to do without the tilde for whatever reason, "ny" rather than just "n" is the better replacement for "ñ" (for example, "cañon" = "canyon").
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

FWIW, users with iDevices have easy access to the "accent mark"—style letters by holding down the respective "key" (for lack of a better word for a touchscreen keyboard)–holding down "N," for example, gives you the option of "ñ" or "ń" (or the capitalized form if needed).

The foregoing sentence is the first time I've ever used that feature, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

elsmere241

Quote from: oscar on May 02, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
The Spanish alphabet treats "ñ" as a letter different from "n", which may be why CNGL-Leudimin has a keyboard with "ñ" on it as well as a standard "n".  If you want to do without the tilde for whatever reason, "ny" rather than just "n" is the better replacement for "ñ" (for example, "cañon" = "canyon").

In Italian that sound is spelled "gn" as in "lasagna".

mgk920

Quote from: WichitaRoads on April 30, 2013, 03:16:05 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 30, 2013, 12:35:23 AM
Wichita's one example is semi-famous:  Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400), which despite the name is a full freeway for 13 miles.

Ya beat me to it! You think they will ever just call it Kellogg Expressway? I hope not. How about a new name? This could carry over to the Central States....

ICTRds

This is one case where a previous regular surface street was progressively upgraded over the years to become a full freeway.  These upgrades are still under way.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.