News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dear AHTD: What happens if FHWA rescinds Clearview interim approval?

Started by Scott5114, May 31, 2014, 02:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Recently, FHWA declined a request by a county government in Washington to begin using the Clearview font on its road signs. Some language contained in the letter indicates that FHWA expects to rescind the interim approval for Clearview in the near future.

Considering that AHTD is a heavy user of Clearview, how are your sign folks preparing to handle the change back to the traditional FHWA Series fonts? Is it going to be as easy as flipping the "Clearview switch" off when designing a new sign? Will engineers need to be retrained on how to use the old fonts? Are there any plans to phase out Clearview signs on an accelerated schedule, or will they simply be replaced on a typical replacement cycle?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

AHTD

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

getemngo

~ Sam from Michigan

bjrush

Wow. Uh oh

Being progressive may bite AHTD in the ass this time
Woo Pig Sooie

Scott5114

They wouldn't be the only ones. Sucks to be Texas and Michigan...

In any event, I doubt FHWA is going to require an accelerated replacement schedule for Clearview signs, but states are of course free to replace them early.

seicer

Add Kentucky and West Virginia aggressively resigning their roads with Clearview, and Ohio whenever it pleases.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on June 01, 2014, 09:05:10 PM
Add Kentucky and West Virginia aggressively resigning their roads with Clearview, and Ohio whenever it pleases.

Add Pennsylvania to that list as well.

bjrush

Woo Pig Sooie

seicer

AHTD

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2014, 02:46:18 AM
Recently, FHWA declined a request by a county government in Washington to begin using the Clearview font on its road signs. Some language contained in the letter indicates that FHWA expects to rescind the interim approval for Clearview in the near future.

Considering that AHTD is a heavy user of Clearview, how are your sign folks preparing to handle the change back to the traditional FHWA Series fonts? Is it going to be as easy as flipping the "Clearview switch" off when designing a new sign? Will engineers need to be retrained on how to use the old fonts? Are there any plans to phase out Clearview signs on an accelerated schedule, or will they simply be replaced on a typical replacement cycle?

Actually, yes - it is as easy as flipping a switch.  The software that we use to design our signs allows us to select the font we want to use on the sign.  If the IA for the usage of the Clearview font is rescinded, we will begin using the traditional highway fonts again.  The signs would not be replaced on an accelerated schedule - they will be replaced as they near the end of their service life, which is 15 years.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

getemngo

I just love how there's a whole topic devoted to personal opinions on Clearview, and now everyone needs to express the same opinions here again. :pan:
~ Sam from Michigan

kkt

Quote from: AHTD on June 02, 2014, 05:53:14 PM
their service life, which is 15 years.

Wait, what transportation department actually uses a 15 year service life for signs?  Caltrans keeps greening over signs from five service lifetimes ago!

US71

Quote from: kkt on June 02, 2014, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: AHTD on June 02, 2014, 05:53:14 PM
their service life, which is 15 years.

Wait, what transportation department actually uses a 15 year service life for signs?  Caltrans keeps greening over signs from five service lifetimes ago!

Arkansas does... if not longer.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Most of the guide signs on the Mountain Parkway in Kentucky date back to the mid-1970s. They are certainly showing their age. A few (mostly eastbound between I-64 and Exit 33) have been replaced in the last couple of years, with Clearview, along with signage at Exit 43 when it was rebuilt and at the eastern terminus when a tornado took them out a few years ago, but the rest are really ancient by guide sign standards.

Last time I was on I-75 south of London, there were quite a few older signs. You can also find a scattering of them along I-64 between Frankfort and I-65, and on I-65 south of Elizabethtown. They're probably 30 years old.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: bjrush on June 01, 2014, 03:05:53 PM
Wow. Uh oh

Being progressive may bite AHTD in the ass this time

Even IDOT and ISTHA will get bit in the ass by this one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: getemngo on June 02, 2014, 06:23:26 PM
I just love how there's a whole topic devoted to personal opinions on Clearview, and now everyone needs to express the same opinions here again. :pan:

Since this thread was meant to focus on the potential phase-out of Clearview from an agency standpoint, all of the general Clearview opinions and discussion has been moved to the general Clearview thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9886.0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.