News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qguy

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 24, 2014, 01:44:17 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 24, 2014, 12:47:18 PM
When did they paint the tunnels from the blue/gray to just gray? also, same thing for the overpasses

It seems different sections get different colors when they paint stuff.  I noticed some purple between Cranberry & Ohio.  Some of the newer monotube sign supports are blue (Irwin/New Stanton), green (Allegheny Valley), etc...

Just east of the Downingtown exit (we'll call it mile 313) is a bridge for a local road over the main line (Uwchlan Ave., pronounced "YUKE-lin") whose steel beams sport a color that to my eye is a dead ringer for the red of a cherry-dipped soft ice cream cone. Bright red, but a little maroon-ish, with a slight satin gloss (not an enamel nor a completely flat finish). They're cherry-dipped beams, I tell ya. Makes me peckish for a cone every time I drive under that bridge.

Flyer78

That bridge also I think may be the last replaced before going to faux-field stone look on bridge structures.

For what it is worth, most of the Delaware Vally monotubes (and bridges) have been painted brown; however I have seen some blue and red monotube around (there seems to be a sign replacement project underway, with some new... interesting signs), but I have not had a chance to see if they were installed in that color.

The NE Extension southbound has some new signs that merge diagrammatic arrows, the Mid-County exit name; exit tabs, and of course, Clearview. Will try to grab a shot at some point.

qguy

Quote from: Flyer78 on August 24, 2014, 07:30:08 PM
That bridge also I think may be the last replaced before going to faux-field stone look on bridge structures.

I also think it was built by PennDOT, not the Turnpike, as part of a Uwchlan Ave. widening project in the early 00s.

SteveG1988

I am okay with the faux stone look on overpasses, it actually looks really nice, but when it is on the tunnel, it looks cheap and low class, since the tunnels for longer than most people realize, had the multi color paint job, with the bits above the entrance being blue. I would like to see them at least make the tunnel name Black or some contrasting Color from stone. At least they are not using that area for adverts. Imangine a projection screen on the vent (could work, as long as it keeps the function of the original part intact with preferations) advertizing EzPass or similar?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

storm2k

Quote from: Flyer78 on August 24, 2014, 07:30:08 PM

For what it is worth, most of the Delaware Vally monotubes (and bridges) have been painted brown; however I have seen some blue and red monotube around (there seems to be a sign replacement project underway, with some new... interesting signs), but I have not had a chance to see if they were installed in that color.

The NE Extension southbound has some new signs that merge diagrammatic arrows, the Mid-County exit name; exit tabs, and of course, Clearview. Will try to grab a shot at some point.

Drove from NJ thru Valley Forge last weekend. There are several red and blue monotubes now existing at several interchanges. It looks like they're going with the red and blue ones throughout, especially at rebuilt interchanges.

MASTERNC

Looks like the widening between MP 220 and Carlisle might be starting soon.  The website for the project still shows the earlier completed widening but the monthly schedule now notes 7 miles of roadway/bridge reconstruction.

http://www.paturnpike.com/improve/conschedule.aspx

ARMOURERERIC

I was wondering:  IIRC part of the original act 91 for Turnpike expansion projects included a way out future extension of PA 28/Allegheny Valley Freeway to I-80.  It would seem like establishing an I-80 freeway connection on a diagonal would be a profitable toll endeavor.  Do you see this actually happening in 25 years or less?  Any thoughts?

Mr_Northside

25 years is a long time, but I'd have to bet that it won't happen.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jemacedo9

The southbound lanes of I-476 in the southern widening section are basically complete, fully striped, and ready to go.  The far right lane is coned off while clean-up work is being done.   The far right lane becomes an exit only for I-276 West, and the new diagrammatic overhead BGSs show that, but there is no specific EXIT ONLY signage.  (No photos, unfortunately).

It looked like the far left lane of the NB side was coned off but ready to go, but couldn't tell if the striping was done.

jeffandnicole

I hadn't realized that some of the PA Turnpike VMSs are full color. Several yesterday show a pic of cop killer Eric Frein.

ARMOURERERIC

Your post makes me ask a dumb question:  Was the PTC smart enough to place those expensive signs on wide enough gantries to accommodate the future widening of the mainline?

Zeffy

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 20, 2014, 11:08:47 AM
Was the PTC smart enough to place those expensive signs on wide enough gantries to accommodate the future widening of the mainline?

It'd be great to see the PA Turnpike (mainline) widened, especially since most of it is pretty underwhelming in terms of design - but I don't think there are any plans to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Most of these signs are off to the side on a monopole type support. This just happened to be over the road. It would depend on everything else that needs to be done, such as underground utilities, current standards for construction, etc. Even if these signs met the requirements today if the road were to be widened today, they may not meet the requirements of the future when they get around to widening the highway.

ARMOURERERIC

I could not tell from the photo above if you were travelling EB or WB, if it was EB, the stretch shown is due for imminent widening:

http://www.paturnpike.com/ConstructionProjects/mp215to226/

Which is why I asked.

02 Park Ave

There is no widening planned, at this time, between mp 226 & 242.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Mr_Northside

Just from what I can see in the picture, the posts for the gantry visible look far enough away that you could squeeze more highway in.  Of course, I can't see the posts on the other side, nor do I have any idea if they'd need equal amount of land on either side for what they'd want to do, or whatever.
It very well may just be the angle of the pic, but right now the sign seems to be over part of the right lane and right shoulder, but it could be pretty centered over three lanes of a widened highway.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

Gnutella

Quote from: Zeffy on September 20, 2014, 11:19:28 AM
It'd be great to see the PA Turnpike (mainline) widened, especially since most of it is pretty underwhelming in terms of design - but I don't think there are any plans to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).

There are plenty of segments that have been widened, or are being widened. Most of them have been in western Pennsylvania so far, but I'm guessing that's because that's where the road bed was oldest. Within a few years, the segments between the Ohio state line and the Beaver River, and I-79 and the Allegheny River, will all be reconstructed with six lanes. Another segment between Irwin and New Stanton already has.

Reconstruction is also underway on a segment east of Laurel Summit, and another segment east of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel. Design work is being done on a segment between Bedford and Breezewood. Pretty soon, everything between Blue Mountain and Carisle will be reconstructed as well.

In eastern Pennsylvania, most of the current reconstruction is taking place near I-95, and along the Northeast Extension. Design work is being done between Reading and King of Prussia.

mtantillo

Some of the Central portions of the Turnpike have been reconstructed as 4-lane, so not necessarily all of the reconstructed segments will be 6-lane. But in the Pittsburgh area, there is a need from a traffic volume standpoint.

Gnutella

Quote from: mtantillo on September 23, 2014, 09:55:19 AM
Some of the Central portions of the Turnpike have been reconstructed as 4-lane, so not necessarily all of the reconstructed segments will be 6-lane. But in the Pittsburgh area, there is a need from a traffic volume standpoint.

It's worth noting, though, that every reconstructed four-lane segment was done so before 2005, and every segment reconstructed since 2008 has been widened to six lanes. There was a period of inactivity along the Turnpike between 2005 and 2008, which leads me to believe that the Turnpike Commission decided sometime during that period of inactivity to have the entire highway widened to six lanes. It wouldn't surprise me if they do a partial reconstruction to add lanes to the recently-reconstructed four-lane segments.

Roadsguy

I thought they were planning on six-laning the whole thing anyway, even where it would be overkill.

The 70 multiplex, Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh areas need it though. Even in the Philly area, it could easily stand an eight-laning from Valley Forge over all the way to the NJTP, but I don't think that's planned at all. (The current river bridge is wide enough, but I don't know if the twin will be or if it will be narrower.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 24, 2014, 08:44:29 AM
I thought they were planning on six-laning the whole thing anyway, even where it would be overkill.

The 70 multiplex, Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh areas need it though. Even in the Philly area, it could easily stand an eight-laning from Valley Forge over all the way to the NJTP, but I don't think that's planned at all. (The current river bridge is wide enough, but I don't know if the twin will be or if it will be narrower.)

The bridge is wide enough for 6 lanes, but only carries 4 lanes (2 per direction) plus a full right shoulder in each direction.

The future bridge is supposed to be wide enough for at least 4 lanes also. The actual design, which I don't think is complete yet, may be 3 travel lanes and a shoulder, 3 travel lanes and 2 shoulders, etc.  At minimum though, it will be designed to hold at least 4 lanes when needed.  One of those needs will be when it first opens, as the current bridge will be closed for refurbishment.

ARMOURERERIC

Just stopped by the PC Major Projects Design and Construction page and note a few new SW PA projects listed as now in design:  This is what I am seeing there:

MP 28-31 Reconstruction, which IIRC includes the 19/79 interchange
MP 49-53 Reconstruction
MP 53-57 Reconstruction
   This is consistent with what I have read in the past that 376 to the new Allegheny River Bridge would be 2 contracts.  Have not read the line item yet to see if it includes any 376 exit improvements.

ARMOURERERIC

MP 28-31 does NOT include the 19/79 interchange, but does mention that the Thorn Hill Road Bridge will be replaced as an early action item in 2015.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.