News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I suppose the question could be "why will the I-95 interchange have a name at all", given that the Pennsylvania Turnpike wants to go all-electronic well before the first flyovers are finished.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DrSmith

The names may also be for internal use as well.  I know they have them for the Jersey Turnpike (or did at least), even though they were not posted on the signs.  If I remember correctly Interchange 1 was Gateway, 3 was Black Horse, I really have trouble remembering them since its been a long time now

vdeane

If the slip ramps have names at all, they're internal only, because they don't appear on the signs.  I don't see why the I-95 interchange wouldn't have the same deal, in which case there would have been no need to rename Philadelphia/Bensalem.  But I guess that's what you get when you take over 40 years to build a single interchange.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flyer78

Tolls going up.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/20140618_Cross-state_cost_on_Pa__Turnpike_in_2015___46_05.html

The decision by the Turnpike Commission Tuesday to hike tolls for the seventh year in a row means the cash toll to drive from the Ohio border to the New Jersey border will be $46.05 for passenger cars, up from the current $43.85.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/20140618_Cross-state_cost_on_Pa__Turnpike_in_2015___46_05.html#vHpTMvxhKF1dIIGe.99

(As of the posting of this link, the picture used in the story is of the NJ Turnpike, not the PA Turnpike.  :-D)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Flyer78 on June 17, 2014, 01:17:44 PM
Tolls going up.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/20140618_Cross-state_cost_on_Pa__Turnpike_in_2015___46_05.html

The decision by the Turnpike Commission Tuesday to hike tolls for the seventh year in a row means the cash toll to drive from the Ohio border to the New Jersey border will be $46.05 for passenger cars, up from the current $43.85.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/20140618_Cross-state_cost_on_Pa__Turnpike_in_2015___46_05.html#vHpTMvxhKF1dIIGe.99

(As of the posting of this link, the picture used in the story is of the NJ Turnpike, not the PA Turnpike.  :-D)
Somebody actually mentioned such in the Comments section of the article as well.

This increase is, once again, Act 44-related.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

andy3175

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/penndot-turnpike-to-study-a-scranton-bypass-1.1702274

QuoteAn engineering study will examine connecting Interstate 476 – also known as the turnpike – and I-81 at two points outside Scranton, one near Avoca and a second near South Abington Twp. It would create a bypass dubbed the Scranton Beltway.

The study is part of a long-range plan to address congestion in the Interstate 81 corridor in Northeast Pennsylvania, according to Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission officials who made the announcement with lawmakers in Pittston Twp.

State transportation secretary Barry Schoch said the study, expected to cost about $500,000, will begin this month and take a year to complete. The study will develop traffic models to determine the best use of improved connections between the two highways, assess the environment of both areas and analyze any alternatives.

A map provided by the agencies showed the two new connections could shift about 20,000 to 25,000 vehicles per day from Interstate 81 to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

About 70,000 vehicles per day travel on I-81 between the Lackawanna-Luzerne County line and the Central Scranton Expressway. In contrast, about 10,000 vehicles travel between the Wyoming Valley and Clarks Summit exits of the turnpike every day, according to Turnpike Commission spokeswoman Mimi Doyle.

Seeking to ease congestion, PennDOT previously announced a $174 million project to add a third lane on a six-mile stretch of I-81 between the Lackawanna-Luzerne counties line and the Central Scranton Expressway. That project could start in five years at the earliest.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Given that one can connect to I-81 from (one direct, one indirect via PA 315) I-476 twice and w/I-81 not being a toll road; it's no wonder that the traffic counts are significantly higher for I-81.  Act 44 or no Act 44; the PTC might want to rationalize their tolls along this stretch of I-476.  While the car toll rates aren't too bad (current car cash rate $2.30, EZPass rate $1.38 From Exit 115 northward); the higher truck rates are enough to induce a fair share of shunpiking.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Seems to me that if they want to accomplish this, all they need to do is establish a direct southern connection and leave Clarks Summit as it is.

I did this in reverse the last time I was on I-81 northbound in the area. Traffic was severely backed up and moving slowly, so I bailed at PA 315 and used 476, since I planned to use US 11 north of Clarks Summit anyway. I don't know what toll I paid for use of 476, since I have an E-ZPass, but to me it was worth it to get out of the slowdown. There was very little traffic on 476 but I did see a PA state trooper running radar in the vicinity where 81 and 476 cross.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2014, 12:06:04 PMI did this in reverse the last time I was on I-81 northbound in the area. Traffic was severely backed up and moving slowly, so I bailed at PA 315 and used 476, since I planned to use US 11 north of Clarks Summit anyway. I don't know what toll I paid for use of 476, since I have an E-ZPass, but to me it was worth it to get out of the slowdown. There was very little traffic on 476 but I did see a PA state trooper running radar in the vicinity where 81 and 476 cross.
As I mentioned earlier, the current & previous passenger vehicle (Class 1) tolls (especially at the EZPass rates) aren't too exhorbitant in this area; it's the truck tolls (Class 9 EZPass rate from Exit 115 to Clarks Summit is over $52) that's the issue.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of traffic along I-81 & 476 in this area consists of trucks?  My guess is that I-81 has a much higher percentage of truck traffic than I-476 in this area; the reason, no doubt, is due to the toll rates.

2014 PA Turnpike Toll Rates (Cash & EZPass)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MASTERNC

I was traveling east on the Turnpike today between Blue Mountain and Carlisle.  The current widening project has entered stage 2 for eastbound traffic (i.e. traffic has been moved over to the newly widened road section).  I almost did a double take when we started to travel on concrete pavement instead of asphalt.  I thought maybe the road would be paved when the center portion was constructed, but the concrete had grooves to channel water, making me think the Turnpike may have done its first project using concrete pavement as the riding surface.

Also, the Turnpike has done a true "crossover" between Donegal and Somerset, where both sides are sharing the old eastbound lanes and the entire westbound side has been dug up down to the dirt (instead of just part of the road at a time).

ARMOURERERIC

Oddly, the PTC website makes no mention of work between Donegal and Somerset.  Is it a full reconstruction?  Widening?

MASTERNC

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 06, 2014, 10:39:16 PM
Oddly, the PTC website makes no mention of work between Donegal and Somerset.  Is it a full reconstruction?  Widening?

I noticed that too.  It is definitely a full reconstruction and widening (per the "Your Tolls At Work" signs).  The project is on the "monthly schedule" though.

http://www.paturnpike.com/improve/conschedule.aspx

Mr_Northside

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 06, 2014, 11:00:03 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 06, 2014, 10:39:16 PM
I noticed that too.  It is definitely a full reconstruction and widening (per the "Your Tolls At Work" signs).  The project is on the "monthly schedule" though.
http://www.paturnpike.com/improve/conschedule.aspx

I also noticed that.  Hadn't seen it on their "Capital Projects" page, so I wasn't expecting it at all.   It's only limited to the Laurel Hill tunnel Bypass section.  They were starting to take down the falling rock fence on my way down to the beach, and it was mostly gone on the way back.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

IIRC this section had been 5 lanes with the 3 lane part being whatever side was Uphill to the summit.  Does it look like it is going to 6 lanes, maybe 7?

Mr_Northside

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 07, 2014, 09:14:37 PM
IIRC this section had been 5 lanes with the 3 lane part being whatever side was Uphill to the summit.  Does it look like it is going to 6 lanes, maybe 7?

It's still too early to tell from the current work progress... but I'd be willing to bet that it will be widened to 6 lanes (I wouldn't bet on 7 lanes)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

TheOneKEA

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 06, 2014, 09:21:15 PM
I was traveling east on the Turnpike today between Blue Mountain and Carlisle.  The current widening project has entered stage 2 for eastbound traffic (i.e. traffic has been moved over to the newly widened road section).  I almost did a double take when we started to travel on concrete pavement instead of asphalt.  I thought maybe the road would be paved when the center portion was constructed, but the concrete had grooves to channel water, making me think the Turnpike may have done its first project using concrete pavement as the riding surface.

It's definitely a riding surface, since I saw several drain grilles set into the edge of the concrete under the guardrail.

I was pleased to discover that the PTC contractor that laid the concrete actually did a decent job. It was very smooth and even and the noise sounded just right.

MASTERNC

Wonde
Quote from: TheOneKEA on July 13, 2014, 08:15:03 AM

It's definitely a riding surface, since I saw several drain grilles set into the edge of the concrete under the guardrail.

I was pleased to discover that the PTC contractor that laid the concrete actually did a decent job. It was very smooth and even and the noise sounded just right.

Wonder why the change from asphalt, especially because the nearby sections are not concrete.

PHLBOS

En route to/from Carlisle this past Saturday, I noticed some recently-erected curve warning & speed advisory signs along the way.  The ones located east of Lebannon-Lancaster (Exit 266/PA 72) had 60 MPH advisory panels but the ones west of there had 65 MPH panels. 

One has to wonder if the latter 65 MPH advisories could give hint to the speed limit(s) on those particular stretches of the Turnpike increasing to 70 mph down the road.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Gnutella

Apparently work has begun between MM 124 and MM 134, east of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel. They've replaced some overpasses already, and they're going to widen this segment from four lanes to six with full 12' shoulders on the insides and outsides. I'm betting the new Allegheny Mountain Tunnel will be six lanes when its built too.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 06, 2014, 09:21:15 PM

Also, the Turnpike has done a true "crossover" between Donegal and Somerset, where both sides are sharing the old eastbound lanes and the entire westbound side has been dug up down to the dirt (instead of just part of the road at a time).

Is this part of the MP 206-210 project or the 220-226 project?

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Gnutella on July 14, 2014, 10:50:23 PM
Apparently work has begun between MM 124 and MM 134, east of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel. They've replaced some overpasses already, and they're going to widen this segment from four lanes to six with full 12' shoulders on the insides and outsides. I'm betting the new Allegheny Mountain Tunnel will be six lanes when its built too.

If the tunnel replacement is to be 6 lanes, I would almost expect them to go with a non-tunnel cut.  Has the stretch between Summerset and the tunnel been rebuilt already?  There have been so many disjointed projects I have lost track.

yakra

Looks like some curves were straightened out between the tunnel and New Baltimore. 2005 imagery on HistoricAerials shows EB traffic on the new roadway and WB traffic on the old. Velly interestink.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

1995hoo

Quote from: yakra on July 15, 2014, 12:36:50 AM
Looks like some curves were straightened out between the tunnel and New Baltimore. 2005 imagery on HistoricAerials shows EB traffic on the new roadway and WB traffic on the old. Velly interestink.

They were. Several westbound curves where that carriageway split off and took a less-direct route were eliminated. The carriageways now remain together.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 15, 2014, 12:15:14 AM
Quote from: Gnutella on July 14, 2014, 10:50:23 PM

If the tunnel replacement is to be 6 lanes, I would almost expect them to go with a non-tunnel cut.  Has the stretch between Summerset and the tunnel been rebuilt already?  There have been so many disjointed projects I have lost track.

Yeah... Time is mostly a blur, but I think the section from about the Somerset interchange to the tunnels has been done for possibly a decade now... before they made widening to 6-lanes a default part of the complete reconstructions.

If I were a betting man, I would also bet that the PTC ends up selecting a non-tunnel alternative.  There are groups that seem to be against it, but I think it's what the PTC really wants to do.

As to MM 124 and MM 134, in early June they had cleared most of the trees on the hillside where they're apparently doing "New Baltimore Slope Remediation".  I'm wondering if they're gonna cut into it to smooth out the curve there.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 15, 2014, 07:34:58 AM
Quote from: yakra on July 15, 2014, 12:36:50 AM

They were. Several westbound curves where that carriageway split off and took a less-direct route were eliminated. The carriageways now remain together.

The old alignment of the Turnpike between the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel and New Baltimore was a narrow and twisting affair as recently as the mid-1980's - for both directions.  The descent eastbound was especially fun to drive.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.