News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Demo'd Freeway Stub in South Seattle/Tukwila

Started by jakeroot, August 17, 2015, 09:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

In the South Seattle area, just south of the 1st Ave South Bridge(s), there used to be a large grade-separated interchange, with ramps pointing west towards the southern stretch of West Seattle, basically pointing at Highland Park Way. These ramps were built in the 1960s and then demolished in the mid-90s when the 1st Ave South Bridge was dualled. I can't seem to find any context in relation to the road; what its purpose was, when exactly it was built, or what it was for to begin with. There are some stubs on the ramps which seem to suggest a more complex interchange beyond what was built, but again, no website seems to have any context in relation to the stubs.

My only guess would be that it was built as an interchange for Highland Park Way and was never finished. Highland Park Way is the road coming/going from the left of the image.

Here's some images. The first was taken in 1969, and the second in 2006.

Bruce

It was probably for the planned and later canceled "Puget Sound Freeway", which would've linked SR 99/SR 509 to a bridge crossing the Puget Sound at Fauntleory. It was included in the 1956 Seattle Comprehensive plan (interactive version here), but dropped by the state legislature (along with the other cross-sound bridge proposals) around 1967.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 17, 2015, 09:15:32 PM
It was probably for the planned and later canceled "Puget Sound Freeway", which would've linked SR 99/SR 509 to a bridge crossing the Puget Sound at Fauntleory. It was included in the 1956 Seattle Comprehensive plan (interactive version here), but dropped by the state legislature (along with the other cross-sound bridge proposals) around 1967.

I think you're right, Bruce. I did some more digging and, well, dug up some images of the original First Avenue South Bridge:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.