News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Speed Limit 45...no, 35...no, 45...no, 35...no, 45 - Oregon 99E in SE Portland

Started by sp_redelectric, October 01, 2017, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

Drove down McLoughlin Boulevard (Oregon 99E) from Holgate Street in Portland south into Milwaukie, where there has been a repaving project going on.

Not sure who is responsible for it (ODOT, contractor, etc.), but the speed limits now vary from 45 to 35, back to 45, back to 35, repeatedly, sometimes in as little as a couple hundred feet.

A few weeks ago, there were signs mounted on the center jersey barrier that said "Speed Limit 45" while the sign on the right-hand curb, directly across from it, was a "Speed Limit 35" sign - but it appears most of the center signs have been removed.

I've never, ever seen such sloppy speed signage in a construction zone...either cover up (or remove the 45) signs, or don't bother with the 35 signs!

sparker

Quote from: sp_redelectric on October 01, 2017, 05:52:54 PM
Drove down McLoughlin Boulevard (Oregon 99E) from Holgate Street in Portland south into Milwaukie, where there has been a repaving project going on.

Not sure who is responsible for it (ODOT, contractor, etc.), but the speed limits now vary from 45 to 35, back to 45, back to 35, repeatedly, sometimes in as little as a couple hundred feet.

A few weeks ago, there were signs mounted on the center jersey barrier that said "Speed Limit 45" while the sign on the right-hand curb, directly across from it, was a "Speed Limit 35" sign - but it appears most of the center signs have been removed.

I've never, ever seen such sloppy speed signage in a construction zone...either cover up (or remove the 45) signs, or don't bother with the 35 signs!

Park Avenue in San Jose, which is undergoing repaving as part of a neighborhood rebuilding (none dare call it "gentrification") is signed like that -- the street is signed at 30, but nobody has covered them up; construction signs either read "20" (where both lanes or open) or "15" in the approach areas to one-lane traffic control (generally this has been limited to 2 areas in the mile-long construction stretch) -- but the lower-limit signs are haphazardly set out atop orange cones! -- the last time I drove down that street (out of necessity!) a couple of the signs/cones were toppled and laying flat on the street.  This is typical San Jose sloppiness -- the construction crews are supposed to have enough personnel to effectively perform traffic control -- but rarely does this occur in practice.  So far, I haven't heard word of any resultant fender-benders -- yet! 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.