News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 08, 2021, 05:40:18 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 08, 2021, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 07, 2021, 11:17:15 AM
(For I-376, US 22, US 30, and PA 60) PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 22/I-376 Interchange Improvement Project Online Public Meeting Wednesday

The plan at the moment is to convert this interchange into a DDI including a connection from I-376 WB to PA 60 SB.

Yep; just attended the public meeting. It's too bad 22/30 won't be given two-lane, high-speed movements, but of course PennDOT doesn't exactly have a bottomless well of funds right now...

An update was posted on this in the CE Expert System on December 13th.

Other Updates:

28th St Bridge Rehabilitation
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

CanesFan27

Ever want to own a piece of transportation history - like a bridge pier?  Well in Pittsburgh, two bridge piers from the former Wabash Bridge (demolished since 1946) are for sale.

I was recently interviewed for this feature on Pittsburgh radio.

https://www.wesa.fm/arts-sports-culture/2023-01-17/historic-bridge-piers-are-up-for-sale-on-pittsburghs-monongahela-river

74/171FAN

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 17, 2023, 08:21:12 AM
Ever want to own a piece of transportation history - like a bridge pier?  Well in Pittsburgh, two bridge piers from the former Wabash Bridge (demolished since 1946) are for sale.

I was recently interviewed for this feature on Pittsburgh radio.

https://www.wesa.fm/arts-sports-culture/2023-01-17/historic-bridge-piers-are-up-for-sale-on-pittsburghs-monongahela-river

Congrats on the interview!!

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 24, 2023, 03:05:14 PM

(For I-376, US 22, US 30, and PA 60) PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 22/I-376 Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Meeting Wednesday

I'm not a fan of the proposed DDI. It eliminates the free-flowing movement to stay on US 22/US 30 westbound and does nothing to fix the weave with the adjacent Summit Park Drive interchange on I-376. I wrote PennDOT that I'd rather see a folded diamond interchange with all the ramps on the south side of US 22/PA 60 (Steubenville Pike). They could do a Florida T-style setup to give westbound free flow through interchange bypassing signals and this would increase separation between ramps on I-376, which would markedly improve weave situation.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Don't know if it's been mentioned upthread, but at the 222/422/PA 12 interchange in Wyomissing, why the missing movements from sb 222 to eb PA 12 and wb PA 12 to nb 222?   Could they have been squeezed in?  Are they superfluous due to nearby interchanges?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Bitmapped

Quote from: ixnay on February 03, 2023, 06:57:10 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned upthread, but at the 222/422/PA 12 interchange in Wyomissing, why the missing movements from sb 222 to eb PA 12 and wb PA 12 to nb 222?   Could they have been squeezed in?  Are they superfluous due to nearby interchanges?

Wyomissing is nowhere near Southwestern Pennsylvania, but it seems like the missing movements are superfluous. Traffic heading on PA 12 wanting to go on US 222 North probably would have gone a different route and vice versa. In the event they didn't, there are adjacent alternatives with Paper Mill Road and PA 183 that can be used instead.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 03, 2023, 10:25:07 AM
(For I-79 at PA 910)  PennDOT - District 11 News: I-79/Route 910 Wexford Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Meeting Tuesday

Not gonna lie, but this is needed.  About the only way I could see them making space between I-79 & Brandt School Road on PA-910, is to convert the I-79 interchange to a SPUI.

However, I could see that if (and it's a big if) they can move the NB ramps way closer to the bridge, I think there should be enough space to convert it to a DDI as long as they connect Sunny Hill Road on the SB side to connect to the Northern spur of Nicholson Road @ that traffic light.  This way, they wouldn't really have to mess with the SB ramps (sans making the split for the DDI).

MASTERNC

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 04, 2023, 11:36:11 PM
(For I-79 at PA 910)  PennDOT - District 11 News: I-79/Route 910 Wexford Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Meeting Tuesday

Not gonna lie, but this is needed.  About the only way I could see them making space between I-79 & Brandt School Road on PA-910, is to convert the I-79 interchange to a SPUI.

However, I could see that if (and it's a big if) they can move the NB ramps way closer to the bridge, I think there should be enough space to convert it to a DDI as long as they connect Sunny Hill Road on the SB side to connect to the Northern spur of Nicholson Road @ that traffic light.  This way, they wouldn't really have to mess with the SB ramps (sans making the split for the DDI).

The challenge with a DDI is the Brandt School Road intersection right by the NB ramps - there's no room to relocate the intersection with the shopping center in the SE corner.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 05, 2023, 07:30:44 PM

The challenge with a DDI is the Brandt School Road intersection right by the NB ramps - there's no room to relocate the intersection with the shopping center in the SE corner.

As I said in my original post, the only way they could do a DDI would be to move the NB ramps way closer to the bridge.  There is some space to do that.  Would it require some earth work to do it, sure, but I think it could be done to give enough room.

MASTERNC

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 05, 2023, 10:02:32 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on February 05, 2023, 07:30:44 PM

As I said in my original post, the only way they could do a DDI would be to move the NB ramps way closer to the bridge.  There is some space to do that.  Would it require some earth work to do it, sure, but I think it could be done to give enough room.

I misread what you had said - makes sense

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.