News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2023 Road Trip Plans

Started by D-Dey65, December 06, 2022, 10:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Since nobody has started this thread yet, I thought I'd add one for generic 2023 road trips.

So, what is everybody's plans?

At least one of mine will be the standard NYC-Long Island Trip that I didn't get the chance to take in 2022. But I'm also seeking more "local" trips, so to speak.

I also want another trip to Folkston, GA, and I want to do it this month. But if I can't for some reason, it'll have to be early next year.

kphoger

This may be the first time I've done a Mexico trip by way of Monterrey (NL) instead of Monclova (Coah) since 2014.  However, I do not plan on taking I-35 through Fort Worth.  Instead, I plan to take an extra hour and do this route to Cotulla (TX).

1.  I'm seriously considering the OKC bypass that people on here have suggested:  Kilpatrick Turnpike to Sara Road.  Is there still a lot of road construction on Sara Road?

2.  The 301-mile stretch from Abilene to Dilley will be all new mileage for me.  In that part of Texas, I've never ventured between US-277 and I-35.

3.  On the Mexican side, this will be the first time I've driven the new toll road south of the old km-26 checkpoint (just south of Nuevo Laredo, down to the cuota/libre split at km-146).  I transited the northbound lanes by bus back in March of this year, but this will be my first time by car.

4.  One last stretch of new mileage will be this, from Fed-85 to NL-40D.  The reason for going to Monterrey on this trip is that part of our group will be flying into MTY, and the rest of us will meet up with them there.  I flew into MTY back in March, but we had lunch in the old town part of Monterrey before heading west, so we took NL-40D south from the airport that day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Still unsure if I'll be tagging along with my brother to Arizona and have some days for solo travel while he's hiking down into the Grand Canyon.

And I still need to get up to Point Pleasant to drive the new section of US 35.

Other than that, I don't foresee anything but short day trips in my area for the rest of my life.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

I'm hoping we get to visit my sister in CO this summer - we had to cancel last summer. We'd take I-70 one way, I-80 the other.

7/8

So far I have two ski trips booked for January:
1) Driving to Stowe, VT (accommodation in Eden). I'll get some new counties and roads in NY, QC, and VT.
2) Flying from Toronto YYZ to SLC to ski at Park City, UT. I may not get any new roads, but that's okay, the skiing should be great!

I haven't booked anything else, but I'd like to do one or two trips to see Indycar/NASCAR this year (I enjoyed my two F1 trips, but the tickets are more expensive and don't seem worth the extra markup). I also plan on seeing Indycar in Toronto, but that's too close to count as a road trip.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 7/8 on December 07, 2022, 09:28:56 AM
So far I have two ski trips booked for January:
1) Driving to Stowe, VT (accommodation in Eden). I'll get some new counties and roads in NY, QC, and VT.
2) Flying from Toronto YYZ to SLC to ski at Park City, UT. I may not get any new roads, but that's okay, the skiing should be great!

I haven't booked anything else, but I'd like to do one or two trips to see Indycar/NASCAR this year (I enjoyed my two F1 trips, but the tickets are more expensive and don't seem worth the extra markup). I also plan on seeing Indycar in Toronto, but that's too close to count as a road trip.

Go to Indy and see both.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

Nothing planned yet, but 2023 is looking wide-open for me now that our wedding & honeymoon are in the books in addition to passing the PE exam a couple weeks ago.  So hoping to take advantage of the added free-time coming up and get out more again - one idea I've kicked around is a day-drive to clinch the Garden State Parkway in one go.

And this would technically still be 2022, but here's a long day-drive I'm thinking about doing sometime in the next couple weekends to celebrate:

-Leave the Baltimore area on I-70
-Drive the length of I-68 and head south on I-79 from there
-Drive the entirety of Corridor L (and maybe stop at the New River Gorge)
-Briefly get on the WV Turnpike (and check out the current Beckley Service Plaza prior to its upcoming demolition - I checked out both Bluestone & Morton on a previous drive a few months back where I clinched the WV Turnpike in one go)
-Head east on I-64 all the way to Richmond
-Bypass Richmond on I-295, then head north on I-95
-Take VA 207 to US 301 in order to check out the new Nice Bridge
-Return to the Baltimore area via either MD 5 to I-495 to I-95 or US 301 to MD 3 to I-97
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

We have a trip to Florida booked to visit our relatives, but we're flying down to Fort Lauderdale to save time because we only have a week. The road-related aspect of interest is that I've booked a Tesla Model Y as the rental car–it seemed like an ideal opportunity to try out an EV and see what we think of it, and the cost of that rental plus the airfare still worked out to less than the Auto Train (plus gas and tolls between Sanford and Broward County) would have been in the high-volume period when we are going.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 07, 2022, 09:35:27 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on December 07, 2022, 09:28:56 AM

Go to Indy and see both.

That's a fair suggestion. Indy isn't too far away and it's convenient to have both in one weekend. I guess the only downside is it feels odd to have my first NASCAR race be a road coarse instead of an oval. I was thinking a short oval would be nice for NASCAR since you can easily see the full coarse.

hbelkins

Quote from: jmacswimmer on December 07, 2022, 09:52:25 AM
Nothing planned yet, but 2023 is looking wide-open for me now that our wedding & honeymoon are in the books in addition to passing the PE exam a couple weeks ago.  So hoping to take advantage of the added free-time coming up and get out more again - one idea I've kicked around is a day-drive to clinch the Garden State Parkway in one go.

And this would technically still be 2022, but here's a long day-drive I'm thinking about doing sometime in the next couple weekends to celebrate:

-Leave the Baltimore area on I-70
-Drive the length of I-68 and head south on I-79 from there
-Drive the entirety of Corridor L (and maybe stop at the New River Gorge)
-Briefly get on the WV Turnpike (and check out the current Beckley Service Plaza prior to its upcoming demolition - I checked out both Bluestone & Morton on a previous drive a few months back where I clinched the WV Turnpike in one go)
-Head east on I-64 all the way to Richmond
-Bypass Richmond on I-295, then head north on I-95
-Take VA 207 to US 301 in order to check out the new Nice Bridge
-Return to the Baltimore area via either MD 5 to I-495 to I-95 or US 301 to MD 3 to I-97

Better pack an overnight bag, or expect to do a lot of driving in the dark.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

clong

Planning a family trip for next summer
Birmingham to Seattle (I-65 to Chicago, I-90/94 primarily to Seattle)
South on I-5 to Portland to begin our way back via I-80/84 to at least Illinois, still figuring out the exact route home from there to maximize roads and/or counties)

jmacswimmer

Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2022, 01:14:13 PM
Better pack an overnight bag, or expect to do a lot of driving in the dark.

I would plan to get an early start in order to put the dark portions closest to home on roads I'm more familiar with.  When I did the day-trip I mentioned above to clinch the WV Turnpike in August, I left around 5 am & got home a little before 7 PM (granted, there's much more daylight in August than December).  The route I took for that trip was:

-Left Baltimore area on I-95 SB, then I-495 Outer, I-66 WB, I-81 SB, I-77 NB, I-79 NB, US 48 EB, WV 92 SB, US 33 EB, WV 32 NB, US 48 EB, WV/VA 259 NB, US 50 EB, VA 37 NB, US 11 NB, I-81 NB, & finally I-70 EB back to the Baltimore area

I think the drive I'm planning should be an hour or 2 shorter with the Corridor L shortcut plus using I-64 versus dipping all the way down to Wytheville. If I did a similarly early start, I'd get sunrise before leaving Maryland and sunset maybe somewhere around the Nice Bridge.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Going to Memphis for the International Blues Challenge, in January.
I was going to do Upstate New York & New England in the spring, but I think I'll push that back into the summer to coincide with the Buffalo roadmeet.
Nothing else concrete for travel, outside of Ohio, beyond those two for the upcoming year.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 11:23:59 AM
This may be the first time I've done a Mexico trip by way of Monterrey (NL) instead of Monclova (Coah) since 2014.  However, I do not plan on taking I-35 through Fort Worth.  Instead, I plan to take an extra hour and do this route to Cotulla (TX).

1.  I'm seriously considering the OKC bypass that people on here have suggested:  Kilpatrick Turnpike to Sara Road.  Is there still a lot of road construction on Sara Road?

2.  The 301-mile stretch from Abilene to Dilley will be all new mileage for me.  In that part of Texas, I've never ventured between US-277 and I-35.

3.  On the Mexican side, this will be the first time I've driven the new toll road south of the old km-26 checkpoint (just south of Nuevo Laredo, down to the cuota/libre split at km-146).  I transited the northbound lanes by bus back in March of this year, but this will be my first time by car.

4.  One last stretch of new mileage will be this, from Fed-85 to NL-40D.  The reason for going to Monterrey on this trip is that part of our group will be flying into MTY, and the rest of us will meet up with them there.  I flew into MTY back in March, but we had lunch in the old town part of Monterrey before heading west, so we took NL-40D south from the airport that day.

Forgot to mention:

I also plan a slightly different route for the return trip through Texas, through Kerrville (routes shown here).  The 122-mile stretch from Devine to Junction will also be new mileage for me.  Kind of different, considering I don't usually even bother looking at a map anymore when we drive to Mexico.  But I've had to get more creative for this trip, because I'm juggling three factors:

1.  I still refuse to drive through Dallas—Fort Worth (to/from Galveston last year was a reluctant exception to this rule).

2.  We need to stop at the airport in Monterrey along the way.

3.  I'm planning around hotels that offer three-bed suites, now that our three sons are old enough to not cram into one bed anymore.

So I guess the master plan looks something like this:  https://goo.gl/maps/FJb3x4CSUQdNAvpP8
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 41

I'm going to be driving to Crater Lake, Oregon during the last week of June, which is when the road has always been reopened at the latest in the past (June 24 is the latest recorded day the west road has opened up). My vacation runs mid July- mid July (based on my first day of employment).

I have two weeks of vacation and am still trying to figure out where to use my other week of vacation. Got it narrowed down to 1 of these 3 I think.

Option 1) Mississippi River Delta region
Option 2) Clinch remaining counties in AZ and NM
Option 3) MX 16, MX 45, MX 10 in Chihuahua, MEX.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Max Rockatansky

Seems Colorado is probably on the menu for May.  Unclear at this point if it will be overland trip or by plane.  Seems one the objectives my wife has is it drop her Mom off to see family in Denver.  I foresee a grand circle of the four national parks since my wife has seen none of them.

Takumi

I'm saving for a wedding (among other related things) so I'm not planning much in the way of travel. Probably just going to clinch the remaining Richmond-area state routes I haven't yet (there are five, and two of them share and endpoint and the other three are all in the same general area). Otherwise I want to check out a few old state routes and probably make a trip to Virginia Beach when the Nando's there opens.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

elsmere241

Probably nothing significant for us, considering the trips we took this last summer basically wiped us out financially.  (Something about grossly overestimating the gas mileage for a van and trailer.) 

CoreySamson

It seems for me that a trip to Kansas City might be in order sometime in the next couple of months.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ozarkman417

I plan on buying a car at some point next year. Not long after the purchase, I plan on taking a long-ish trip to celebrate this purchase I have saved for and to give the vehicle its first true test. As for where this trip will be, I won't decide until I pull the trigger on the vehicle purchase.

MATraveler128

I'll be taking a few trips up to Northern New England as I am a skier and want to go during school break. The other guaranteed is our usual summer pilgrimage to Ocean City, NJ. As far as the rest of 2023, hard to say.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hotdogPi

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 15, 2022, 09:34:51 AM
I'll be taking a few trips up to Northern New England as I am a skier and want to go during school break. The other guaranteed is our usual summer pilgrimage to Ocean City, NJ. As far as the rest of 2023, hard to say.

If you're passing by I-93 or I-495 in the Lowell/Lawrence/Haverhill area, I'm willing to meet you for lunch, or possibly dinner depending on time (last bus leaves the station at 7, or 6 if I need a transfer).

So far, I've met SectorZ and noelbotevera and his father in person, as well as going to the Newburyport road meet.

This applies to anyone, by the way, not just BlueOutback7.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

I haven't been west since 2019 (except for a whirlwind 2020 trip), so I would like to do something in Colorado/New Mexico, but I've been thinking bigger than that as in potential international trips for next year.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

January: Going to visit the BC Interior for the first time as part of a ski trip up in the Kelowna area. Will be crossing that border a few times later in the year:

June: Something cross-country, hopefully. Looking at picking up new states in the North with a goal of driving to Philadelphia and onward to New England if I can. Will be saving most of the South for 2024's total eclipse.

September: Looking into a drive that takes me through Denver and Nashville to follow the Sounders on their road trip. Open to any suggestions/routings I should take.

Ketchup99

January: LA to San Fran, up US 101.

March: State College -> DC -> Nags Head (?), routing TBD.

May: Aarhus, Denmark -> Amsterdam. Excited to take the Autobahn.

Summer: State College, PA to Vancouver, Washington and back a month and a half later. Routing TBD. Open to suggestions! The idea I've got now is I-80 to Toledo, OH, then US-23 to Flint, MI, and I-75 to St. Ignace, MI. From there, it would be US-2 (or maybe cut across the UP on MI-28 instead?) west, and west, and west... all the way to Havre, Montana. Then, I'd take US-87, MT-200, and US-12 west to near Kennewick, WA, where I can hop south onto I-84 to the Portland area. But any ideas are welcome - if you've driven a route like this and have recs I'm here for them!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.