I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Quote from: AHTD on February 20, 2014, 12:03:36 AM
Indeed this is very good news!

Did you know we recently located our new District 04 HQ at Chaffee Crossing?
http://swtimes.com/sections/news/new-district-office-state-highway-department-open-barling.html

Planning is currently working on revised estimates for the Arkansas River crossing, once that is available we will post in this forum.

I've seen your new area HQ.  Very nice.  :thumbsup:    The sentence you wrote that I bolded above is key...just yesterday it was officially announced that Northwest Arkansas is growing by 23 people per day and that the metro area is (officially) just about to cross the 500,000 threshold.  Between Fort Smith and "NWA" that's about 800,000 people.  I'm sure there are going to be NWA commuters (patients AND workers) to this new school if it becomes as big as they say, as Fort Smith seems to be the area where the specialized medical care really seems to be settling in.  I know it won't happen overnight, but I sure hope the crossing can happen reasonably soon.

US71

http://swtimes.com/sections/news/new-district-office-state-highway-department-open-barling.html

I've driven by a couple times on my way to the nature center or to check on 49 ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on February 20, 2014, 09:58:07 AM

I've driven by a couple times on my way to the nature center or to check on 49 ;)

US 71, I know AHTD (the poster and the entity) are working as hard as they can to make a completed I-49 a reality, likely starting from east Fort Smith to the Missouri border for obvious necessary reasons.

But, MAN, I hope that somewhere along future I-49 in Arkansas some restaurateur who "makes the perfect pizza" comes along and successfully sets up shop, and that I'm alive and able to eat pizza when you make the announcement of your discovery of the same.  :D

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on February 20, 2014, 10:27:34 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 20, 2014, 09:58:07 AM

US 71, I know AHTD (the poster and the entity) are working as hard as they can to make a completed I-49 a reality, likely starting from east Fort Smith to the Missouri border for obvious necessary reasons.

Well, since I live fairly close, I like to track the progress (like when the Howard Hill Rd bridge was built last year ;) )

Gosh, that reminds me: I need to get some more photos soon ;)

But, MAN, I hope that somewhere along future I-49 in Arkansas some restaurateur who "makes the perfect pizza" comes along and successfully sets up shop, and that I'm alive and able to eat pizza when you make the announcement of your discovery of the same.  :D

Well, nobody's perfect though I have had several that come close.  Sadly, there is a dearth of even halfway decent places here :(

O Tamandua

Again, noteworthy comparison that the proposed construction above in Fort Smith off future (very soon for this stretch) I-49 is 200 acres, and that the tract Walmart bought at the future I-49/Bella Vista bypass south interchange is 5/8 this size at 125 acres, whatever that project is going to be (or if it's just an investment, which I would doubt).

bugo

Next time you're in Mena try Il Primo Pizza.  It's on hwy 71 on the "north" (really east) side of town in the strip mall that has Atwoods and a gas station in it.  When I was last there they didn't even have the sign up yet, but it's 2 or 3 doors down from Atwoods on the right hand side.  Best pizza I've ever had.  The owner is a real Italian guy from Chicago, and the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

O Tamandua

Quote from: bugo on February 20, 2014, 07:13:30 PM

Next time you're in Mena try Il Primo Pizza.  It's on hwy 71 on the "north" (really east) side of town in the strip mall that has Atwoods and a gas station in it.  When I was last there they didn't even have the sign up yet, but it's 2 or 3 doors down from Atwoods on the right hand side.  Best pizza I've ever had.  The owner is a real Italian guy from Chicago, and the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Thank you, bugo.  I was going to say "A real Italian guy from Chicago to Mena?!?!", but then I thought of when I-49 is built some day and west Arkansas is opened up to a whole new world (the way only an Interstate can - bet most of America has no clue what "the Talimena Scenic Drive" is but more may find out) who knows who may be temped to settle among the Ozarks and Ouachitas...  BTW, one of the most interesting characters I've ever worked with was from Detroit but spent time with relatives in Ink, AR, also in the same county as Mena...he was in suburban Atlanta when I worked with him.

US71

Quote from: bugo on February 20, 2014, 07:13:30 PM

Dang! You're making me want to take a day trip to Mena.

US71

In other news,  turn lanes and ramp tie-ins are coming for I-49 at US 71 south of Fort Smith.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/02/21/lane-closures-planned-for-highway-71/

AHTD

Quote from: M86 on February 20, 2014, 02:35:20 AM

Any chance you can rework Districts 4 and 9?  District 9 has their headquarters in Harrison.  The NWA metro is nearing half of a million people.  Why would Benton County's district headquarters be almost 2 hours away?  It's makes no sense, and is clearly creating issues here.

Over the last 100 years we have had more or less than 10 districts. Can't say at the moment why districts are as they exist (data not handy), but you are correct, a minute order would be required to make any changes. That stated, we have TWO area maintenance offices in Benton County and residents should not feel like they aren't getting the service they deserve simply because the District HQ isn't located there.

Remember- the function of these offices is maintenance - not construction. That is to say AHTD does not construct the projects and the presence of the district office would not make any project happen faster. We do have a construction engineer in each district who oversees the REs and the inspectors to ensure construction is completed as it should be.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

M86

Quote from: AHTD on February 23, 2014, 12:42:12 AM
Remember- the function of these offices is maintenance - not construction. That is to say AHTD does not construct the projects and the presence of the district office would not make any project happen faster. We do have a construction engineer in each district who oversees the REs and the inspectors to ensure construction is completed as it should be.

I'm very aware of the function of the maintenance offices... My comment wasn't about construction at all.

District 9 needs to look at signage in NWA.  I think there's a thread about the AR 12 routing.

If you can pass this along to District 9:

http://goo.gl/maps/6p9H3
I pass by this sign a lot in the dark... It's not readable at all.  Same with other state road signs along Monroe.
http://goo.gl/maps/ZuaVx

I noticed that Washington County did a refresh of signs recently along US 71B.

Benton County wasn't among that.

And there are no mileage distance signs on US 71/I-540 between the very south side of Fayetteville and the MO/AR state line... 40 miles.

Example:  http://goo.gl/maps/0u48s

This needs to be on the rebuild on I-540/Future I-49 in NWA:
http://goo.gl/maps/JkLHu

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 24, 2014, 03:04:04 AM

This needs to be on the rebuild on I-540/Future I-49 in NWA:
http://goo.gl/maps/JkLHu

Sort of looks like they may be doing that along I-540 near Zero St here in Ft Smith: the Jersey Barrier was rebuilt last year and has "prongs" for either a signpost or a lightpole.

bjrush

Seems like they have those prongs on the I-40 rebuild in Conway as well
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on February 24, 2014, 03:47:30 PM

Or maybe they are message boards (aka "Nag signs"):

Buckle up! State Law.
Don't Drink & Drive.
Don't Talk & Text
Don't Pick Your Nose.

;)

bjrush

I heard there are some issues on the new bridges in Fort Smith...the supports and bridge deck are 8" off where they are supposed to be.

Any delays that may come of this?
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

Which bridge specifically and we'll run it down for you.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

I heard Highway 22 bridge

Thanks!
Woo Pig Sooie

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 22, 2014, 03:10:04 PM
The January 21 AHTD Presentation to the Siloam Springs Rotary Club has been posted and it includes this depiction of the initial connection between Highway 71 and the Bella Vista Bypass [page 25/44 of pdf]

AHTD's March 5 ASCE Day of Training powerpoint includes a slide that provides a good visual of the current construction schedule for the Bella Vista Bypass (page 27/64 of pdf):

Spring 2014 is not too far off .... Fall 2014 is really not too far off, either.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Grzrd on March 08, 2014, 10:37:50 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 22, 2014, 03:10:04 PM
The January 21 AHTD Presentation to the Siloam Springs Rotary Club has been posted and it includes this depiction of the initial connection between Highway 71 and the Bella Vista Bypass [page 25/44 of pdf]

AHTD's March 5 ASCE Day of Training powerpoint includes a slide that provides a good visual of the current construction schedule for the Bella Vista Bypass (page 27/64 of pdf):

Spring 2014 is not too far off .... Fall 2014 is really not too far off, either.

No, it isn't.  Also fascinating:

1.  What we see as "Gravette" on this map was once the unincorporated community of Hiwasse.  (To show how rural this area was not long ago, as recently as 1983 Jane/Caverna, MO got their mail delivery from Hiwasse!)  They've been laying new water lines along hwy. 72 east to the new bridge/interchange south of Mt. Pleasant Road on this map.  Guessing Gravette will benefit from growth along this corridor.

2. The smallest anticipated contract on the Arkansas side of the BV bypass is the County Rd. 34 - Missouri line section in green.  Tells me that when Missouri is able to see the light, this may not take that long to finish, relatively speaking.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

O Tamandua

Quote from: NE2 on March 09, 2014, 12:17:30 AM
Ah, Gravette annexed Hiwasse in 2012: http://www.eagleobserver.com/news/2012/feb/29/hiwasse-move-annex-gravette-okd-20120229/ http://www.cityofgravette-ar.gov/ord.%2012-03%20annex..pdf
Hiwasse will now go the way of Brooklyn.

Yep.  They sure didn't want to go the way of Bella Vista, hence the annexation.

bjrush

Quote from: Grzrd on March 08, 2014, 10:37:50 PM

Did you attend the day of training? I was there in the morning but was unable to stay for Scott Bennett's speech
Woo Pig Sooie

Grzrd

Quote from: bjrush on March 09, 2014, 02:50:28 PM
Did you attend the day of training?

No, I am a non-engineer hobbyist and I just skimmed through the powerpoint after it was posted online.

M86

Quote from: US71 on February 24, 2014, 03:52:24 PM
Quote from: bjrush on February 24, 2014, 03:47:30 PM

Or maybe they are message boards (aka "Nag signs"):

Buckle up! State Law.
Don't Drink & Drive.
Don't Talk & Text
Don't Pick Your Nose.

;)

US71, do we have to go over this again?!  :P

Hey, those signs provide Amber Alerts, and in some states, weather and road conditions/closures.

I believe a few will be installed along I-540 in NWA, from what I've researched.  And if NWA gets it together, a sophisticated ITS system could be implemented along I-540/Future I-49.

bjrush

AHTD, I was looking at the Benton County construction map and it looks to me that the BVB sections being constructed are showing up as frontage roads for I-49, not as the main lanes. Is this the case? Hopefully the map is in error.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/programs_contracts_division/gis/Current_JobStatusMaps/job_status_benton.pdf

I looked at the construction set for Hwy 72 north-Co. Rd. 34 (job 090293) and there is a (F) at the end of the job title. Does this indicate "frontage road"?

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/PREVIOUS%20LETTING%20PLANS/2012/May%202012/090293.pdf
(warning y'all, huge file)
Woo Pig Sooie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.