News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Where'd My Freeway Go?"

Started by theroadwayone, March 06, 2018, 02:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCatalyst31

Interstate 229 in Sioux Falls used to be infamous for turning into an unpaved road just past its northern terminus. It just becomes a paved two-lane road now, though the pavement still ends a few miles north of its terminus.

mgk920

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 06, 2018, 03:40:29 PM
The former MN-5 segment east of MN-120. Not a freeway, but is a four-lane, 55 MPH divided road that ended at a T-intersection with two-lane MN-120. The roadway west of there (and I don't remember to where it was intended to continue, perhaps froggie or TheHighwayMan394 can fill me in) was cancelled. If you play with the date slider on GSV you can see the new MnDOT facility that's been recently constructed on the vacant land.

You forgot MN 77 in Apple Valley, MN (south MStP suburbs) - It is a typical well-engineered late 20th Century urban/suburban freeway that drops down to a major surface arterial (Cedar Ave) just south of McAndrews Rd in Apple Valley, with no visible provisions to further extend the freeway within the foreseeable future.

Mike

1995hoo

BTW, the OP needs to find the photo of the original end of the Kansas Turnpike for the ultimate "where'd my freeway go?"  scene.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2018, 11:44:29 AM
BTW, the OP needs to find the photo of the original end of the Kansas Turnpike for the ultimate "where'd my freeway go?"  scene.

Need one of the old end of the Mass Pike too.  Same deal when it used to end at MA 102 a few feet short of the NY line.  Can still see the ghost ramps, but it's not the same as an actual pic.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

GreenLanternCorps

I-675 (Ohio) goes from a 4 lane interstate down to two lane Spangler Road  just north of the cloverleaf with I-70.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8656586,-83.9934867,3a,15y,-0.96h,90.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snHjmVAU-4YxucwyXf8kn1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Spangler Rd. was chopped up into three pieces and re-routed due to 675.  One orphaned section was renamed Roehner Dr.

Lived near there and remember the construction near my house circa 1970-1974...

formulanone

Mississippi Highway 740: the Fun-Sized freeway in Senatobia.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mgk920 on March 08, 2018, 10:40:34 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 06, 2018, 03:40:29 PM
The former MN-5 segment east of MN-120. Not a freeway, but is a four-lane, 55 MPH divided road that ended at a T-intersection with two-lane MN-120. The roadway west of there (and I don't remember to where it was intended to continue, perhaps froggie or TheHighwayMan394 can fill me in) was cancelled. If you play with the date slider on GSV you can see the new MnDOT facility that's been recently constructed on the vacant land.
You forgot MN 77 in Apple Valley, MN (south MStP suburbs) - It is a typical well-engineered late 20th Century urban/suburban freeway that drops down to a major surface arterial (Cedar Ave) just south of McAndrews Rd in Apple Valley, with no visible provisions to further extend the freeway within the foreseeable future.

It's a freeway that drops down to surface roads at both ends, really. The north terminus at MN-62 in Minneapolis is even worse, if less traveled.

mrcmc888

I-140 in Maryville, TN ends in a T-junction with TN-33.  The interstate is meant to continue to US 321, but has been stuck in limbo for a while.

bzakharin

Speaking of fun-size freeways, NJ 133's western terminus is a traffic light. The roadway continues beyond there as a 35 MPH 2-lane road before ending at a stop sign shortly thereafter.

amroad17

Syracuse has a few. Both ends of the NY 5 Camillus bypass and the north end of NY 690 Baldwinsville bypass.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sbeaver44

Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 06, 2018, 02:25:45 PM
Interstate 176 in PA: Ends at 422 abruptly.

It ends at US 422 via a trumpet interchange.  US 422 is the Reading Bypass freeway there.

I have a weird obsession with I-176.  It's always relatively empty, and only has a few exits.  Plus, its former section (SR 2089) connecting to PA 10/PA 23 still exists from when Morgantown was a mini-Breezewood.

Nexus 6P

sbeaver44

Also in PA:
-US 219 just east of Somerset is a forced exit onto a 2-lane road.  PennDOT is working on linking Somerset to Meyersdale
-US 11/15 at the US 522 junction in Selinsgrove is another forced exit
-US 219 freeway ends at a T intersection north of Ebensburg
-PA 43 goes from 70 mph freeway to sharp mandatory left turn onto Jefferson Blvd to connect to PA 51 at its northern end in Jefferson Hills.
-PA 576 South ends at a T intersection with the US 22 East ramp.
-PA 283 West ends at a traffic light with Eisenhower Blvd and a Wendy's just west of I-283
-US 30 exits itself in Exton into an intersection, having been the Coatesville-Downingtown Bypass.  Staying on the freeway results in merging onto the US 202 freeway.
-PA 63/Woodhaven Road has a freeway that abruptly ends at US 1 in Philadelphia. PA 63 then continues on US 1 for a bit.
-US 13 freeway ends and continues past US 1 as Pine Grove Rd in Morrisville
-PA 33 freeway ends at a traffic light with PA 611 and a shopping center in Bartonsville

New York
-US 220 and its freeway end just past NY 17 in Waverly at a T intersection with Chemung Ave.  This is about 1500 feet from the PA line.

Nexus 6P

Beltway

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 13, 2018, 08:05:05 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 06, 2018, 02:25:45 PM
Interstate 176 in PA: Ends at 422 abruptly.
It ends at US 422 via a trumpet interchange.  US 422 is the Reading Bypass freeway there.
I have a weird obsession with I-176.  It's always relatively empty, and only has a few exits.  Plus, its former section (SR 2089) connecting to PA 10/PA 23 still exists from when Morgantown was a mini-Breezewood.

The new I-176 connection to the Turnpike is an ideal place and it has a PA-10 local interchange north of the town.

The original I-176 connection to west of the town is still very useful, as it connects to PA-10 and PA-23 segments west of the town and obviates needing to go thru the town to connect between those routes.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 13, 2018, 08:31:07 PM
New York
-US 220 and its freeway end just past NY 17 in Waverly at a T intersection with Chemung Ave.  This is about 1500 feet from the PA line.
I'd say the freeway ends further south than that.  The US 220/NY 17 interchange is not freeway/freeway.  Also, US 220 was recently truncated and no longer enters NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

catsynth

Quote from: sparker on March 07, 2018, 04:27:13 PM
There are a few such instances in the Bay area; in the South Bay CA 237 terminates at El Camino Real/CA 82 at a stoplight about a half-mile after interchanging with the CA 85 freeway; the 237 alignment (called Mtn. View-Alviso Road) continues south as Grant St. in Mountain View.  Also, CA 4's eastern freeway end is currently a series of signals southeast of Brentwood; current construction will bypass the westernmost of these, but the freeway is slated to terminate (at least for the time being) at Marsh Creek Road, where CA 4 turns east toward Discovery Bay & Stockton; continuing on the freeway alignment will take one onto SB Vasco Road, which crosses the hills into Livermore.  Moving north, I-780 abruptly ends at an intersection in Vallejo after crossing under and interchanging with (via a terribly underpowered cloverleaf) I-80.  And finally, CA 12's E-W freeway through Santa Rosa ends at a stoplight (although the configuration is one of an "offramp" and grading for some future development is evident, it's highly unlikely, given the local NIMBY factor, the cost of property acquisition (suburbs + winery country), and the general regional opposition to new freeway development, that it will be extended within anyone's lifetime.   

To this list, I can add I-280 in SF, which ends at 5th and King Streets, and continues as King; and the Central Freeway, which terminates abruptly at Market and continues as Octavia Blvd (US 101 actually exits the freeway a little earlier at Mission St).  There is a freeway section of CA 1 south of SF that ends at a stoplight in Pacifica and continues as a surface street.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

catsynth

In NYC:
Jackie Robinson Parkway ends at a stoplight in the East New York neighborhood of Brooklyn.
NY 9A (Henry Hudson Parkway and West Side Highway) alights to a surface road with a traffic signal around 57th Street.
Northbound, the FDR Drive / Harlem River Drive ends at a signaled intersection with 10th Ave and Dykman Street.

North of NYC, the I-684 freeway continues north from I-84 as NY 22 briefly, before becoming a surface road.

And then there are both ends of I-587 near Kingston :D

(This seems to be a rather common phenomenon, at least in my home states of NY and CA)
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

RobbieL2415

Can we count the east end of I-89?  It ends at at T-intersection with NH 3A but its also right after a trumpet interchange with I-93?

Other freeways that end abruptly: CT 25 (stoplight), CT-2 (stoplight), I-990 (stoplight though stub is "active"), CT 11 (stub), the various US 7 freeways in CT and VT (transition to surface street or stoplight), MA 57 (stub, though "active"), I-291 (MA & CT, stoplights), I-391 (stoplight), Hutchison River Parkway (technically ends and the Bruckner interchange but is signed to side streets adjacent to I-678 by NYCDOT, then loops around underneath the Whitestone Bridge), I-495 (NY, stub), I-290 (MA, transitions to two-lane sfc street)

lordsutch

Quote from: formulanone on March 08, 2018, 01:40:55 PM

Actually 740's not a freeway - the marker is right at an at-grade intersection.

I-170's south end in St. Louis used to crash into a shopping center just south of I-64/US 40, but that was fixed (or at least improved a bit) as part of the I-64 rebuilding project a few years ago.

catsynth

Bronx River Parkway southern terminus at Story Ave.
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

formulanone

Quote from: lordsutch on March 15, 2018, 12:52:34 AM
Quote from: formulanone on March 08, 2018, 01:40:55 PM

Actually 740's not a freeway - the marker is right at an at-grade intersection.

I-170's south end in St. Louis used to crash into a shopping center just south of I-64/US 40, but that was fixed (or at least improved a bit) as part of the I-64 rebuilding project a few years ago.

You're right, I drove on it last week and thought it had the potential for grade separations throughout its length.

bugo

Two city-owned freeways in Tulsa: the freeway sections of the LL Tisdale Parkway and the Gilcrease Expressway end at a traffic light between the two roads.

cheungd

CA-244 in Sacramento, although Caltrans and motorists often treat it instead as a long on/off ramp between Auburn Boulevard and I-80/I-80-Business.

TEG24601

The west end of I-90 ends in two pieces now.  One is a loop ramp to a T-Intesection with 4th Avenue on the East Side of Century Link Field.  The other, connects to Edgar Martinez Dr., just West of the interchange between 4th Avenue and Edgar Martinez Dr/I-90 East, then down a ramp to 1st Ave/Dave Neihaus Way.

Portland's I-405 just ends at a Hospital in NE Portland.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

vdeane

Quote from: TEG24601 on March 18, 2018, 04:33:59 PM
Portland's I-405 just ends at a Hospital in NE Portland.
Check the street view.  It clearly goes to I-5 north.  The ramp to the hospital is signed as an exit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

davewiecking

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2018, 11:44:29 AM
Kansas Turnpike at Oklahoma border, 1956. Courtesy of the "Odd Temporary Endings to Freeways..." chain (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21328.0)

Similar submission: the north end of Arkansas's I-49 at the Texas border:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5180672,-94.0439474,898m/data=!3m1!1e3

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.