What are some roads where the speed limit is too high?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 05, 2017, 10:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

NY is starting to do nanny speed limits on some freeways.  I-81 used to be 65 up to exit 50, then 55, 40 over the bridge, then 65 all the way to customs.  Now it drops to 40 a whole mile before the bridge and 55 a mile before that, and the 40 mph zone that used to start right in front of customs now starts a mile before exit 52.  Similar deal on I-87.  I-781 drops to 45 half a mile before each terminus and 55 half a mile before that, even though actually doing the speed limit like that is so slow it's painful.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 17, 2017, 09:38:22 PM
NY is starting to do nanny speed limits on some freeways.  I-81 used to be 65 up to exit 50, then 55, 40 over the bridge, then 65 all the way to customs.  Now it drops to 40 a whole mile before the bridge and 55 a mile before that, and the 40 mph zone that used to start right in front of customs now starts a mile before exit 52.  Similar deal on I-87.  I-781 drops to 45 half a mile before each terminus and 55 half a mile before that, even though actually doing the speed limit like that is so slow it's painful.

That's Region 7. The only other thing that resembles a nanny speed limit is NY 17 through the Catskills and, honestly, 65 there would probably encourage people unfamiliar with the area to do it and get themselves killed on one of the curves.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2017, 09:50:41 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 17, 2017, 09:38:22 PM

That's Region 7. The only other thing that resembles a nanny speed limit is NY 17 through the Catskills and, honestly, 65 there would probably encourage people unfamiliar with the area to do it and get themselves killed on one of the curves.
I can think of a couple around here, but wanted to keep my post out of my region.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Quote from: corco on June 17, 2017, 07:27:14 PM
A weird fear that if you raised the speed limits to something reasonable everybody would still go 10-15 over.

This same idea always comes up in UT every time speed limits are discussed. Here, a few years ago the urban speed limits on interstates were raised from 65 to 70 mph, and most rural interstates are now 80 mph, up from 75. These changes were mostly done because the vast majority of traffic on the road was already going these speeds.

Of course, there is always someone who cries out "But then they'll all go even faster!" usually some old guy in the legislature who hasn't actually driven on the freeway in years. This idea has been proven wrong. The DOT did speed surveys before and after the changes, and average speeds either didn't change at all or didn't go up any more than 2 mph. What the change did do is get the differences in speed to decrease, which makes for safer driving overall.

In general, people don't drive so fast that they feel like they're in danger, because they value their life and their car and don't want to get into a wreck. Natural selection will gradually weed out the drivers who go so fast they put themselves in danger.

doorknob60

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 08:09:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2017, 06:39:31 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 14, 2017, 03:06:13 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 14, 2017, 01:01:10 AM
I don't even know what that's like. In Utah, there is a legislated 65 mph max on any road that is not an Interstate.
65 is high for a two lane road.

Meh...not out west is often isn't.  There are plenty of 70 MPH zones in Montana and 75 MPH in Texas which are completely adequate.  Hell I love that California lets you just go nuts with the 55 MPH rural limit on Mountain grades, might as well have some fun if you the only person around.

California and Washington now appear to be in last place (out west) in regards to single-carriageway speed limits. Washington doesn't have any above 65 (though there's no legislated limit for single-carriageway roads -- all state highways have a default of 60), and California is still stuck in the dark ages of 55. I believe at least one stretch of highway in SE Oregon is posted at 70, so for once, Oregon is the level-headed one.

California has a good number of 2 lane highways posted at 65 (unless you're referring to the truck 55 limit, bleh). US-97 and US-395 are the first two that come to mind, and I'm sure there are more.

Super Mateo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
I remember seeing 55 mph on part of US 60 in WV that was way too winding for it.  I could barely do 40 mph as it was a curve every 200 feet.  This was several years ago, but hopefully they changed it since then.

The same is true on US 52, particularly on the stretch between Williamson and Bluefield.  It's all zigzagging through the mountains and nearly impossible to get up to 55 mph unless you're a daring person.  It's also not flat, which means going uphill that slamming on the gas may still not get you to 55 or going downhill, which is just plain scary if you're letting the car gain speed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.