News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Over-the -top measure to stop street racing accidents at T junction

Started by Brian556, May 16, 2013, 03:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This is at McGee and Bogard in Lewisville, Tx Appearently there was a street racing problem here, and several accidents at the T junction. The city first narrowed northbound traffic to one lane to prevent side-by-side driving, and to make it harder to turn left at a high rate of speed without stopping.

This latest measure of using temp barriers is rediculous. You can't see over them adaquatly at the stop sign.

Alps

If you can't see over a 30" barrier, you should not be driving.

Brian556

I can see over them, but not well. They do hinder visability. I drive a Camry. They have to be higher than 30 inches, because they are higher than the bottom of my car window. A quick check of the website of the barricade company that these were purchased from shows that they sell these in 32 and 42 inch versions. I suspect that these are the 42-inchers. It was determined that standard height Jersey barriers cause visability problems at intersections, and thats why the low-profile square concrete barriers are often used on non-controlled access roadway work zones.

Think about this. If I can't see over them very well from my Camry, how is the driver of a Corvette going to be able to see over them at all. The driver's seat of a Corvette is much lower.

Brian556

This is the view with the front of my car on the stop bar.

Alps

42 inches is a different animal from 30 inches, definitely. They should use the low-profile ones if the intent is to channelize, and not to protect anything.

Revive 755

I wonder how well a roundabout might work at this corner, although it might require adjusting the alignment of the two streets to avoid taking out any houses.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.