Request: make it so you can see how much you have posted in all the boards

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 29, 2021, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 09:46:29 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 30, 2021, 09:44:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 30, 2021, 08:39:24 PM
It still amazes me that people care so much about their statistics on this forum. I don't know my post counts or percentages, nor do I care.

"It still amazes me that people care so much about what font a road sign is. I don't know my Series D or Series E, nor do I care."

Regarding the signage fonts, that's something I don't get either.  Some people really get enraged over things like font type face or where a sign is nominally out of MUTCD spec.  In terms of signage the weird something is the more interesting I tend to find it.

I mean, everyone's got their thing they like to focus on. I really just used it more for an example. I personally don't care much about bridge designs, but this forum has an entire board dedicated to them, so obviously someone cares.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2021, 08:46:50 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2021, 08:42:57 PM
It still amazes me that people care so much about their statistics on this forum. I don't know my post counts or percentages, nor do I care.

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed/surprised by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to me.

Oh, by the way, amongst active users: you have the most posts of anyone.

Really I can care less about forum stats myself.  The fascination people have with forum stats is kind of surreal to me because it's not something I've really ever put thought into.
Although for you, you have some very interesting states. You have a very high posting pace, being the 4th most prolific poster despite only being around since early 2016. Your post per day average might be this highest on the forum.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 09:52:02 PM
Really I can care less about forum stats myself.  The fascination people have with forum stats is kind of surreal to me because it's not something I've really ever put thought into.

Although for you, you have some very interesting states. You have a very high posting pace, being the 4th most prolific poster despite only being around since early 2016. Your post per day average might be this highest on the forum.

I think that may be correct, at least among users who've been on the forum for more than a couple years. Having a high post-per-day rate is easy enough if you've only been on the forum for a month or two, but maintaining such a post rate year after year is not an easy task.

I'm sure people see me post quite often; I know my post-per-day rate is pretty high for as long as I've been on the forum. But at no point during my time on the forum have I, for example, worked a full-time job (only part-time gigs) and the last three years I've been a full-time student. So I have a fair amount of time to browse and post, but I also disappear for days at a time when I'm with my girlfriend.

Among other users, like Max or kphoger: I don't know where they get the time to post as often as they do. It's obviously not a problem, but it's still interesting!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2021, 10:01:37 PM
Really I can care less about forum stats myself.  The fascination people have with forum stats is kind of surreal to me because it’s not something I’ve really ever put thought into.

I think that may be correct, at least among users who've been on the forum for more than a couple years. Having a high post-per-day rate is easy enough if you've only been on the forum for a month or two, but maintaining such a post rate year after year is not an easy task.

I'm sure people see me post quite often; I know my post-per-day rate is pretty high for as long as I've been on the forum. But at no point during my time on the forum have I, for example, worked a full-time job (only part-time gigs) and the last three years I've been a full-time student. So I have a fair amount of time to browse and post, but I also disappear for days at a time when I'm with my girlfriend.

Among other users, like Max or kphoger: I don't know where they get the time to post as often as they do. It's obviously not a problem, but it's still interesting!
My posts per day isn't crazy, but I either post 10 times a day or 0. I use the forum is bursts laster a few months, then I lose interest for a bit. I also don't have a job and have tons of free time. Back in the old days my posts per day was over 10. 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

I do have a full time job, and sometimes wonder how others do it as well. I'll be the first to admit I spend too much time here, but on most days, I just can't resist checking in throughout the day. And then once I post something, well of course I have to check back for replies.

As for whether it's a problem, I actually think it is - not because I'm not getting my job done, more because there's a few long-term items that get the shaft and I feel a tad guilty - but it's one of those things where it might take someone else to tell me so before I change my habits. Hopefully it won't have to come to that.

Alps

I used to be a lot more active. I used to read every post in every board. Now I read a handful of boards so I've slowed way down in how I accumulate posts.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 10:05:03 PM

My posts per day isn't crazy, but I either post 10 times a day or 0. I use the forum is bursts laster a few months, then I lose interest for a bit. I also don't have a job and have tons of free time. Back in the old days my posts per day was over 10.

Regarding why I'm on here so often:

-  I'm pretty active in regards to going out and doing things related to the road hobby.
-  I don't have kids or anyone asking for much attention at home and I almost constantly multitask.
-  I have a job with really dull lulls which is when I spend most of my times on this forum and other road pages. 

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on March 30, 2021, 11:20:21 PM
I used to be a lot more active. I used to read every post in every board. Now I read a handful of boards so I've slowed way down in how I accumulate posts.
Ditto.  I actually perused Fictional Highways once upon a time.  Then, it dawned on me that I didn't have to subject myself to it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2021, 12:12:46 AM
Ditto.  I actually perused Fictional Highways once upon a time.  Then, it dawned on me that I didn't have to subject myself to it.
Fictional highways has some good stuff, just ignore FritzOwl.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2021, 07:51:06 AM

That's a huge ask.  It was a fun board until he monopolized it. 

SkyPesos

You know FritzOwl is pretty much the fictional board when his thread reached 100 pages recently.

Rothman

Not for me.  Although I am interested in actual, real proposals, roadgeek dreams that are mostly separated from engineering realities just aren't worth my time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2021, 08:22:52 AM
Not for me.  Although I am interested in actual, real proposals, roadgeek dreams that are mostly separated from engineering realities just aren't worth my time.

froggie's plans are almost all realistic. Here's a list of his plans (scroll to bottom of page): https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=20.600;sort=starter
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SkyPesos

Considering I-73/74 is a "real life proposal"  even if it's mostly dead in Ohio and Michigan, I'll take some of the fictional ideas over that, especially the proposed WV section. Not sure about you.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 08:25:35 AM

froggie's plans are almost all realistic. Here's a list of his plans (scroll to bottom of page): https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=20.600;sort=starter

But that's the exception and not the rule.  Most of the non-Fritz stuff still reads like Freewayjim Fan Fiction. 

Rothman

Great.  Let me know when they see the light of day in the real world.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2021, 08:28:26 AM

But that's the exception and not the rule.  Most of the non-Fritz stuff still reads like Freewayjim Fan Fiction.
^This.  Put it better than I could have.

GaryV

Really I can care less about forum stats myself.  The fascination people have with forum stats is kind of surreal to me because it’s not something I’ve really ever put thought into.

Which means you must care about it somewhat, because you could care less.

If you don't care at all, then you couldn't care less.

(Maybe this should be in the minor things thread instead.)

Roadgeekteen

Freewayjim? What does he have to do with this?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2021, 10:15:39 AM

Freewayjim? What does he have to do with this?

It's an analogy for subpar road hobby content and posters. 

Now that said, that isn't a jab at Freewayjim himself nor his videos.  What I am saying though is that a lot of the people who post on his page are new to the hobby or don't really understand how transportation works.  That's more or what typically comes up on the Fictional Board as well. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on March 31, 2021, 09:22:26 AM

Which means you must care about it somewhat, because you could care less.

If you don't care at all, then you couldn't care less.

(Maybe this should be in the minor things thread instead.)

A minor thing drives me up the wall is my almost complete inability to immediately proof read something I just wrote (case and point given the context with could/couldn't can be taken differently).  When I do serious writing I'll reread the entire document after I've wrote it.  I always catch proofreading errors I didn't see on my initial scan. 

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2021, 08:56:49 PM

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 08:43:47 PM

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to me.

I thought Kphoger holds the most posts record.

Yeah, he does. My bad. I misread the list wrong. I was so used to Jake (agentsteel53) having the most that I just crossed right over the top user.

Oh, the irony that neither HB nor I care about our post count, and that Jake has no desire to participate in the forum at all anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I was among the top 10 posters....on Misc.transport.road....back in 2001 & 2002.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 11:53:27 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 30, 2021, 08:56:49 PM

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 08:43:47 PM

We're all into minor details and shit. That you're actually amazed by our interest in stats and stuff is startling to me.

I thought Kphoger holds the most posts record.

Yeah, he does. My bad. I misread the list wrong. I was so used to Jake (agentsteel53) having the most that I just crossed right over the top user.

Oh, the irony that neither HB nor I care about our post count, and that Jake has no desire to participate in the forum at all anymore.
That's good, that means you care enough about posting to post a ton without caring about the number.

hbelkins

How in the world did you manage to do that? Do you not have a need to sleep?

I don't look at every board, much less every post on the forum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.