News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

St. Louis freeways

Started by Chris, June 21, 2009, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

A bit late on this project as well: Planned improvements on I-70 in St Charles County for interchanges with Cave Springs, Zumbehl and MO 94 (exits 225, 227 and 228). Project site: https://www.i70csfg.com/. No final design have been listed yet, which is a bit unusual has as the timeline have the project to be awarded in "Early 2022", and that I haven't seen this listed in the MoDOT Contract Listings thread. But they have 4 options: 2-way frontage roads, 1-way frontage roads, SPUIs, DDIs and roundabouts.

There are preliminary renderings of what a 2-way frontage road and 1-way frontage road options would look like at each interchange. Note that they aren't confirmed to be the final design yet and could change. Videos are at the bottom of this page: https://www.i70csfg.com/options.html. It looks like the mainline will be widened to 4 lanes in both cases, which is good to know. I'll give a TLDR here of what it'll look like at each interchange, with some images.

1-way
- DDI at MO 94

- Connection between Hawks Nest Rd and frontage road
- Some sort of B4 parclo/roundabouts hybrid at Zumbehl

- Some sort of full cloverleaf/roundabouts hybrid at Cave Springs

2-way
- DDI at MO 94
- Slightly different layout for connection between Hawks Nest Rd and frontage road
- SPUI at Zumbehl

- SPUI at Cave Springs

My take on this: I prefer the 1-way frontage road option, but I think they went way overboard with the interchange design. From my experience living in this area about 10 years ago, a lot of the issues I've seen have to do with the little distance between the frontage road and ramps. So I think standard diamond interchanges with the frontage road (removing the problem I stated above), with slip lanes to access them from the mainline, and Texas U-turns at each interchange should be adequate, in addition to a WB 70 to WB 94 flyover, but hey, I'm not a professional traffic engineer.

Tom958

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 27, 2022, 08:36:29 PM
A bit late on this project as well: Planned improvements on I-70 in St Charles County for interchanges with Cave Springs, Zumbehl and MO 94 (exits 225, 227 and 228).

These are fascinating. I can't afford to become conversant with this project, but I want to thank you for posting these.

Rothman

Quote from: Tom958 on April 28, 2022, 05:56:54 AM
A bit late on this project as well: Planned improvements on I-70 in St Charles County for interchanges with Cave Springs, Zumbehl and MO 94 (exits 225, 227 and 228).

These are fascinating. I can't afford to become conversant with this project, but I want to thank you for posting these.
What would it cost you?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

MoDOT is starting a study for US 40 between Kingshighway and Jefferson:  https://www.modot.org/node/25701

Study website:  http://future64.com/

Plutonic Panda

It should be 4 lanes GP each way with two toll lanes each way to future proof it. At the very least just 4 lanes each way is probably expected well only if we're lucky.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 29, 2022, 03:44:27 AM
It should be 4 lanes GP each way with two toll lanes each way to future proof it. At the very least just 4 lanes each way is probably expected well only if we're lucky.
The I-70 Missouri River bridge is 10 lanes (a constraint to further widening), and it's confirmed that it'll be widened to 4 lanes each way in the project area (exits 225-229). I think what would help traffic levels as well is encouraging through traffic to use MO 370 to I-270 instead of I-70 to I-270. Maybe slap Indianapolis as a control city on EB MO 370?

edwaleni

Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2022, 06:52:51 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on April 28, 2022, 05:56:54 AM

What would it cost you?

He probably uses a metered hotspot for his internet and doesn't want to exceed his data cap, hence "can't afford it".

skluth

How do you propose to squeeze all those lanes between Vandeventer and Market where the highway is already two decks? There is no room to widen it there. Widening it still won't fix the worst problem on I-64, the underbuilt portion between I-170 and Forest Park.

Revive 755

Quote from: skluth on April 29, 2022, 01:03:06 PM
How do you propose to squeeze all those lanes between Vandeventer and Market where the highway is already two decks? There is no room to widen it there. Widening it still won't fix the worst problem on I-64, the underbuilt portion between I-170 and Forest Park.

Add a third deck?  :spin:

Widening that stretch would also only worsen the bottleneck going east towards the PSB.

brad2971

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 28, 2022, 09:54:10 PM
MoDOT is starting a study for US 40 between Kingshighway and Jefferson:  https://www.modot.org/node/25701

Just saw this. While the study is in its beginning stages, the improvement seems obvious to me, especially with the new Jefferson/22nd St interchange being close to completion: Close down the silly interchange complex at Forest Park/Grand Blvd by Chaiffetz Arena and reconnect Forest Park Ave+Market Street. Then, widen I-64 as needed.

Sani

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 28, 2022, 09:54:10 PM

If I remember right, this section was originally part of The New I-64, but it was removed to get the project budget down. The original plan also had SPUIs with dedicated ramps at Hanley and Brentwood, and the overpasses were supposed to have the street names stamped into the side of the bridge, rather than hanging on separate signs in the middle. (See Compton Avenue as an example of how it was supposed to be.)

Revive 755

^ My recollection is the Highway 40 rebuild was originally going to stop around Sarah Street and not get into the long bridges east of there.

skluth

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 10, 2022, 10:39:09 PM
^ My recollection is the Highway 40 rebuild was originally going to stop around Sarah Street and not get into the long bridges east of there.

That's correct. I used to hang out at JJ's at Vandeventer and Market; I heard a lot of bitching from my friends who came in from Mid-County and even St Chuck back then. No work was done or even planned east of Vandeventer on I-64 on that project. The rebuild was only planned from west of there to I-270. The first part was west of I-170, then east of I-170 to Vandeventer (or Sarah, one block west).

SkyPesos

Focusing on the St Louis portion of this posted in the general Missouri thread:
Quote from: mvak36 on May 19, 2022, 11:44:36 AM
2023-2027 Draft STIP is available online. I've only gotten a chance to look at the projects in the KC area. Biggest project is for I-70 between downtown and I-435. Another project of interest is I-49 widening in Cass county as I mentioned in the other thread.

These projects might get delayed if SB262 (gas tax increase from 2021) gets repealed.
Some things that caught my attention

Scoping and design projects list:
- MO 364 and 141 interchange improvements (yes, a new one after the recent one that finished earlier this year)
- I-64 and MO 141 interchange improvements
- I-64 and I-70 interchange improvements
- I-64 and Grand Blvd interchange improvements
- More I-270 north loop improvements

Highway and bridge construction list:
- Widening of I-64 from I-70 to MO K. This one is shaded in dark gray, so would be removed if the gas tax increase gets repealed.
- Widening of I-55 south to US 67. This one is also shaded in dark gray.
- I-70 realignment near Wentzville Pkwy interchange
- Payments to IDOT for various Mississippi river bridge improvements, including the I-270 bridge.

Sani

The option with a one-way frontage road and DDI at I-70 and MO 94 reminds me of a super-sized version of I-35 and 95th Street here in Johnson County. That interchange is smaller and obviously doesn't deal with the same volume of traffic, but it works reasonably well for providing access to the nearby businesses.

SkyPesos

A week late on this, but here's the proposed redesign for the I-70/US 40/US 61 interchange:

More detailed image w/ lane markings: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Conceptual%20Preferred%20Alternative%20Exhibit.pdf

Looking at US 40/61 south of the interchange, it shows as 3 lanes each way. I wonder if this means that the 4-lane section between I-70 and MO K will finally get widened to 6 lanes, something long overdue along with the I-70 improvements +-2 miles from the interchange location.

SkyPesos

I found out today that MoDOT has Flickr albums for construction projects. Here are the pages and photos of two ongoing projects in St Charles County that I've been keeping up with:

1) MO 364/94/Muegee interchange: Adds in the remaining movements for the previously partial interchange. Centerpiece is a DDI for Muegee Rd over MO 94. Construction started in late 2021, will be done by mid 2023
- Project Page
- Flickr album

2) I-70 Cave Springs-Fairgrounds project: Rebuilds the Cave Springs (225) and Zumbehi (227) interchanges as SPUIs, widens the WB I-70 to WB MO 94 movement (228) to 3 lanes, adds WB outer road between MO 94 and Fairgrounds (229A) interchanges. Current issue is that the ramp and frontage road signals are too closely spaced at the first two interchanges. Construction started late last year, will be done by mid 2024.
- Project Page
- Construction camera at the Cave Springs interchange
- Flickr album

SkyPesos

I was in St Charles earlier today, and got photos of two ongoing construction projects

MO 364/94/Muegge Interchange
New DDI replacing the partial cloverleaf interchange, providing full access between the three roads.
Project Page

New BGS for the MO 364 EB and Muegge Rd exit from MO 94 WB

MO 94 WB view of the interchange, with the WB offramp and EB onramp

MO 94 WB offramp

MO 94 EB onramp

Signage for the relocated ramp from MO 94 WB to Heritage Crossing. This ramp was relocated a bit west to allow for longer merging space between it and the MO 94 WB onramp from Muegge.

New BGS for the Muegge Rd exit from MO 94 EB

Offramp from MO 94 EB to Muegge

Onramp from Muegge to MO 364/94 WB

SkyPesos

I-70 Cave Springs Fairgrounds Project
New SPUIs at Cave Springs Rd (Exit 225) and Zumbehl Rd (Exit 227), along with some widenings.
Project Page

Cave Springs Rd overpass over I-70

I-70 EB Cave Springs Rd offramp

I-70 EB under Cave Springs Rd

I-70 EB Zumbehl Rd offramp

Zumbehl Rd overpass construction view from the I-70 WB offramp

Zumbehl Rd overpass over I-70

SkyPesos

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 19, 2023, 09:46:20 PM
I was in St Charles earlier today, and got photos of two ongoing construction projects

MO 364/94/Muegge Interchange
New DDI replacing the partial cloverleaf interchange, providing full access between the three roads.
Project Page

[imgs snipped]
This interchange opened sometime in the past week, so I was out there filming a drive through most of the ramp movements.
https://youtu.be/C17HqwN6WUk

wolfiefrick

Was driving through the new 364/94 interchange earlier today and noticed this monstrosity. Normally I don't take photos while driving, but I had to do a double take here:

I guess I understand the logic given that the mainline curves to the left, but it's still difficult to understand in the aggregate.

ilpt4u

Quote from: wolfiefrick on November 15, 2023, 10:39:49 PM
Was driving through the new 364/94 interchange earlier today and noticed this monstrosity. Normally I don't take photos while driving, but I had to do a double take here:

I guess I understand the logic given that the mainline curves to the left, but it's still difficult to understand in the aggregate.
That is a good nominee for "Redesign This!"

I'd leave Exit 12 as a separate panel, not part of the APL

edwaleni

I just finished driving the St Louis metro expressways and the metro east as well this weekend. I have driven in the area many, many times in the past, just my humble opinion.

I-44 with its legacy routing based on US-66 and such with its curves, up and downs from downtown to Ballas Road is dated. Its good road from a surface perspective, but too many blind or reduced sightlines for the speed limit.

The exit ramp from I-64/I-55 the Poplar Street Bridge to I-44 west is still 15mph and near jacknife in quality. The Poplar Street Bridge and those service ramps for all of those splits still needs to be examined. I-70 got moved north to the Musial/Veterans but they need to start the splitting of routes in Illinois before you cross the river.

Going east into Illinois off the MLK bridge to hit I-64 is confusing. I almost ended up on I-64 West. I will have to revisit the signage on Google to see if I was distracted or if its signed poorly. I did not end up in East St Louis, which is the third choice offered after crossing. As of now the MLK is 2 lanes to Illinois but only 1 lane to Missouri. It was recently re-decked, but standing in LaCledes landing, that bridge vibrates a large amount for all the cars crossing. It still uses 1950's era steel pylons for the approaches.

I-70 from Wentzville to I-270 is a mega lane madhouse. Large mix of trucks, cars, local and travelers. The bridge over the Missouri is maxed out on lanes and it is somewhat old, surprised it has held up so well considering how much it is used.

MO-364/MO-94 is nice and relatively a new road, but underutilized from what I saw. Times to Weldon Springs were excellent.

On the Illinois side I drove I-64 out to IL-4. Going south to Mascoutah and then west to Belleville on IL-161, I was shocked to see how much development has taken place. The roads here seem to keep up and there were a large amount of intersection upgrades. This is probably driven by the massive new Boeing plant going in off IL-4 at Mid-America Airport. It will build the new carrier based drone for the Navy.

I noticed a large amount of closed businesses along I-64 just before IL-158. Hopefully the new plant will change that.

I know IDOT killed the IL-158 Bypass Plan a few years ago, but if the eastward development continues they are definitely going to need something to get traffic around the Metro East, just farther east.

Revive 755

Quote from: edwaleni on November 26, 2023, 04:07:00 PM
I-44 with its legacy routing based on US-66 and such with its curves, up and downs from downtown to Ballas Road is dated.

I think you may have a typo or the wrong road - Ballas Road doesn't make it to I-44.

Quote from: edwaleni on November 26, 2023, 04:07:00 PMThe exit ramp from I-64/I-55 the Poplar Street Bridge to I-44 west is still 15mph and near jacknife in quality. The Poplar Street Bridge and those service ramps for all of those splits still needs to be examined. I-70 got moved north to the Musial/Veterans but they need to start the splitting of routes in Illinois before you cross the river.

I'm not sure there's anything more than can be done for the west end of the existing PSB.  There's probably some study out there that ruled out a better ramp design speed due to historic building impacts or other impacts from the project that widened the I-55 ramps.  Splitting the ramps in Illinois would run into issues with access from IL 3.

Maybe a better solution will come during the future studies for the PSB replacement.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 26, 2023, 09:27:01 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on November 26, 2023, 04:07:00 PM
I-44 with its legacy routing based on US-66 and such with its curves, up and downs from downtown to Ballas Road is dated.

I think you may have a typo or the wrong road - Ballas Road doesn't make it to I-44.

Quote from: edwaleni on November 26, 2023, 04:07:00 PMThe exit ramp from I-64/I-55 the Poplar Street Bridge to I-44 west is still 15mph and near jacknife in quality. The Poplar Street Bridge and those service ramps for all of those splits still needs to be examined. I-70 got moved north to the Musial/Veterans but they need to start the splitting of routes in Illinois before you cross the river.

I'm not sure there's anything more than can be done for the west end of the existing PSB.  There's probably some study out there that ruled out a better ramp design speed due to historic building impacts or other impacts from the project that widened the I-55 ramps.  Splitting the ramps in Illinois would run into issues with access from IL 3.

Maybe a better solution will come during the future studies for the PSB replacement.

Sorry, I meant Lindbergh, not Ballas. Ballas is up to the north, thanks for catching that.

As for the PSB replacement, I am all for it. I even remember when it opened!!

But the problem with *any* replacement was the fact that MoDOT was somewhat limited on how many acres they could get from the National Park Service which at the time was building out the Jefferson National Expansion complex. Even what they have today was controversial.

So either build a stacked double decked bridge and separate 64 from 55-44 traffic on the Illinois side with a flyover on the Missouri side, or build 2 bridges and use vacant land around 3rd and 4th Streets to complete the interchange. But that will probably require a rethink on the railroads coming through there.

One other thing that is gone. I think it was either the Spivey Building or one that has been recently torn down, there was a full grown tree growing on top of one of the abandoned tall buildings in East St Louis. I always thought it odd that here was a full grown maple or oak on top of a 10+ story building.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.