Businesses that are defunct that you are pissed about closing

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2015, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on April 18, 2022, 07:25:00 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on April 13, 2022, 09:55:22 PM
Phar-Mor - It was like a Walgreens on steroids.  So many health and beauty items, and a small music section in one corner among other things.  They didn't last very long in Nashville at all, with maybe two locations that were open less than a year.  Mismanagement was their downfall.

Phar-Mor was poised to be the next Wal-Mart, especially because they chose areas which didn't have them. The story goes that they expanded too quickly, but also funneling profits into a start-up minor league basketball league is one of the fastest ways to hemorrhage all sorts of resources.

In their heyday, they were stupid cheap and tough to resist if you had few brand loyalties.
What did them in was their shady accounting practices. Literally, external auditors would count the inventory at Store A and, in the middle of the night, they'd move some of that inventory to Store B before the auditors went to count the inventory at Store B, and so on.

Flint1979

I remember Phar-Mor. They used to have these snocaps my dad would always buy. There were two locations in Saginaw. One in the now demolished Fort Saginaw Mall and the other one where Hobby Lobby on TIttabawassee is.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 21, 2022, 08:23:58 PM
They used to have these snocaps my dad would always buy.

Best movie theater candy ever.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Flint1979

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.