News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lack of Pedestrian signals at signalized intersections?

Started by roadfro, December 05, 2016, 02:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

NC-102 at NC-11. Hopefully it will get some soon now that the new Southwest Bypass opened to traffic in November 2019, bypassing more of Ayden, Winterville, and Greenville.

This is what you can expect: https://goo.gl/maps/5C5GAbQ2DsLW4iqU6

Amtrakprod

IMO all intersections should have pedestrian signals and Leading pedestrian intervals.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

tradephoric

Quote from: Amtrakprod on February 24, 2022, 09:30:12 AM
IMO all intersections should have pedestrian signals and Leading pedestrian intervals.

iPhone

It's all or nothing with you huh.  Never or always are common words in your vocabulary!

Amtrakprod

Quote from: tradephoric on February 24, 2022, 10:45:32 AM

iPhone

It's all or nothing with you huh.  Never or always are common words in your vocabulary!
Maybe so ! LPIs have been found to reduce pedestrian crashes by 60%, and where there are traffic signals, there probably are pedestrians.

I would say there are some things I'm not always for or against. Like HAWK signals, I'm still split!

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

US 89

Quote from: Amtrakprod on February 24, 2022, 10:08:40 PM
where there are traffic signals, there probably are pedestrians.

What if pedestrian traffic is on a parallel multi-use trail with a grade separation, or one or both of the roads in question is an expressway with no driveways at all? See this light for an example of both - putting ped signals in there is a waste of everybody's time and money.

Hobart

iPhone

Maybe so ! LPIs have been found to reduce pedestrian crashes by 60%, and where there are traffic signals, there probably are pedestrians.

I would say there are some things I'm not always for or against. Like HAWK signals, I'm still split!

iPhone

So you're a proponent of putting LPI's and stuff on the many roads with signals that lack things such as sidewalks? Like this example in Muscatine, Iowa?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3920353,-91.088172,3a,15y,167.25h,93.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syB4OD3TFD5q4TNaKsQ0coQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DyB4OD3TFD5q4TNaKsQ0coQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D62.20662%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Like, yeah, there's a lot of truck traffic, but there's literally no way for people to get to the intersection to take advantage of those features without walking alongside an expressway for at least half a mile.

Like, I'm sorry, but it just seems a little bit foolish to spend the money on a facility pedestrians can't even get to.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Hobart on February 25, 2022, 10:33:19 PM

iPhone

iPhone

So you're a proponent of putting LPI's and stuff on the many roads with signals that lack things such as sidewalks? Like this example in Muscatine, Iowa?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3920353,-91.088172,3a,15y,167.25h,93.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syB4OD3TFD5q4TNaKsQ0coQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DyB4OD3TFD5q4TNaKsQ0coQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D62.20662%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Like, yeah, there's a lot of truck traffic, but there's literally no way for people to get to the intersection to take advantage of those features without walking alongside an expressway for at least half a mile.

Like, I'm sorry, but it just seems a little bit foolish to spend the money on a facility pedestrians can't even get to.
Maybe there should be more sidewalks then ? I could see someone wanting to walk there, and pedestrian signals just seem like an easy yes to me, basically anywhere. However, I don't practice engineering in places like that, so I guess if I could rephrase, almost all intersections need pedestrian signals and LPIs.

I still think a few of those examples could use them. And there are many multi lane roads between shopping centers that lack crosswalks with traffic signals, and that should change.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.