AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Gilcrease Turnpike extension plans approved by Oklahoma Transportation Commissio  (Read 13495 times)

edwaleni

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 08:19:27 PM

I couldn't find any evidence of construction between US-412 North to 31st Street North.

Maybe this is why they needed the money from the Feds.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 03:23:48 AM

I couldn't find any evidence of construction between US-412 North to 31st Street North.

This section wasn't included in the Driving Forward program that funded the first segment. There is a new larger initiative that is underway which will fund this section.

will_e_777

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 11:15:38 PM

I remember when that two lane section between 51st and 41st opened the early 90s.  It's certainly taken long enough.  I even knew a couple of people that had some of their land purchased for it back in like 1994.

Just looking at the photos, is 51st Street going over the turnpike?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:27:21 PM by will_e_777 »
Rocky Mountain man.

paulthemapguy

• nobody asked me

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 10:32:24 PM

Make the Muskogee Turnpike and Sand Springs Expressway into Interstate 46! Do it you cowards!  Then if the Gilcrease makes a nice detour around Tulsa to the north, make it I-646 or something of that nature (to avoid confusion with 244, 444).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My Shield Gallery, Sorted https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
Source Photos https://flic.kr/s/aHskFU42pF
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 345/424. Only 79 route markers remain!

chays

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 03:01:19 PM

This section wasn't included in the Driving Forward program that funded the first segment. There is a new larger initiative that is underway which will fund this section.
So is my understanding correct, the only section of the Gilcrease Turnpike extension to be completed in 2022 is the part SOUTH of US 412? Is there a timeline for the part NORTH of US 412?

yakra

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 05:09:50 AM

I see no mention of it in the 8-year plan.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

edwaleni

So is my understanding correct, the only section of the Gilcrease Turnpike extension to be completed in 2022 is the part SOUTH of US 412? Is there a timeline for the part NORTH of US 412?

The Gilcrease Bridge over US-412 is a full size overpass, but it appears to only have 2 ramps, both on the east side.

I did see some utility relocation and elevation on Edison Str and 57th W, which shows where it will come north (someday).

But I don't see *any* work through Harlow Creek up to W 31st N.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:48:11 PM by edwaleni »

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 10:21:11 PM

Since there have been a number of tollways given state highway designations with a three in the one-hundreds place (301, 312, 351, 364, 375), I agree with the proposed designation of OK 344 for the Gilcrease Turnpike, although it could have been OK 311 (the H.E. Bailey Turnpike Norman Spur should become OK 304 or OK 309, and if the Kickapoo Turnpike does not become Interstate 240 it should be OK 340). Now if Google Maps could only show OK 301, OK 312 and OK 375 along their recently-designated routes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:29:48 PM by The Ghostbuster »

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 03:46:15 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards

The H.E. Bailey spur was designated as an extension of OK-4 (which makes sense, since OK-4 previously ended at the western end of the Bailey spur). It is signed as such from I-44 and OK-76 but not on the mainline yet.

I wish we'd steal the old Florida practice of printing the state outline in red on toll roads.

bugo

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 08:18:16 PM
    • No Frills Blog

I wonder if the part between US 412 and the Tisdale Parkway is going to be built by the state or by local authorities. The portion of the Gilcrease in between the Tisdale and US 75 is a city street. So, going clockwise, the road will be maintained by the OTA from I-44 to US 412, (unknown) from US 412 to the Tisdale, the City of Tulsa from the Tisdale to US 75 and ODOT from US 75 to I-244. I wonder if the whole thing will eventually be OK 344 and OK 11 truncated or rerouted, possibly along the Tisdale.

rte66man

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 07:04:59 AM

I remember when that two lane section between 51st and 41st opened the early 90s.  It's certainly taken long enough.  I even knew a couple of people that had some of their land purchased for it back in like 1994.

Just looking at the photos, is 51st Street going over the turnpike?

Yes.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

skluth

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 09:32:45 PM

Apparently some locals didn't realize the short section that was already built will be tolled despite the toll being part of the original announcement (see OP).
I'm not local so I have no idea if this is a communication failure, or people not paying attention and just wanting something to be true.

The Ghostbuster

If someone can get pictures of these “alleged” new toll booths, they would be much appreciated.

edwaleni

If someone can get pictures of these “alleged” new toll booths, they would be much appreciated.

You mean these eToll gantries being installed at 46th Street?

debaterthatchases

• Last Login: April 24, 2022, 10:48:53 PM

The new OK-344 assurance markers are now up on the northbound leg that's open rn.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNVUQjBzErLJm67A7
Miles F.

Scott5114

The new OK-344 assurance markers are now up on the northbound leg that's open rn.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HNVUQjBzErLJm67A7

Cool, thanks for sharing!

yakra

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 05:09:50 AM

An OK344 marker can also be seen at 0:33 of the video at
https://ktul.com/news/local/berryhill-prepares-to-fight-to-eliminate-toll-between-west-41st-and-51st

...So, it's open & signed 344 between where & where exactly?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 02:37:32 AM

https://ktul.com/news/local/berryhill-prepares-to-fight-to-eliminate-toll-between-west-41st-and-51st

People in the Berryhill area of Tusla want the tolls to be eliminated between the 41st and 51st street interchanges, but it's highly unlikely that's going to happen since the OTA owns the road.

Plutonic Panda

They could work with the city and counties to build a new arterial road. Would that not solve the issue?

Scott5114

They could work with the city and counties to build a new arterial road. Would that not solve the issue?

A frontage road, perhaps, a la Beltway 8?

Plutonic Panda

A frontage road, perhaps, a la Beltway 8?
Yeah I should have said frontage road.

swake

• Last Login: Today at 02:11:46 AM

It's a dumb argument. 49th W Ave is less than half a mile to the east of the turnpike and runs the parallel to the highway through west Tulsa/Berryhill. It's an unimproved arterial that if traffic dictates can be widened, except for the fact it doesn't have the nearly the traffic load needed to be widened now and with the highway it will carry even less traffic.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:49:08 AM

I honestly don’t see the issue with just not collecting tolls between those two exits. It’s a short distance. The vast majority of traffic on the freeway will continue to be through traffic and unaffected - they’re still paying.

It would satisfy the locals, not result in much loss - to the point it might just be negligible, and not require the city to have to improve parallel routes or construct a new frontage road.

The Ghostbuster

The OK 344 designation was not listed along the Gilcrease Turnpike on the 2023 edition of the Rand McNally Road Atlas. I guess it is too soon for that. Maybe the 2024 edition will show it as OK 344.

bugo

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 08:18:16 PM
    • No Frills Blog

This was really a shitty thing to do. Take a road that was a city street and build a turnpike on top of it. They should have built a frontage road. I generally support the OTA, but this is sorry. It was also shitty for the City of Tulsa or whoever owned that road to give it to the OTA without building a free alternative. And 49th is not a practical alternative. First of all, it doesn't have an intersection with the Gilcrease, and second, it isn't built to handle the amount of traffic it will get. It is a narrow 40 MPH road through an industrial area I used to use the Gilcrease that is being tolled on my commute, and it would have cost me 5 minutes if I had to avoid that stretch of highway. You shouldn't have to shunpike to drive on a road that was free for decades.

I think the fact that they are taking a free road and tolling is is why everybody is upset, and I don't blame them.

The imagery at https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/ shows the road under construction all the way to US 64. Google Maps' imagery is older and doesn't show the construction.

Here's a screen cap showing the OK 344 shield. I noticed there was not a north or a south directional sign above the OK 344 shield. It looks like it was taken on the part of the current Gilcrease Expressway between 41st and 51st, the part that is going to be tolled.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 02:29:32 PM by bugo »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.