News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 03:50:33 PM

Further back Blockbuster used to carry more obscure stuff.  That's more or less how I originally binged most monster, horror and slasher movies.
How much further back?  I don't remember a time when Blockbuster wasn't insisting on only carrying "family-friend" [read: no homos] movies.
[/quote]

That's a term I've not seen used in years.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on May 08, 2022, 10:09:14 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 03:50:33 PM
How much further back?  I don't remember a time when Blockbuster wasn't insisting on only carrying "family-friend" [read: no homos] movies.
That's a term I've not seen used in years.
Should have been "family-friendly," oops.

D-Dey65

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 04, 2022, 02:04:58 PMI don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.
It was nice having Blockbuster around if I wanted to watch a particular movie and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in the mail from Netflix, but said movie had to be pretty mainstream in order for Blockbuster to carry it.
Anyone remember the scene from "Ghost World," where Enid and Rebecca are in that video store struggling to find a movie they want to watch, and then they cut to that scene were another customer is trying to find. "8 1/2" but the store offers him "9 1/2 Weeks?"

abefroman329

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 09, 2022, 08:53:21 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 04, 2022, 02:04:58 PMI don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.
It was nice having Blockbuster around if I wanted to watch a particular movie and didn't want to have to wait for it to come in the mail from Netflix, but said movie had to be pretty mainstream in order for Blockbuster to carry it.
Anyone remember the scene from "Ghost World," where Enid and Rebecca are in that video store struggling to find a movie they want to watch, and then they cut to that scene were another customer is trying to find. "8 1/2" but the store offers him "9 1/2 Weeks?"
Haven't seen it, sorry.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: kkt on May 04, 2022, 02:04:58 PM
I don't mind Blockbuster going away at all.  I used to rent movies pretty often.  But Blockbuster liked to substitute PG cut versions of R films without even any notice on the box.  Maybe some parents with teen kids who are gonna watch the movie at home want that... but you've gotta tell people what they're paying for.

I haven't heard of that, but I have heard of independent stores in Utah that illegally pirated and created clean versions of R-rated movies.  What Blockbuster did was demand a cut version of Requiem For a Dream (2000).  It went out to theaters as unrated because it exceeded the content allowed for an R-rating, but the cut version went to video stores that wanted it, with "edited version" on the box.  Later that version clogged up the for-sale used bin.  Anyone interested in the movie wouldn't want the cut version anyway.  Of course, Blockbuster had no problem stocking unrated episodes of The Sopranos.  Target had no problem displaying unrated versions of Saw with its gross cover art.

thenetwork

You are Transformco,...You are running out of big box Sears and Kmart stores to close...But previously, you said the "independently owned" Sears Hometown stores will stay around...what can you do???

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-world/sears-store-closings-2022-full-list-hometown-locations/507-e9194dc5-c0c8-444b-9fa0-ee4301bf0f9a

The nearest, and only Sears Hometown I am aware of in my neck of the woods is in Montrose, CO....for now!

DenverBrian

Sears/Kmart goes out not with a bang, but with an incredibly long, sustained echo over years.

jp the roadgeek

Bump to announce Sears will be closing its last full service location in NY state.  The Newburgh store will close 10/16.
https://hudsonvalleypost.com/popular-store-closing-last-hudson-valley-location-nearly-50-years/
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

D-Dey65

Quote from: thenetwork on June 02, 2022, 11:00:41 AM
You are Transformco,...You are running out of big box Sears and Kmart stores to close...But previously, you said the "independently owned" Sears Hometown stores will stay around...what can you do???

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-world/sears-store-closings-2022-full-list-hometown-locations/507-e9194dc5-c0c8-444b-9fa0-ee4301bf0f9a

The nearest, and only Sears Hometown I am aware of in my neck of the woods is in Montrose, CO....for now!
In my county, the "Hometown Store" closed before the main Sears store.

And when the main Sears store was closing, the only thing I found worth buying was some toy truck, that I immediately donated to the nearest Toys for Tots drop-off area.

Avalanchez71

So what Sears stores are left?  What K-Mart stores are left?

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Avalanchez71

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

catch22

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 24, 2022, 11:07:56 PM
So what Sears stores are left?  What K-Mart stores are left?

13 and 9 respectively, according to this list that someone on Reddit manages:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R4W1eqCbpmThan0idnfZL3-dY-4qAQ2bUNqDjNYqSMw/edit

ErmineNotyours

I went to the Westfield Shoppingtown Southcenter Sears location recently.  That location is just a few decades old because it took over the Frederick & Nelson location in the early 1990s, when the nearby Renton Sears closed for the building of a Fred Meyer.  The main floor still looks great, but the second floor is sparse, as if the liquidation sale has already begun.  (Part of the mall opens directly to the second floor.)  The third floor was closed off.  Also, Sears closes an hour before the rest of the mall.

On the same day I paid a visit to the J. C. Penny's in the mall.  The chain opened a toy department after Toys 'R' Us closed, and it has some odd selection.  The stuffed animal section as lots of Tigger, Piglet and Bullseye (from Toy Story) and that's it.

thenetwork

For those of you who thought those "independently owned" Sears Hometown stores weren't going anywhere...

...think again!!!

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2023/01/sears-hometown-is-closing-all-of-its-115-stores-sears-appliances-mattresses-store-in-cumberland-county-to-remain-open.html

The Sears Hometown store in Montrose, CO was about the last trace of Sears/Kmart in Colorado.  They recently remodeled the exterior (and outdoor sign) of their store., and now the independent owner gets screwed.  I feel sorry fir them and not Ol' Eddie Lampert.

kkt

Eddie's doing just fine and doesn't need any sympathy.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on January 09, 2023, 12:51:19 AM
Eddie's doing just fine and doesn't need any sympathy.

But he's not the next Warren Buffett.  I'm sure not living up to that hype and being known as "hedge fund guy"  is quite the kick groin. 

roadman65

Sears. Where America Shopped.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

I see the last Sears Hometown Store in Michigan is closing. It's located in Fenton.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Pink Jazz

Quote from: SectorZ on April 17, 2023, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2023, 06:26:49 PM
https://www.the-sun.com/money/7878570/jcpenney-rival-closes-final-locations-permanently-department-store/

That is an odd-ass headline, even by Sun standards.  :-D

JCPenney I don't think even considers Sears their main rival anymore and hasn't for years. I think they view Kohl's as their main competitor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.