News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Iowa Notes

Started by paulthemapguy, March 23, 2018, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 17, 2021, 01:15:06 PM
Multiple articles online indicating the speed cameras on I-80 at the Iowa end of the Mississippi River Bridge will start issuing tickets March 4.

https://www.kwqc.com/2021/01/06/new-speed-cameras-go-live-in-leclaire/

Oh, frickety frack. I may have gotten dinged by this last week when I was passing by. I might be okay if there's a 12 mph leeway, but maybe not. I do remember i was trying to get around someone, so maybe i was going faster than i otherwise would. Frickety frack.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

triplemultiplex

It's okay to say fuck.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Wonder if they will do it on 280.
I found a new 2021-22 map at a rest area last week.It did not have the new US 30 construction .

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 14, 2021, 04:55:59 PM
It's okay to say fuck.
Not according to Freeway Jim lol. I got roasted in that group for daring to use the word shit. No warning and post was deleted with zero reason why until I asked publicly and I was told no profanity. I dared to question the logic and was met with the classic "start your own group."  The amount of good ol boys who wouldn't dare kiss their momma with my mouth was hilarious. Needless to say I opted to leave that group though I do miss it.

Regarding the speed cameras, I hope Iowa follows other states like Arizona and bans automated traffic enforcement. If the 85 percentile is higher than the speed limit then raise the limit; otherwise if drivers are being crazy increase visible patrols.

Rothman

Leaving a group you found valuable just because you couldn't keep it clean.  Interesting priorities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on June 14, 2021, 06:54:49 PM
Leaving a group you found valuable just because you couldn't keep it clean.  Interesting priorities.
It's called principle. The way it was handled was what bothered me. I would have been more than happy to keep it clean but my perceived value of the group didn't outweighed my frustrations over the issue so fuck it. Plenty of other groups like this forum right here.

Revive 755

Quote from: 3467 on June 14, 2021, 05:18:20 PM
Wonder if they will do it on 280.

One of the online news articles regarding the once-again failed attempt to ban or at least severely limit speed cameras in Iowa this year indicated Davenport was not in favor of having them on interstates (not that this means Davenport won't change their mind).

At least for me, the increasing number of speed cameras does not encourage trips to Iowa.  Particularly when smaller towns like Le Claire and Prairie City (which supposedly now has one on IA 163) are installing them on main roads that bypass them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 14, 2021, 06:58:29 PM
It's called principle. The way it was handled was what bothered me. I would have been more than happy to keep it clean but my perceived value of the group didn't outweighed my frustrations over the issue so fuck it. Plenty of other groups like this forum right here.

Jim being a douche to people was ultimately why I curtailed my involvement/left that group as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 15, 2021, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 14, 2021, 06:58:29 PM

Jim being a douche to people was ultimately why I curtailed my involvement/left that group as well.
The weird thing was we talked back and forth several times over PM and he I didn't have an issue up with him until that point. After that he treated me like someone who just thought he could run the group, acted like we've never spoke, and that I've been some loud mouth, vulgar poster. Fact is, I posted dozens if not over 50 times and that was the first time I used profanity.

But yeah I've seen a couple other instances of Jim interacting with people there and thought yikes.

JoePCool14

(Completely unrelated to what was previously going on in this thread)

I was in Dubuque this weekend while visiting college and noticed that all the IA-32 signs are gone from the NW Arterial. Does anyone know what happened? Did they remove the designation from the road?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

74/171FAN

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 25, 2021, 10:53:08 AM

I was in Dubuque this weekend while visiting college and noticed that all the IA-32 signs are gone from the NW Arterial. Does anyone know what happened? Did they remove the designation from the road?

Yes, the designation was removed.  It is detailed via a link from the Wikipedia article.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 25, 2021, 11:25:00 AM

Yes, the designation was removed.  It is detailed via a link from the Wikipedia article.

Thanks for sharing that. I feel like that was a poor decision to transfer it over. That road is one of the very few major roads in the area and to transfer it to local control does not seem to make sense to me. Is Iowa that strapped for cash?

sparker

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 25, 2021, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 25, 2021, 11:25:00 AM

Thanks for sharing that. I feel like that was a poor decision to transfer it over. That road is one of the very few major roads in the area and to transfer it to local control does not seem to make sense to me. Is Iowa that strapped for cash?

Since US 52 has been realigned over US 20 to take advantage of the SW bypass, does IA 3 remain signed all the way through Dubuque or has it been relinquished within city limits?  If the former, that would make the deletion of IA 32 a less than obvious move, since it would make shunting IA 3 traffic down to US 20 (business?) to avoid downtown somewhat more straightforward.

JoePCool14

Quote from: sparker on July 25, 2021, 03:30:08 PM
Since US 52 has been realigned over US 20 to take advantage of the SW bypass, does IA 3 remain signed all the way through Dubuque or has it been relinquished within city limits?  If the former, that would make the deletion of IA 32 a less than obvious move, since it would make shunting IA 3 traffic down to US 20 (business?) to avoid downtown somewhat more straightforward.

I didn't go downtown on this most recent trip, but what I can say is that IA-3 was removed from all BGS signage on US-20 and US-151. From what I remember from earlier this year though, IA-3 is gone from Dubuque.

SSOWorld

Correct.

IA 3's east terminus was moved to NW Arterial/W John Deere Road.

This is a by-product of IowaDOT's policy regarding give-and-take.  Dubuque built the southwest arterial and handed it over to the state.  In return, the state handed the northwest arterial to Dubuque (effectively removing IA-32) and after rerouting 52 to the new road, the portion of IA-3 in the city (removing that designation from that segment).
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 26, 2021, 07:22:01 AM
Correct.

This is a by-product of IowaDOT's policy regarding give-and-take.  Dubuque built the southwest arterial and handed it over to the state.  In return, the state handed the northwest arterial to Dubuque (effectively removing IA-32) and after rerouting 52 to the new road, the portion of IA-3 in the city (removing that designation from that segment).

So IA-3 just ends at... nothing then. I really wish these state DOTs (looking at Indiana in particular) would implement policies to keep designations even if the city has to maintain the road. If it makes sense to be part of a cohesive route, then it should remain a part of the cohesive route.

sparker

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 26, 2021, 10:42:27 AM
Correct.

So IA-3 just ends at... nothing then. I really wish these state DOTs (looking at Indiana in particular) would implement policies to keep designations even if the city has to maintain the road. If it makes sense to be part of a cohesive route, then it should remain a part of the cohesive route.

So it's pretty safe to assume that IA doesn't have a through-city continuity program (like commonly found in New England) that assures route signage despite local facility ownership?  That's functionally no better than out here in CA, where signage post-route relinquishment is more or less left to chance -- whether the local jurisdiction maintains signage (although technically/legally supposed to do so) is hit-or-miss; since Caltrans tends not to do enforcement, never mind a relatively strict variation of that!  So routes are left hanging in a similar fashion to what's occurring in Dubuque!  Sign (or lack thereof) of the time, I suppose.

SSOWorld

Quote from: sparker on July 26, 2021, 01:46:10 PM
Correct.

So it's pretty safe to assume that IA doesn't have a through-city continuity program (like commonly found in New England) that assures route signage despite local facility ownership?  That's functionally no better than out here in CA, where signage post-route relinquishment is more or less left to chance -- whether the local jurisdiction maintains signage (although technically/legally supposed to do so) is hit-or-miss; since Caltrans tends not to do enforcement, never mind a relatively strict variation of that!  So routes are left hanging in a similar fashion to what's occurring in Dubuque!  Sign (or lack thereof) of the time, I suppose.
Untrue.  There are still cities that have routes going through it.  Iowa has a completely different policy from Indiana.  See US 6.  It's slowly being shifted onto I-80 (rural and urban)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Great Lakes Roads

Here's a progress update on the I-74 bridge project in the Quad Cities as of July 2021.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 26, 2021, 06:50:05 PM
Correct.

Untrue.  There are still cities that have routes going through it.  Iowa has a completely different policy from Indiana.  See US 6.  It's slowly being shifted onto I-80 (rural and urban)

So it's becoming a useless concurrency then. Okay.

As for IA-3 and IA-32 in Dubuque, those routes have had their markers scrubbed. Like I said, the only reason I asked my post was because I couldn't find any for IA-32 on my most recent trip. I saw them still up as recently as February? Or March? Something...

And yes, Iowa's policies =/= Indiana's policies. But this feels a lot like something InDOT would do.

sparker

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 26, 2021, 06:50:05 PM
Correct.

Question: are the routes through other IA cities under state ownership/maintenance or owned by the city itself?  If the former, then any policies regarding relinquished routes are moot; if the latter, it indicates that the cities can elect to sign routes as they see fit -- but most choose to maintain continuity -- especially if it means more road-related revenue.  Dubuque is probably simply attempting to discourage through traffic on the former US 52/IA 3 routing.   

iowahighways

Quote from: sparker on July 27, 2021, 03:51:08 AM
Question: are the routes through other IA cities under state ownership/maintenance or owned by the city itself?  If the former, then any policies regarding relinquished routes are moot; if the latter, it indicates that the cities can elect to sign routes as they see fit -- but most choose to maintain continuity -- especially if it means more road-related revenue.  Dubuque is probably simply attempting to discourage through traffic on the former US 52/IA 3 routing.   

They’re owned by the state. As another example, the city of Council Bluffs wanted to reconstruct West Broadway between I-29 and downtown, but the state owned it as part of US 6, so the road was transferred to the city and US 6 rerouted.

Business routes, on the other hand, don’t have to be state-maintained.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

74/171FAN

KITV:  Ramp from westbound U.S. 20 to northbound I-29 in Sioux City to close Monday (surprised that this thread has not had an update recently)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Revive 755

JREwing78

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 29, 2022, 10:46:40 PM
* One public notice for corridor preservation for a future US 151 interchange at Springville https://www.news.iowadot.gov/pim/2022/07/corridor-preservation-for-a-proposed-new-interchange-at-us-151-and-linn-county-road-x-20-intersectio.html

This has the preferred interchange design: https://iowadot.gov/ole/nepaprojects/projects/us51/20181213_020_EA.pdf. Basically, an interchange at X20 and RIRO at a relocated O'Brien Ln/Wendling Ln intersection.

It makes no sense to me to reroute O'Brien Ln's connection to US-151. I'd cut it off at the last house before US-151, then build a connector east to X20. Loaded trucks from the quarry have no business pulling out from an at-grade intersection directly into 65 mph traffic. I'd also close off Wendling Ln and make quarry traffic backtrack to X20, though I suspect locals would not be in favor of that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.