In no particular order, who are the five most famous people you've met?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, September 21, 2019, 01:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsinco

Stevie Wonder
Willie Nelson
Dave Chappelle
Madelaine Albright
Payton Manning

I was a limo driver for several years. These probably aren't ALL in the group of most famous I've met, but all memorable to me. We had contracts for lots of musicians and sports clientele and other high profile customers.
3 million miles and counting

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on July 20, 2022, 09:16:10 PM
Mike Huckabee
Alex Rodriguez
Beto O'Rourke
Nolan Ryan
Troy Aikman

I'm sure there are others worthy of cracking the top five, but here you go.

I had my list done and saw his. I have met all of his except Beto.

George W Bush (in a one-on-one)
George H.W. Bush
Vinnie Abbott
Don Henley
Mike Huckabee (been to his house in the late 1980's.)

Have met every Texas governor since Briscoe. Every Texas U.S. Senator since Tower EXCEPT Cruz.  Talked to Yogi Berra, Y.A. Tittle, and Chuck Norris in the grocery store.  My kids played soccer with Billy Sims' kids in U-10. Deion Sanders was at my work during a commercial shoot that went really slow.  Dennis Rodman came to my HS to play basketball when he was a freshman. (SOC JV beat our Varsity).
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

hbelkins

Anyone ever meet famous people in seemingly random or odd places?

I can't remember the actress' name, but she was in "Perfect Strangers" and was from Cumberland, Md. Ran into her at a Sheetz there on a Christmas night back in the early 1990s.

Ran into Jack Givens (former UK and NBA basketball player who was the MVP of the 1978 NCAA championship game) at the former SuperAmerica store in Jackson, Ky., back in the late '80s or early '90s.

I didn't meet him, but a number of my friends met Drew Carey when he was on a motorcycle ride through rural America and passed through Lee and Owsley counties. He caused quite a stir when he stopped for gas at the Shell in Beattyville, Ky.

A now-deceased buddy of mine ran into Gimel Martinez (former UK basketball player) at the airport in Myrtle Beach years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on July 28, 2022, 10:16:49 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw Jeffrey Tambor once at a local Wendy's.

I've seen Cris Collinsworth several times.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kirbykart

Not me, but my uncle met the actress Kristen Johnston in Miami.

Molandfreak

Prince
Steve Smith (Red Green)
Amy Klobuchar (in an elevator!)
Gary Paulsen
Paul Tibbets
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

MATraveler128

Never met anyone famous, but I have an aunt who is good friends with Carl Yazstremski of the Red Sox.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Sctvhound

For me in Charleston, SC...

Charles Gibson (former GMA and ABC World News anchor, at a GMA live show maybe 20 years ago)
Alex Rodriguez (got his autograph when he did a minor league rehab stint for local team, signed my Yankees visor)
Joe Riley (Mayor of Charleston for 40 years, goes to same church I do, sat near him, also avid baseball fan, minor league stadium in Charleston named after him)
Buck Martinez (former MLB catcher and Blue Jays TV announcer, met him at spring training in Dunedin, FL about a decade ago)
John Kresse (5th winningest coach by winning percentage in college hoops at College of Charleston, took coaching class with him in college)

Also... Frank Abagnale, met him at my high school maybe 6-7 years ago (came to do a talk with my mom's class).

Talking about Bill Murray (who almost everyone in Charleston seems to have an interaction with), one time he spilled his beer right in front of my seat at a RiverDogs game. Also seen him multiple times at local sporting events, taken his picture.

Talking about random folks I've met at random places... met Mary Roush, the current West Virginia Mountaineer mascot, at a local soccer game. Youngest and only 3rd female to do it.

SM-G998U

1995hoo

John Riggins brought his kids to my brother's Eagle Scout service project back in 1991. The project took place at the local elementary school's fair and Riggins lived in the area.

Former Redskins player Virgil Seay worked as a substitute gym teacher one day at my junior high school when I was in seventh grade. He signed autographs for everyone.

Then-Mayor Marion Barry sat down next to me at the counter at Ben's Chili Bowl in DC once.

Capitals owner Ted Leonsis had the table next to our family at two different restaurants on two different occasions.

Edited to add: I ran into Rod Rosenstein on the street in DC once. What impressed me was that he recognized me and remembered who I was, but perhaps it was just that some people say I resemble my father and he knew my father quite well from work.

Less random: Former Capitals defenseman Mark Tinordi was in the seat next to me at a Caps game maybe 16 years ago (perhaps random that he was in the stands, but not so random that he would be attending an NHL game). Former Redskins defensive tackle Perry Brooks was on the same flight as I was once, but that wasn't random because his son, Ahmad Brooks, played for the UVA football team at the time and the flight was a flight out of Boise, where the team had just played in a bowl game. It did seem bizarre to the people around me, none of whom I knew, that this big black man wearing a Super Bowl ring recognized me and said hello when he was getting onto the plane (I was in first class, Perry was in coach) until I told them who he was and said we had been consuming much beer at the hotel bar the night before.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

It wasn't me, but on a soccer board I read a story from a ref who had David Beckham on the sideline at a game, watching his kid play. That could make some calls interesting, to say the least.

dvferyance

Bill Gothard (unfortunately)
Scott Walker
Jim Sensenbrenner
John Schlitt
Bill Wegman

dlsterner

I was in a strip club once (don't judge) when Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert popped in for a while.  It was actually kind of a scuzzy place as opposed to a "high end" club.  Later that night one of the strippers told me that they often come by when in town.

(Edited:  Roger, not Robert.  My fingers must have had a mind of their own)

Quote from: dlsterner on September 22, 2019, 12:38:20 AM
Assuming "met" involves at least a handshake and/or a few words exchanged.  So no using sporting events nor concerts, unless the prior condition happened.

In no particular order:

Jimmy Carter (post-presidency, about 10-15 years ago)
William Donald Schaefer (former Mayor of Baltimore and former Governor of Maryland)
Larry Hogan (current Governor of Maryland)
Boog Powell (former 1B for the Baltimore Orioles, 1970 AL MVP)
Robert Packwood (former US Senator from Oregon)

From my original reply - I actually met Senator Packwood at a duplicate bridge tournament.  Turns out he is an avid player  Played seven hands against him and his partner, chatted a bit between hands.  I did not ask him about his reasons for leaving the Senate.

Scott5114

Quote from: dlsterner on July 29, 2022, 08:42:35 PM

I was in a strip club once (don't judge) when Gene Siskel and Robert Ebert popped in for a while.  It was actually kind of a scuzzy place as opposed to a "high end" club.  Later that night one of the strippers told me that they often come by when in town.

I have to ask–did you see any thumbs up or down being awarded to the performance?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2022, 09:18:39 PM

I was in a strip club once (don't judge) when Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert popped in for a while.  It was actually kind of a scuzzy place as opposed to a "high end" club.  Later that night one of the strippers told me that they often come by when in town.

I have to ask–did you see any thumbs up or down being awarded to the performance?

Ya think I was looking at them?    :bigass:

kkt

(Edited:  Roger, not Robert.  My fingers must have had a mind of their own)

Fingers with a mind of their own is not a good thing at a strip club  ;)

jakeroot

jmd41280

Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson - I met him backstage after his "The Cosmic Perspective" lecture in Pittsburgh. Got my picture taken backstage with him. Very nice and engaging.

Tom Wolf - Current Governor of PA. I met him at my last job. I was working in a community mental health/substance abuse treatment facility and he came there to do a press conference where he announced that our facility had received a grant to further address the opioid crisis. It was a brief meeting, but I remember him comparing our beards.

Queensryche - I flew out to Seattle in 2006 to see Queensryche do a series of shows that they ended up filming for a concert DVD (Mindcrime at the Moore). I attended a charity brunch at the Edgewater Hotel that the band had set up. Got to meet all 5 members of the band and get photos taken w/ each of them.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

jakeroot

Quote from: jmd41280 on August 01, 2022, 10:20:30 PM
Queensryche - I flew out to Seattle in 2006 to see Queensryche do a series of shows that they ended up filming for a concert DVD (Mindcrime at the Moore). I attended a charity brunch at the Edgewater Hotel that the band had set up. Got to meet all 5 members of the band and get photos taken w/ each of them.

Very jealous! Would love to just see Queensryche ... being able to meet them would be on another level.

formulanone

I sat next to Reggie Givens on a flight to Atlanta back in 2015. Weather delays an ATL meant we waited on the ground for two hours before taking off, so he told me he was a fitness trainer, and we talked about work and family (it was near the end of the year). I didn't actually know who he was at the time, but he was quite affable and friendly despite the major flight delays we were all incurring.

That ends my Ted talk.

bing101

John Garamendi-(Member of US Congress, When I seen him directly He was a Lieutenant Governor for California) During my time at college in Sacramento.

Leland Yee-During his time as a State Senator of California during an event in San Francisco.

All Others are while heading to the Oakland Coliseum in the 1990's to see an A's game with Family.

Mark McGuire
Jose Canseco
Jason Giambi

andrepoiy

I have finally met my first celebrity a few days ago, and it's Canadian comedian Russell Peters. Have a selfie with him!

JayhawkCO

Thought of a few more on my list:

Melinda Gates
The band Filter
The band Lit
Peyton Manning
Former Colorado Senator Corey Gardner
Terrell Davis
Kerri Strug
Most of the 2016 Kansas City Royals
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock
Gary Zimmerman (NFL Hall of Famer)
Roy Williams
Kirk Hinrich

dlsterner

Assuming "met" involves at least a handshake and/or a few words exchanged.  So no using sporting events nor concerts, unless the prior condition happened.

In no particular order:

William Donald Schaefer (former Mayor of Baltimore and former Governor of Maryland)

Updating ...  I met William Shatner recently, so he definitely enters the "top five".

If I am going to follow the letter of the subject, I guess I have to prune my original list by one to get back down to five.  Maybe Schaefer, since despite being well known in Maryland, probably not that well known outside.  Plus he's the only one on my list that is deceased.  Or maybe Packwood, probably the least well known in that list, and he was a bit of a sleaze as well.

XamotCGC

I can't remember the actress' name, but she was in "Perfect Strangers" and was from Cumberland, Md. Ran into her at a Sheetz there on a Christmas night back in the early 1990s.

Ran into Jack Givens (former UK and NBA basketball player who was the MVP of the 1978 NCAA championship game) at the former SuperAmerica store in Jackson, Ky., back in the late '80s or early '90s.

I didn't meet him, but a number of my friends met Drew Carey when he was on a motorcycle ride through rural America and passed through Lee and Owsley counties. He caused quite a stir when he stopped for gas at the Shell in Beattyville, Ky.

A now-deceased buddy of mine ran into Gimel Martinez (former UK basketball player) at the airport in Myrtle Beach years ago.

Rebeca Arthur
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: dlsterner on November 20, 2022, 09:54:23 PM

In no particular order:

Updating ...  I met William Shatner recently, so he definitely enters the "top five".

If I am going to follow the letter of the subject, I guess I have to prune my original list by one to get back down to five.  Maybe Schaefer, since despite being well known in Maryland, probably not that well known outside.  Plus he's the only one on my list that is deceased.  Or maybe Packwood, probably the least well known in that list, and he was a bit of a sleaze as well.

Schaefer is the one of your original five that I'd never heard of.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.