News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Reliable online map data for Mexico

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 25, 2020, 05:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I just got back from a two week trip in Jalisco.  Something that has been vexing me the entire trip is the combination of poor Federal Highway signing coupled with really unreliable map data that I've found online.  So far I've found that the difference between field signage and what is shown on mapping sites can be drastically different.  Case and point; south of Federal Highway 80 I found almost no trace of Fed 54 (aside form the junction at Fed 80) southward towards Zacoalco de Torres but instead Jalisco State 401 signs.  Following Federal Highways 23 and 44 in the vicinity of Chapala seems to be almost impossible without getting vague reference from my own pictures and Google Car images.  I'm considering picking up some physical road atlases but I would have to think that has to be some decent source for Federal Highways (perhaps in Spanish) that some of the users on the forum known about? 

vdeane

Drafting of the Mexico federal routes for Travel Mapping has begun, so one day that might be a decent reference as to where they are (as much as one can exist; Mexico doesn't seem to be as fussy about nailing down exact route alignments as the US, though the same is true of Saskatoon as well)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on February 25, 2020, 08:59:04 PM
Drafting of the Mexico federal routes for Travel Mapping has begun, so one day that might be a decent reference as to where they are (as much as one can exist; Mexico doesn't seem to be as fussy about nailing down exact route alignments as the US, though the same is true of Saskatoon as well)

How exactly does that whole thing work?  I've been on here for years and never got involved with the Traval Maps somehow.  I probably can sort out a lot of Fed 54, 44, 23, and 80 in Jalisco. 

vdeane

How it works in what way?  I know NE2 is working on deciding on what to include/how to determine where routes go.  Travelers basically enter where they've been in a file, email the file to the admin, and a page with maps/stats appears.
http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3147.msg17857;topicseen#msg17857

I know NE2 was going to clean up the existing data for Mexico, but I don't know what the status of that is.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3147 lists several official sources.
As for 54, sources agree that it's JAL 417 and JAL 401 between Ciudad Guzmán and Entronque Acatlán.
Chapala is yucky. Is it 23? 44? 110?
The worst I've found is Alamo, VER - Huejutla de Reyes, HID: signed as 83 (at junction for Chicontepec de Tejeda), 102 (at Benito Juárez), 105 (at Crucero Tres Huastecas), 106, 127, and 180 (all these at the east end; the newest signs at the east end are for 127); 102 in LRF, 127 in GIS and DV
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2020, 09:25:27 PM
http://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=3147 lists several official sources.
As for 54, sources agree that it's JAL 417 and JAL 401 between Ciudad Guzmán and Entronque Acatlán.
Chapala is yucky. Is it 23? 44? 110?
The worst I've found is Alamo, VER - Huejutla de Reyes, HID: signed as 83 (at junction for Chicontepec de Tejeda), 102 (at Benito Juárez), 105 (at Crucero Tres Huastecas), 106, 127, and 180 (all these at the east end; the newest signs at the east end are for 127); 102 in LRF, 127 in GIS and DV

At least it's not just me being confused, the signage continuity was all over the place for everything aside from 15.  I have a new Rand McNally Map coming in that apparently has an overview insert for Mexico.  Granted that's not the most detailed map that is probably out there but it will be interesting to see how it compares to what I saw in-field. 

With Chapala it looks like 23 bypasses both the central areas of Chapala and Jocotepec.  44 definitely has a sign on 23 in the southbound lanes approaching downtown Chapala which is on the GSV. 

The best I can figure at this point is to watch eBay for highway maps of Jalisco.  I kind of had to do that already to sort out some Sign County Routes in California that weren't known before like R1 and B1.   

Fed 110 is definitely signed from Fed 15 south as the preferred route on the bypass of Jocotepec East to Chapala:

https://flic.kr/p/2ixEG6v

Max Rockatansky

Found this highway map of Jalisco on mappery.com.  It doesn't exactly fill in a lot of holes in the Federal Highway system I was hoping for:

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Jalisco-Road-Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.