News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former US 6/CO 91 in Silver Plume and Georgetown

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 17, 2020, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I'm starting to get to the end of the 2016 Summer Mountain Trip Series.  Entry #30 is a stop in the quasi-ghost town of Silver Plume in the depths of Clear Creek Canyon.  Silver Plume was founded during 1870 along what the was the Loveland Pass Wagon Road and began notable when the Colorado Central Railroad opened the Georgetown Loop during 1884.  Silver Plume was part of the original alignment of CO 91 during the 1920s when the highway ran through the community on Main Street.  US 6 was extended to California during 1937 which absorbed the route of CO 91.  US 6 probably was on Main Street in Silver Plume for a short a time until the highway was relocated to Water Street.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/05/2016-summer-mountain-trip-part-30.html

Max Rockatansky

2016 Summer Mountain Trip Part 31 takes us to Georgetown.  Georgetown was founded during the 1859 Pikes Peak Gold Rush but is far more known for the large 1864 silver strike in Argentine Pass.  Georgetown was part of the original alignment of CO 91 during the 1920s which ran on Loop Drive and Argentine Street.  When US 6 was extended to California during 1937 it absorbed what was CO 91 through Georgetown.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/05/2016-summer-mountain-trip-part-31.html

M3100

My wife and I visited Silver Plume and Georgetown a few years ago when we rode the Georgetown Loop RR.  This RR is a reconstruction of a short segment along the original rail route.  While riding the train, the narrative noted that I-70 was built on the opposite side of the canyon from the railroad (which enabled the railroad to be rebuilt).  Where was the US 6 alignment - was it "overbuilt" by I-70?

will_e_777

Quote from: M3100 on May 31, 2020, 08:02:28 PM
My wife and I visited Silver Plume and Georgetown a few years ago when we rode the Georgetown Loop RR.  This RR is a reconstruction of a short segment along the original rail route.  While riding the train, the narrative noted that I-70 was built on the opposite side of the canyon from the railroad (which enabled the railroad to be rebuilt).  Where was the US 6 alignment - was it "overbuilt" by I-70?

Yes, it followed that trail out of the parking lot.  It had another switchback there before it went up over the hill to Silver Plume.
Rocky Mountain man.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.