News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

tolbs17 in one thread

Started by tolbs17, March 18, 2021, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 11:26:41 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 18, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 09:25:26 PM
This one looks like they wasted money on using a full gantry to just hang one sign on that.
ODOT is so good at doing that
They are just spending unecessary money on that signage. wtf

That martin luther king jr sign is garbage. small font as well as that hospital sign on the overhead. you can almost not read it.
That sign is a minor annoyance to me too. Could've split the 'Martin Luther King Jr Dr" into two lines like this one ahead

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 18, 2021, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 18, 2021, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 09:25:26 PM
This one looks like they wasted money on using a full gantry to just hang one sign on that.
ODOT is so good at doing that

Your ODOT needs to get on my ODOT's level.
When I was picking out my Ohio examples and using 'ODOT', I was thinking "Surely, Oklahoma or Oregon can't be worse than this, right?". Guess I'm wrong about that again.

Also, is the last one of your examples just one taken before signs are installed, or were there actually no plans for signs to go on that gantry?

Scott5114

According to Eric Stuve,
Quote from: okroads
For a time, this sign gantry just south of the Hefner Rd. exit on U.S. 77 South was the home to a "Lane Ends Merge Right" sign, as the left lane ended just ahead. Once the lane was extended 1 1/2 miles further south, the sign was taken down, and the gantry remains in place, with no signs on it whatsoever.

The photo was taken in 2003, and I want to say it stayed that way for at least 10 years (I remember driving under it at least once myself). I just now tried to hunt for it on GSV and couldn't find it, so I guess at some point it got some more signs on it or got removed.

ETA: On further inspection: here it is, empty as late as September 2011. It looks like by May 2012 they put a VMS on it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2021, 12:25:05 AM
According to Eric Stuve,
For a time, this sign gantry just south of the Hefner Rd. exit on U.S. 77 South was the home to a "Lane Ends Merge Right" sign, as the left lane ended just ahead. Once the lane was extended 1 1/2 miles further south, the sign was taken down, and the gantry remains in place, with no signs on it whatsoever.

The photo was taken in 2003, and I want to say it stayed that way for at least 10 years (I remember driving under it at least once myself). I just now tried to hunt for it on GSV and couldn't find it, so I guess at some point it got some more signs on it or got removed.
Found it on GSV, it seems to be home to a VMS display now. Interesting that it was left empty for a decade.

kphoger

At least tack onto the end of an existing gantry–Wichita style!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2021, 12:25:05 AM
According to Eric Stuve,

ETA: On further inspection: here it is, empty as late as September 2011. It looks like by May 2012 they put a VMS on it.

Identical situation on the long ramp from I-295 NB to I-95 NB north of Richmond - there used to be a "lane ends 3 miles" sign over the left lane, but with the lane re-configurations on I-95 at exit 86 & 89, this lane no longer ends and continues as I-95 NB's left lane.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 19, 2021, 10:35:33 AM
At least tack onto the end of an existing gantry–Wichita style!

In Northeast Kansas, this placement is usually reserved for next-three-exit menus. Here, though, the classic Kansas Nothing Sign makes an appearance.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

I created this thread in 2014 (which is about solar glare in general, not just the one sign), but since it had a Google Maps API link, which has since broken:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5278218,-71.5325353,3a,75y,74.26h,93.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4HdqpYgFm0eYFGfLmHCoSg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tolbs17

hobsini2

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 19, 2021, 03:45:07 PM
ISTHA has a few as well. Last one is a BOGO free.
And the last 2 Joe posted are NEW installations when I-90 was widened a few years ago.  The first one he posted always puzzled me because it had been a right side gantry.

BTW Scott, enough people complained or the Tollway saw the issue themselves and have replaced a majority the instances of "Clearview numbers" in the last year. And on the brand new signs, they are not using Clearview font in the text either.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Mergingtraffic

This pole is crooked.  Not really facing straight and it's a little tilted.  But button copy though.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Occidental Tourist

Similar situation here with a C/D lane on the 405 south in Long Beach, California at the Bellflower Blvd exit.  The overhead for the exit is at an angle, and because the mounting base sits higher than others, the sign is taller than a normal sign.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 21, 2021, 04:28:39 PM
This pole is crooked.  Not really facing straight and it's a little tilted.  But button copy though.

Crooked signs seem to be a common occurrence with NYC area signs from what I see so far.

tolbs17

Ned Weasel

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 27, 2021, 12:43:04 AM
This design looks clumsy. See the word Matthews? Notice the letter e

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3588878,-80.7428663,3a,39.8y,138.49h,100.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDi5YliSkJsBPkDkbK-5jHw!2e0!5s20200301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Here too. The I-485 shield looks different. WTF

These are things that would be noticed by a perfectionist who has never been to Oklahoma.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Occidental Tourist

I get how "Inner"  and "Outer"  work, but it seems like for a lot of motorists, particularly those who don't contemplate spatial relationships well, Inner and Outer would be a lot more confusing than cardinal directions.  My wife, for example, would go nuts trying to figure out which way to go if confronted with Inner and Outer at a set of freeway on-ramps.

Are there many other examples of beltways that use Inner and Outer?

tolbs17

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on March 27, 2021, 01:13:38 AM
I get how "Inner"  and "Outer"  work, but it seems like for a lot of motorists, particularly those who don't contemplate spatial relationships well, Inner and Outer would be a lot more confusing than cardinal directions.  My wife, for example, would go nuts trying to figure out which way to go if confronted with Inner and Outer at a set of freeway on-ramps.

Are there many other examples of beltways that use Inner and Outer?
I-440 in Raleigh used to until 2010.

And I think it's cause of that I-40 concurrency is what made it confusing.

And for I-485, it's cause it goes in a complete circle.

I-840 in Greensboro won't surprisingly though (wish it did), but it's fine. I wish I-85 was moved back on its old alignment so I-840 can take over but given the how the highway was made for I-85 (the southern bypass), it is highly unlikely it will be moved back.

AND it was supposed to be for I-40 to go on as well, but because of noise, they moved it back on its old alignment.

Rothman

Capital Beltway, I-495, uses Inner and Outer on some signage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

Quote from: Rothman on March 27, 2021, 07:43:29 AM
Capital Beltway, I-495, uses Inner and Outer on some signage.
So does the Baltimore Beltway, but only as a supplement to the directional markers.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JoePCool14

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3588878,-80.7428663,3a,39.8y,138.49h,100.21t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDi5YliSkJsBPkDkbK-5jHw!2e0!5s20200301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Other than the arguably incompliant use of APL signage, this sign is practically flawless. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

My main complaint here would be the use of an APL signage. I think it's best to use 3 non-APL (one for the 485 through movement, two for the exit to I-85) panels for that interchange.
For the actual 485 number, your first example looks like Series B digits on the 485, while the second one have Series D digits. I'm not sure which type NC uses the most (federal guidelines is Series C btw), but weird seeing them use two number (and shield) sizes for the  485 at the same interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.