News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Was K-10, 23rd Street interchange overbuilt?

Started by dom1_4802, June 16, 2021, 09:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom1_4802

I am just curious what everybody's opinion is on the Kansas 10, 23rd Street interchange?

I live in De Soto and drive through it just about every other day. I have a hard time believing that the traffic counts do and ever will justify that kind of interchange for a non-freeway termination. What was the justification for spending that kind of money on two flyover ramps? My understanding is that bridges are f***ing expensive, and that EB 10 to WB 23rd St flyover must've cost a fortune.

However, all the being said, I am not a traffic engineer, nor do I have enough expertise/knowledge on the subject to really make a judgment.

If I turn out not to be a weirdo, and others do share my opinion, what interchange alternative would've worked better?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

mvak36

Quote from: dom1_4802 on June 16, 2021, 09:11:31 PM
I am just curious what everybody's opinion is on the Kansas 10, 23rd Street interchange?

I live in De Soto and drive through it just about every other day. I have a hard time believing that the traffic counts do and ever will justify that kind of interchange for a non-freeway termination. What was the justification for spending that kind of money on two flyover ramps? My understanding is that bridges are f***ing expensive, and that EB 10 to WB 23rd St flyover must've cost a fortune.

However, all the being said, I am not a traffic engineer, nor do I have enough expertise/knowledge on the subject to really make a judgment.

If I turn out not to be a weirdo, and others do share my opinion, what interchange alternative would've worked better?

I believe the K-10 freeway used to end at 23rd street before they opened up the part of the freeway from 23rd st to US59 in 2016. So that could be why the ramps are like that.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

DandyDan

The K-10 freeway ended and defaulted onto E. 23rd St. before the current freeway was built. I imagine some of the justification for the construction of the interchange as built is to connect to the industrial park right as you exit.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ned Weasel

Quote from: dom1_4802 on June 16, 2021, 09:11:31 PM

I generally agree.  This is very much Fictional Highways territory, but I would have done something like this instead:

Better connectivity for local roads, much cheaper to build and maintain.  The only drawback is at least three of the intersections would need to be signalized, which does factor into the cost.

But it's way too late to go back and make such a revision now.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

route56

I suspect that KDOT built the 23rd Street interchange at the east end of the SLT as a system interchange because KDOT still consideres that portion of 23rd Street to be a limited-access facility.

I have seen a comment from a local somewhere that thought the interchange was *under*built - they felt that the ramps from westbound K-10 to westbound 23rd Street and from eastbound 23rd Street to eastbound K-10 should be two lanes.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.