News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The AARoads Pocket Dictionary [For New Members]

Started by SkyPesos, July 15, 2021, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 15, 2021, 11:42:37 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 03:44:33 PM

IDiOT — An agency not much worse than many others, but it's fun to be snarky

You mean the agency that let's sign installers install a left turn only sign for the right lane don't deserve to be called idiots? I beg to differ.

Mistakes happen. There's a whole bunch in that one thread. Now if every right-turn lane had a left turn only sign, that would be something.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

wanderer2575

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 15, 2021, 11:11:55 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 15, 2021, 10:56:44 PM
...exclusion of tolls from freeways.
I thought the word "freeway" is meant for toll-free roads, with words like "tollway" or "turnpike" defining toll roads.

"Freeway" has always been meant to imply that traffic flows freely (no at-grade intersections with stops).  Has nothing to do with whether there are tolls.

thspfc

A few for Wisconsin . . .

WISDOT: Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Corner Cut: The section of US-12 between Whitewater and Elkhorn
Triplex: The I-39/90/94 concurrency between Madison and Portage

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 15, 2021, 11:27:36 PM
Here's three specifically for Ohio:

Dancing Arrows: The state's lazy way of providing APL like information while not using an APL.

That's not unique to Ohio. Maryland likes to use them too, with the most extreme example likely being this one on I-295.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

High-mast lighting: A series of lights suspended from a very tall pole, normally located at urban interchanges and on freeways.

Ramp meter: A device that resembles a traffic signal, but is used at the end of an entrance ramp to regulate the flow of traffic onto the freeway. Used mainly on the West Coast.

Sign bridge: Any freestanding structure that carries one or more signs above a freeway and has posts on both ends. Also known as a gantry.

I-238: The only 3di in the country that does not have a 2di to connect to; in fact, there is no I-38 anywhere.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CoreySamson

Here are some commonly talked about gaps in the Interstate Highway System that any roadgeek should at least have a cursory understanding of:

Breezewood: a small gap in I-70 in southern Pennsylvania where it leaves the Pennsylvania Turnpike and travels on surface roads for a short period of time. Commonly gaps in other routes are described as "Breezewood-like".

Bella Vista Bypass: a bypass of Bella Vista, AR on I-49 at the Arkansas-Missouri border that is being constructed now.

I-95/Penn Turnpike Interchange: before 2018, I-95 had a gap in the Trenton, NJ area as there was no direct connection between it and the Pennsylvania Turnpike (today there is a direct connection at the I-276/I-295/I-95 interchange). The interchange is an important American road milestone in the past 10 years.

I-585: In Spartanburg, SC, I-585 currently does not connect to its parent interstate, I-85, as I-85 was rerouted onto a bypass route.

And here are some Texas terms (with examples!) you should know:

Feeder Roads: basically just the Houston word for a frontage road. These run alongside freeways and usually have businesses on them. Example:

Texas U-turns: when feeder roads intersect normal roads, you'll find these letting traffic on the feeder roads make a U-turn without sitting through 2 traffic lights. Example:

Stack Interchange: a high volume type of interchange that is used very much in Texas. Generally has 4 or 5 levels of roads. Example:

"Poor Boy": a four lane road with only a center line separating oncoming traffic. Texas used to love these, as they were cheap to build. Example:
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

tolbs17

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 19, 2021, 05:17:03 PM
And where do I fall under?

tolbs17:  The asker of questions never needing an answer.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on July 15, 2021, 05:41:06 PM
Daylight Savings Time - Officer, I meant to type Daylight Donuts Time.

Exit Renumbering - A process that's fine for every state except for the states which don't use it.

GPS - Many people swear you'll go blind if you use it too much.

Interstate - The most important thing a town needs, if you set your watch back 50-60 years.

Pop versus Cola - An argument by people who claim to be well-travelled but dig their heels at the suggestion of a synonym.

Radio Stations - Something that still exists if you forgot your phone, favorite MP3 player, passenger, and recorded music.

Renumbering - A great idea for use in all places with no present road maintenance nor level-of-service issues.

Roadgeek Card - Something people swear must be turned in, but was never distributed in the first place.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 15, 2021, 11:42:37 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 03:44:33 PM
IDiOT – An agency not much worse than many others, but it's fun to be snarky

You mean the agency that let's sign installers install a left turn only sign for the right lane don't deserve to be called idiots? I beg to differ.

As I said.

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 19, 2021, 05:17:03 PM
And where do I fall under?

Maxwell, IA
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on July 21, 2021, 01:28:21 AM
Some more cranky roadgeek definitions from many years ago: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/bierce.html

I don't remember having seen that before, and yet I specifically remember seeing your definition of Frontage Roads before.

Your best definition on there is Alternative.

Your definition of Pork is good, too.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on July 20, 2021, 08:52:50 PM
kphoger: The person that is going to prove you wrong, at one point or another.

I should note that I also have this reputation in real life.  My two eldest sons, having grown up in my household, are some of the most literal people you'll ever meet.

Online, however, I should also note that nobody ever actually admits that someone else has proven him wrong.  Instead, he simply doesn't post a reply at all.  Yes, I'm guilty of that too.

I-99 – The Interstate that most enrages numbering purists.
I-180 (WY) – The Interstate that most enrage everyone else on here, except perhaps those who actually know its history.
I-93 – An Interstate with a two-lane section that curiously doesn't seem to enrage anyone.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: kurumi on July 21, 2021, 01:28:21 AM
Some more cranky roadgeek definitions from many years ago: http://www.kurumi.com/roads/bierce.html

I don't remember having seen that before, and yet I specifically remember seeing your definition of Frontage Roads before.

Your best definition on there is Alternative.

Your definition of Pork is good, too.

I like his "Eastern U.S." definition of Freeway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

US-75 and/or US-287 in Texas – The eventual topic of any discussion of any highway expansion in Texas ever.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

MTR - once the Parthenon of roadgeekery, now just the non

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on July 21, 2021, 07:36:47 PM
MTR - once the Parthenon of roadgeekery, now just the non

I was thinking a better analogy would be the Western Roman Empire. 

JayhawkCO

I-70 -  The most important roadway that enters Baltimore city limits

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 08:03:52 PM

I was trying to figure out how to work that into the dictionary.

Good job.
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 08:03:52 PM

Chris

Similarly but also differently, adding on here:
Breezewood: The most important place that I-70 enters.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tolbs17

index

Fictional Highways - Where intelligent people go to complain about other people's threads for not being realistic enough despite the name of the board being "fictional".
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Fictional highways – The sub-forum where any constructive criticism of anyone's idea can be neatly contradicted by retorting, "This is fictional".
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.