News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mystery road sign I found

Started by Trainman05, January 26, 2022, 09:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman05

Hello, new to the forum. I have joined to ask a question about road signs. I dragged a road sign out of a creek near me in southeastern Pennsylvania a few years ago. However, it is sort of strange. I have been trying to restore the sign based on barely visible markings on the sign that I found. I contacted a trusted sign aficionado and he told me that this sign is likely a bridge marker sign, which would have marked a bridge's "number" for maintenance people. But in further research on my own time, I've noticed something strange. The only sign even similar that I found to mine is the exact same one, but in better shape. It was marked as a "vintage highway mile marker" and after looking, the creek I found the sign is just downstream from a couple bridges, but none of the bridges would have anything to do with the numbers 0 or 25. They are not 25 miles into the roadway, and they aren't the first bridges on the road. (the road being US 322 near Pumping Station Road, Brickerville, PA). What was especially strange to me was that the only other picture I found was identical. The font on the sign, while there isn't a ton to base this statement on, seems like a variation of a normal Highway Gothic font. It's highly similar but slightly warped. Strangely, the entire sign is off center, with all of the markings being off to the left by an eighth of an inch.

https://i.ebayimg.com/d/w1600/pict/294050000419_/Vintage-Salvaged-Mile-Marker-Sign-Highway-10x6-Man.jpg

Here is the picture of an identical sign I found online. It was on sale on Ebay a while ago.

Also attached is the picture of my sign. You can see the pencil markings where I had found remnants of markings, confirmed by the picture of the sign I found online.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTW5PrVBOPXZrJEZgEEW1F7WE2SxdrOD/view?usp=sharing

Thank you all!
--Matt B./Trainman05

jemacedo9

This is a station marker.  These were on state-owned roads before the SR/segment system was put into place in the late 80's.

The 0|25 stands for 2500 feet (IIRC) from the beginning of the road or county line.
1|25 would mean 12500 feet

Scott5114

As to the font being a variant of FHWA Series/Highway Gothic, Pennsylvania is well known for having their own set of digits that they used on shields for many years.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.