News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

These arrows DO NOT comply with the MUTCD. So why are they posted?

Started by tolbs17, March 04, 2022, 04:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rellis97

tolbs17

Scott5114

Quote from: rellis97 on March 07, 2022, 08:39:30 PM
How about this hideous example?

Those are just down arrows that have been turned upward. Oklahoma likes to do that to avoid making EXIT ONLY panels bigger since the 2009 MUTCD requires the arrow to be contained inside of the yellow panel.

(Also, the other panel on that gantry has an upside-down H.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2022, 09:04:07 PM
Those are just down arrows that have been turned upward. Oklahoma likes to do that to avoid making EXIT ONLY panels bigger since the 2009 MUTCD requires the arrow to be contained inside of the yellow panel.

And in this example at least, the EXIT ONLY panel is still taller than it needs to be, such that they probably could have used the correct arrow without issue...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

fwydriver405

These two New Hampshire examples in my view are a bit questionable (I-93 NB Exit 3 Windham, US 3/Everett Turnpike SB Exit 2 Nashua*), and then you have this sign below at Exit 4 on I-93 NB in Londonderry (full size APL for an intermedate exit, with Derry omitted)... The option lane doen't start until 400 m (1/4 mile) before the exit.

Quote from: fwydriver405 on December 30, 2020, 10:28:38 PM
ANOTHER new APL with only one control city, this time at the exit. Exit 4 on I-93 NB.

*If you look closely, the "EXIT ONLY" plaque used to be in the middle above the two arrows.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.