What’s Wrong With This Sign?

Started by roadman65, March 19, 2022, 11:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In this here assembly in Indianapolis, this assembly, although getting the message out to drivers it's intended function correctly,  has an interesting flaw. One that's not major (though some users on here might criticize it) that warrants an immediate replacement or to lose sleep over anyway.

Can it be spotted here?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ran4sh

I don't think the pull-through sign is "wrong" per se, but it's interesting that some states use that kind of layout for overlaps. A pull-through sign with the route markers on the same row, with their corresponding directional banners above them, and with the control cities listed on two lines below the route markers, would most likely allow for a smaller overall sign without compromising the legend or message.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Dirt Roads

That pull-through sign would be more appropriate at the Morris Street/Prospect Street exit (Exit 110A), instead of way back here at the Raymond Street exit (Exit 109).  You are almost 2 miles back from where I-70 eastbound meets up with I-65 northbound.

davewiecking

What is "it should be "˜TO' I-70 Columbus" , Alex.

Big John

If this were new, it would need a yellow banner for a left exit.

tolbs17

ilpt4u

Great Lakes Roads

I-70 East control city needs to be Dayton instead of Columbus, OH. Oh, and the I-70 West exit is actually two lanes.

GaryA

It's not usual to place a period after a postal-style state abbreviation like "OH".

tdindy88

Those are probably some of the more ancient signs left in Indianapolis. Nearly all new signs for I-70 east have designed Dayton for the last 10-15 years or so. I think INDOT just likes waiting until its absolutely necessary to start changing signs. Currently this signed is covered up in weird ways due to the North Split construction and since the northbound I-65 to westbound I-70 movement is being heavily used for through traffic right now then mentioning that the center lane goes that way would be a nice idea right now.

I don't think this would be a bad spot for a one-arrow-per-lane sign to indicate a split in the center lane for I-70 west to St. Louis. Maybe one there and one at the split with Exit 110 (Morris/Prospect) with two signs with pull through arrows at the actual split.

roadman65

Well the exact answer is the comma. The state abbreviation has a period, but the City of Columbus, OH is missing the comma. 

Other than that its fine.   BTW I could care about simple errors like this, but some on here in the past have.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on March 19, 2022, 10:34:22 PM
Well the exact answer is the comma. The state abbreviation has a period, but the City of Columbus, OH is missing the comma. 

Other than that its fine.   BTW I could care about simple errors like this, but some on here in the past have.

...that's not an error. there are never, ever, commas on signs in those situations.

machias

The period after street. Also, the sign isn't being mailed so it doesn't need a postal abbreviation, it should just say Ohio (like you'd sign "Savannah Ga" not "Savannah GA")

hbelkins

Quote from: odditude on March 20, 2022, 02:06:09 PM

...that's not an error. there are never, ever, commas on signs in those situations.

I've seen commas used before. The old button copy signs on I-64 near Huntington are long gone, but ISTR that there were commas after the city for the US 52 north exit (which was changed to reflective non-button signage when the destination was changed from Chesapeake to Ironton.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kenarmy

I've definitely seen some on I-55 signs in Memphis for Jackson, Miss *somewhere*.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

STLmapboy

And most of the time there aren't periods after the state initials either. Example an hour or so from my house.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Road Hog

The top half and bottom half of the middle sign are spaced too close together with the dividing line.

JoePCool14

Following up on the comments about "Columbus, OH.", why do we have Ohio listed for Columbus but not Illinois for Chicago? Or just have no state abbreviations at all (which is what it probably should be)?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 21, 2022, 10:21:26 AM
Following up on the comments about "Columbus, OH.", why do we have Ohio listed for Columbus but not Illinois for Chicago? Or just have no state abbreviations at all (which is what it probably should be)?

To prevent confusion with Columbus IN, which is closer.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on March 21, 2022, 10:28:12 AM

Ok. I assumed there was something like that going on. Isn't the MUTCD-compliant way of doing that technically "Columbus Oh"?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 21, 2022, 11:59:21 AM

Ok. I assumed there was something like that going on. Isn't the MUTCD-compliant way of doing that technically "Columbus Oh"?

Several states have a traditional abbreviation that matches their postal code except lowercase, but Ohio isn't one of them, and it typically gets spelled out. You'll sometimes see O. in very old documents, before Oregon and Oklahoma became states (e.g. the principal cities of 1857 list).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

machias

Quote from: 1 on March 21, 2022, 12:03:29 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 21, 2022, 11:59:21 AM

Several states have a traditional abbreviation that matches their postal code except lowercase, but Ohio isn't one of them, and it typically gets spelled out. You'll sometimes see O. in very old documents, before Oregon and Oklahoma became states (e.g. the principal cities of 1857 list).

I was going to suggest "Columbus O" but I didn't want to show my age. LOL.

I've always been of the mind of major/obvious destinations don't need a state designation, but any other out of state destination should have a state abbreviation.  NYSDOT Region 5 does "Erie Pa" and "Bradford Pa" and that always made sense to me, but "Boston Ma" (or Boston Mass) on RI 146 didn't make sense to me.

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on March 20, 2022, 09:23:02 PM
The top half and bottom half of the middle sign are spaced too close together with the dividing line.

Section 2E.15, if I may quote chapter and verse.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.