News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"New" Main Street Bridge in Columbus

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, July 25, 2010, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I didn't realize the new bridge was to be open to the public this week (City of Columbus had started work on this just before I left for Louisiana back in 2004). But 60 million?!? Gulp!
Article about the bridge, mostly on the fiances of it, from the Sunday Dispatch.
http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/07/25/copy/pretty--costly-.html?adsec=politics&sid=101
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

6a

I drove it this past weekend and I must say it is pretty neat.  One thing I hadn't noticed is the light poles have the same lean as the arch itself, so it's kinda like you are the one that's crooked.  The separate pedestrian deck is neat too.  But yeah, $60 mil is a bit much.

vtk

As I recall, the design was chosen because Columbus wanted a "signature" bridge, and nobody knew a recession was coming.  Still, the first proposed designs would have cost twice as much.

Anyway, it's open to two-way traffic now, though you still can't follow US 62 / SR 3 South across it (actually, to it) because of construction on city streets just east of the bridge.  This is nice; it's been too long with Broad Street as the only downtown Scioto crossing.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on June 27, 2011, 10:25:03 PM
As I recall, the design was chosen because Columbus wanted a "signature" bridge, and nobody knew a recession was coming.  Still, the first proposed designs would have cost twice as much.

Anyway, it's open to two-way traffic now, though you still can't follow US 62 / SR 3 South across it (actually, to it) because of construction on city streets just east of the bridge.  This is nice; it's been too long with Broad Street as the only downtown Scioto crossing.

As I told those in attendence at the C-bus roadmeet back in May, for a "signature" bridge, Columbus & OSU should have flip-flop the Lane Ave & Main St. bridges.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.