News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 2

Started by Strider, July 18, 2013, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

If you want to see more recent aerials in Google Earth click the "show historic aerial" button at the top of the UI.  (The clock icon with a counterclockwise arrow).  Newer aerials are often "hiding" in the the historic option for various reasons (clouds or whatever).  This is especially true for urban areas.

This is only an option in Google Earth, not Google Maps.  And it's only a feature of the desktop app, not the mobile app.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

edwaleni

https://www.progresstimes.net/2021/02/28/with-new-highway-about-halfway-complete-penitas-poised-for-growth/

With construction on the La Joya bypass about halfway complete, the city of Peñitas is preparing for growth.
Officially called the "U.S. 83 Relief Route,"  the project will extend Interstate 2 from Palmview to Sullivan City.

"We're excited about it, especially because we're going to have two exit lanes, one on Liberty and one on Tom Gill, so we're expecting a lot of the traffic to get off here,"  said Peñitas Mayor Rodrigo "Rigo"  Lopez.
"We're not going to be one of those cities that gets left behind."

Construction on Phase I of the project, which connects the east side of Sullivan City to Jara Chinas Road, is about 63% complete, according to information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation.

Along with the highway and frontage roads, Phase I involved the construction of a bridge over La Joya Lake.

Anderson Columbia, a construction company based in Lake City, Florida, is scheduled to finish Phase I by February 2022.
Construction on Phase II of the project, which connects Jara Chinas Road to Interstate 2 near Showers Road, is about 47% complete, according to information provided by the Department of Transportation.

Phase II also involved drainage work, which is more than 90% complete.
Pulice Construction – a subsidiary of Dragados, a Spanish construction conglomerate – is scheduled to finish Phase II by May 2023.
Phase I and Phase II cost about $183 million, according to information provided by the Department of Transportation. When completed, the project will extend Interstate 2 by about 9 miles.
The new highway will allow motorists to avoid U.S. 83 between Sullivan City and Palmview, which is prone to congestion during rush hour.
Planning for the project started more than a decade ago. Peñitas worked closely with the Rio Grande Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Department of Transportation throughout the process.

"We've been talking about it for several years now and it's finally here,"  Lopez said. "We're going to be able to see this come to fruition."
Exits on Liberty Road and Tom Gill Road will position the city of Peñitas for commercial development, Lopez said, adding that about 500 acres of undeveloped land is ready for new businesses.
"We're looking to attract maybe your franchise, sit-down restaurants and maybe some hotels and stuff of that nature,"  Lopez said.
The city is working to market Peñitas to hotels, restaurants and big-box retailers.
"Anything in particular, I wouldn't want to mention because of the competition that surrounds these types of things,"  Lopez said.
Reducing the travel time between Peñitas and McAllen will also position the city for residential growth.
"You can get on the expressway here in Peñitas and be in central McAllen at the same time as if you live on Trenton and drove down Second and got to central McAllen,"  said Peñitas City Manager Omar Romero.

More rooftops and retail development will boost tax revenue, allowing Peñitas to expand city services.
"We're looking forward to it,"  Romero said. "And we think that the growth for the city is going to be tremendous after it."

Thegeet

Uhh...this article is over a year old.

edwaleni

Quote from: Thegeet on March 26, 2022, 08:16:53 PM

I caught that after I posted. My bad.

roadman65

Quote from: edwaleni on March 26, 2022, 08:50:46 PM

Never trust the Goog. I've learned that several times resulting with egg all over me.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rte66man

I still don't understand why they didn't "round off" the eastern end curves. As mentioned upthread, they have to room to have done so. Bad decision.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

edwaleni

Quote from: roadman65 on March 27, 2022, 11:41:39 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on March 26, 2022, 08:50:46 PM

Never trust the Goog. I've learned that several times resulting with egg all over me.

I still think its 2021 at times...must be a covid thing. I did look at that publication date and it went right by me.

Bobby5280

Quote from: rte66manI still don't understand why they didn't "round off" the eastern end curves. As mentioned upthread, they have to room to have done so. Bad decision.

It's quite likely TX DOT was forced into that really outrageously angled alignment on the East end of the LaJoya Bypass due to property owners not wanting to sell ROW they needed to make the turns more gradual. That first turn at the East end is probably as sharp as anything you could find on an existing US freeway without it being a slow cloverleaf ramp.

I also think it's very likely in the years ahead that there will be plenty of accidents on that first turn from drivers not anticipating the sharp curve. TX DOT will need to install some visually "loud" warning signs to force motorists to pay attention. The finished bypass will serve as a kind of traffic flow experiment. Over time if there are too many accidents TX DOT will be forced to alter the alignment of the bypass' East end to work in more gradual curves.

bassoon1986

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 27, 2022, 05:29:21 PM
Quote from: rte66manI still don't understand why they didn't "round off" the eastern end curves. As mentioned upthread, they have to room to have done so. Bad decision.

It's quite likely TX DOT was forced into that really outrageously angled alignment on the East end of the LaJoya Bypass due to property owners not wanting to sell ROW they needed to make the turns more gradual. That first turn at the East end is probably as sharp as anything you could find on an existing US freeway without it being a slow cloverleaf ramp.

I also think it's very likely in the years ahead that there will be plenty of accidents on that first turn from drivers not anticipating the sharp curve. TX DOT will need to install some visually "loud" warning signs to force motorists to pay attention. The finished bypass will serve as a kind of traffic flow experiment. Over time if there are too many accidents TX DOT will be forced to alter the alignment of the bypass' East end to work in more gradual curves.
I thought I remembered some advisory speed signs on the curve I-45 makes at Richland, but I didn't see them on GSV. I do remember it being a bit of a pull on your vehicle at 75 mph.

It may take something ala I-90 in Cleveland or I-10 westbound in Baton Rouge.

iPhone

sprjus4

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 27, 2022, 05:47:51 PM
Those are 35 mph curves, the one at La Joya will have an advisory speed of 55 mph.

The second curve I believe is designed for and will be posted for 70 mph.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 27, 2022, 05:29:21 PM

Looking at the area in Google maps that is some sort of concrete ditch or depression just to the west of the ROW for I-2 and just North of what appears to be a canal of some sort.  I'm guessing that it it is something more than just a run of the mill ditch and that forced I-2 into the path it is taking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.249351,-98.4269498,1407m/data=!3m1!1e3

edwaleni

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 27, 2022, 07:22:55 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 27, 2022, 05:47:51 PM
Those are 35 mph curves, the one at La Joya will have an advisory speed of 55 mph.

The second curve I believe is designed for and will be posted for 70 mph.

Looks like a normal flyover to me.

sprjus4

Quote from: edwaleni on March 28, 2022, 10:57:41 AM
It's a curve designed for a 55-60 mph speed on an otherwise 70-75 mph posted highway. It's a flawed design.

Thegeet

Google Satellite View has updated the imagery for the future La Joya bypass.

The Ghostbuster

Good to know! Hopefully, Interstate 2 makes it to Laredo, although I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 28, 2022, 05:03:19 PM
It's a curve designed for a 55-60 mph speed on an otherwise 70-75 mph posted highway. It's a flawed design.

Looks like the issue here is spacing between the intersection of existing US 83 with Business 83 to the west and the Showers Road interchange to the east, along with the property line setup and the businesses along the northbound frontage road north of Showers. The combination thereof precludes a more gradual transition and requires a sharper T divergence. Personally, I see no issue; the curve is not unlike a lot of relief route exits, and at least there's no left exits.

Bobby5280

Quote from: The GhostbusterGood to know! Hopefully, Interstate 2 makes it to Laredo, although I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't.

The hardest part is going to be getting the highway extended West to Roma. There are at least plans on paper to build a regional bypass around the cluster of cities from Rio Grande City out West past Roma. If it gets built any time soon it's likely going to start out as a Super 2 road with or without limited access, just to preserve ROW.

The other important leg is the stretch between Sullivan City and Las Lomas. I guess that's what will be tackled after the La Joya bypass is finished. It looks like they could build a new Interstate along the existing ROW, but I think plans are to build some new terrain bypass mileage around Sullivan City at least.

sprjus4

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 04, 2022, 07:15:42 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 28, 2022, 05:03:19 PM

Looks like the issue here is spacing between the intersection of existing US 83 with Business 83 to the west and the Showers Road interchange to the east, along with the property line setup and the businesses along the northbound frontage road north of Showers. The combination thereof precludes a more gradual transition and requires a sharper T divergence. Personally, I see no issue; the curve is not unlike a lot of relief route exits, and at least there's no left exits.
Sure, but since it's a designed to be a continuous 75 mph highway extending east-west, a more seamless transition without a sharp 55 mph would have been ideal - and was certainly possible. The right of way exists for a larger radii curve.

yakra

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2608015910297/u-s-83-relief-route-project-nearing-completion

Posted May 19. To be completed in about a year. About 85% done with the project, it says.
Lists 3 phases, though there's no mention of the first phases opening to traffic earlier.
  • Phase 1: Frontage Roads 0.85 miles East of El Faro Rd. to FM 2221
  • Phase 2: Frontage Roads and Main Lanes from FM 2221 to 0.28 Miles West of Showers Rd.
  • Phase 3: Maine lanes 0.85 Miles East of El Faro Rd. to FM 2221
Good to know we'uh finally gettin' some maw innastate lanes up heyuh too bub. Needham sutton wicked.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Thegeet

Quote from: yakra on June 12, 2022, 11:21:47 AM
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2608015910297/u-s-83-relief-route-project-nearing-completion

Posted May 19. To be completed in about a year. About 85% done with the project, it says.
Lists 3 phases, though there's no mention of the first phases opening to traffic earlier.
  • Phase 1: Frontage Roads 0.85 miles East of El Faro Rd. to FM 2221
  • Phase 2: Frontage Roads and Main Lanes from FM 2221 to 0.28 Miles West of Showers Rd.
  • Phase 3: Maine lanes 0.85 Miles East of El Faro Rd. to FM 2221
Good to know we'uh finally gettin' some maw innastate lanes up heyuh too bub. Needham sutton wicked.
Da ya thinks dat dis wil bee maid an' innrstate hiwey up on openin'?

The Ghostbuster

It better be an Interstate Highway when it opens, even if it is just signed as Interstate 2. At some point, the US 83 designation should be truncated, ultimately to Botines.

edwaleni

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 13, 2022, 02:14:59 PM
It better be an Interstate Highway when it opens, even if it is just signed as Interstate 2. At some point, the US 83 designation should be truncated, ultimately to Botines.

If prior history means anything, the current US-83 will be changed to BUSN US-83 and I-2 and US-83 will be cosigned on the new route.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: edwaleni on June 13, 2022, 02:39:37 PM

If prior history means anything, the current US-83 will be changed to BUSN US-83 and I-2 and US-83 will be cosigned on the new route.

I think you are right.  It's stupid though.  US-83 should stay where it is and the new alignment should be I-2 only.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 13, 2022, 02:53:19 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on June 13, 2022, 02:39:37 PM

It makes it easier to transition to a non US business route in the future I am sure.
I think you are right.  It's stupid though.  US-83 should stay where it is and the new alignment should be I-2 only.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.