News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 06, 2014, 08:09:06 PMthe I-69 porkstension began as an Indy-Evansville route being pushed by folks in Washington, Indiana.
that's some mighty fine porkery, getting a road extended a bit southward in Indiana.  oh, like all the way to the Texas/Mexico border.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Thing 342

IMO, I think that I-73 has greater utility than NC!I-74 as currently planned. I-74's route (specifically east of I-95) looks like it was drawn by someone's 2-year old child.The best solution, IMO, would be to route I-73 along I-74's planned route north of the split in High Point, and then simply decommission the rest. Unfortunately, it seems that the most important part of the 73/74 project (I-95- MB connector) will be among the last built.

Tom958

Quote from: NE2 on March 06, 2014, 08:09:06 PM
Who was the original proponent of I-73/74? For example, the I-69 porkstension began as an Indy-Evansville route being pushed by folks in Washington, Indiana. Was I-73/74 an outgrowth of an I-95 link to Myrtle Beach studied in 1982? Or did this simply get tacked onto the end of Bluefield's desire to get US 52 four-laned?

The first I ever heard about it, back in the '80's, it was the latter. And it was just I-73 at that point, from Myrtle Beach to Toledo via Winston Salem...

Quote from: Thing 342The best solution, IMO, would be to route I-73 along I-74's planned route north of the split in High Point...

Yeah, like that. :)

NE2

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 06, 2014, 09:50:09 PM
The best solution, IMO, would be to route I-73 along I-74's planned route north of the split in High Point, and then simply decommission the rest.
Yep. I-73 from Mount Airy to Myrtle Beach, and I-74 from Charlotte to Wilmington.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 06, 2014, 09:50:09 PM
IMO, I think that I-73 has greater utility than NC!I-74 as currently planned. I-74's route (specifically east of I-95) looks like it was drawn by someone's 2-year old child.The best solution, IMO, would be to route I-73 along I-74's planned route north of the split in High Point, and then simply decommission the rest. Unfortunately, it seems that the most important part of the 73/74 project (I-95- MB connector) will be among the last built.

I-73 is an important route in and around Greensboro.  Which is why they are currently constructing I-73 north of Greensboro now.  When Virginia gets their butts in gear and start building the freeway to Roanoke, then its existence will be less questioned (they already got an approved route: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Salem/I-73_Map_December_2012.jpg).

Strider

Exactly, plus, NCDOT are going to rebuild/construct I-73 connector between NC 68 and Future I-840/I-73/Bryan Blvd soon, like in 2015 I think. So, we have 2 sections of I-73 under construction right now (NC 68/US 220 connector & the one south of Ellebre) with one more coming up at the PTI Airport area (I-73 Connector).

I haven't heard anything about I-74 except the short section of W-S beltway between US 158 and Business 40 that will be under construction soon.

So, I have the feeling NCDOT is focusing more on I-73 more.

Strider

Also, in other I-73 related news, Virginia Senate passes I-73 study. That's a good news. Hopefully they can go forward with that soon.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=41116

NE2

Maybe the study will jibe with common sense and recommend spot upgrades to US 220. Not everything needs to be Interstate standard.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on March 07, 2014, 02:13:16 AM
Maybe the study will jibe with common sense and recommend spot upgrades to US 220. Not everything needs to be Interstate standard.

Elizabeth, honey, I'm-a comin' to join you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: bob7374 on March 06, 2014, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 06, 2014, 09:29:53 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 05, 2014, 11:53:57 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 05, 2014, 11:41:57 PM
Curious, but does anybody have photos showing US-220 being removed between Exits #25 and #41?  Just wanted to make sure that part of the signage upgrade has been done before I update it in OSM.

Yeeeep.  I can confirm that US 220 was moved back on its original alignment between exit 25-41.

Thanks for the conformation.  I've now fixed OSM in that area. :)
I assume those are Begin North I-73/West I-74 signs in the background of Exit 25.

And what exactly is NCDOT's point here .....? This seems silly to relocate only a 16 mile piece of US 220 back to its original alignment IMO. Why either wait until I-73/74 gets completed or else just leave the old road ALT US 220 .....? Not like travelers need more confusion with more sign changes right now, yes .....?
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

froggie

Regarding I-73 in Virginia, the reality is that it's no more than a pipe dream of Roanoke, a few cities in the Carolinas, and a few members of this forum.  No private consortium is going to float a serious PPP for it because the ROI just isn't there...between the very high construction costs (due to the terrain) and fairly low traffic volumes on a corridor that's really not all that congested.  And VDOT doesn't have the cash flow to fund it themselves.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on March 08, 2014, 01:49:31 AM
And what exactly is NCDOT's point here .....? This seems silly to relocate only a 16 mile piece of US 220 back to its original alignment IMO. Why either wait until I-73/74 gets completed or else just leave the old road ALT US 220 .....? Not like travelers need more confusion with more sign changes right now, yes .....?

That section was never formally rerouted and approved through AASHTO, while previous sections north were before I-73/I-74 were signed.  Basically, it was a place holder till I-73/I-74 was more complete further north to warrant the huge signage change in 2013.

Here are the various documentations found on NCDOT's website:
NCDOT officially moving US 220 along new freeway, establishing Bypass/Business Routes: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1972_11_02.pdf
NCDOT officially moving US 220 along new freeway, establishing Alternate route:  https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1979_11_01.pdf
NCDOT extending US 220 along new freeway, extending Bypass/Business routes: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1982_03_01.pdf
NCDOT establishes I-73/I-74 overlapping US 220: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1996_09_20.pdf
NCDOT getting approval of I-73/I-74 south to Ellerbe: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2011_07_07.pdf
NCDOT extending I-73/I-74 north: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2012_07_11.pdf

Tom958

Narrow shoulders? WTF?

Quote from: froggie on March 08, 2014, 05:57:40 AM
Regarding I-73 in Virginia, the reality is that it's no more than a pipe dream of Roanoke, a few cities in the Carolinas, and a few members of this forum.  No private consortium is going to float a serious PPP for it because the ROI just isn't there...between the very high construction costs (due to the terrain) and fairly low traffic volumes on a corridor that's really not all that congested.  And VDOT doesn't have the cash flow to fund it themselves.

I've never driven it (the Greensboro-Roanoke corridor), but my daughter did on a recent trip from Greensboro to Pennsylvania, and she said, "I liked that part." :)

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Tom958 on March 08, 2014, 08:20:55 PM
Narrow shoulders? WTF?

Well, technically the grass area is the shoulder; this is common on most freeways built in the last twenty years in the state.

roadman65

Yeah, but for interstate standards the shoulders are to be at least 10 feet wide.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

amroad17

I-73 originally was not supposed to go from Princeton to Roanoke and then down to Greensboro.  It was supposed to follow the route that I-74 is now in NC.  Apparently, some VA lawmakers tweaked the bill to have I-73 go through Roanoke and along US 220 to help the economy in that part of the Commonwealth.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: amroad17 on March 08, 2014, 11:24:20 PM
I-73 originally was not supposed to go from Princeton to Roanoke and then down to Greensboro.  It was supposed to follow the route that I-74 is now in NC.  Apparently, some VA lawmakers tweaked the bill to have I-73 go through Roanoke and along US 220 to help the economy in that part of the Commonwealth.

Isn't the Smart Road in Blacksburg supposed to become part of I-73?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bob7374

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2014, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on March 08, 2014, 11:24:20 PM

Yes, though the designation, if not the road itself, is based on I-73 continuing further north into WV and Ohio. It doesn't appear that's likely for a long while, or ever.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on March 09, 2014, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2014, 04:28:55 PM
Yes, though the designation, if not the road itself, is based on I-73 continuing further north into WV and Ohio. It doesn't appear that's likely for a long while, or ever.

I believe West Virginia is committed in constructing the King Coal Highway (US 52).  The only problem is that it's West Virginia.  :pan:  There is a lot of mountain to cut through there and not to many politicians eager to throw money at it; heck, there are still US Routes trying to be built in the state.

amroad17

As of the near future, I-73 will not go any further north than Roanoke.  The King Coal Highway, whenever it is completed, will be a four-lane divided expressway ala OH 32 in Ohio or US 50 from Parkersburg to Clarksburg.  I-74 in NC will never connect to I-74 in Cincinnati.

With our country's current economic situation, the grand plans of I-73/74 will not ever come to fruition.  We will be left with a partial US 52 freeway between Ironton and Portsmouth, US 23 currently as is, a US 52 upgrade in WV (maybe), no changes in Michigan, and possibly a completed I-73 between Roanoke and Greensboro.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Strider

I think I-74 will just exist as a 2 separate interstate just like I-76, I-84, I-86, I-88.

bob7374

The latest NCDOT Construction Progress Report update on the US 220 (Future I-73) widening project north of Greensboro indicates that the project is seriously behind. While it is projected to be nearly 50% complete at this time, it appears to be less than 30% done. Has anyone checked out the area recently or heard anything about causes for the delays?

US 41

I think I-74 should end in Wilmington. Running it down to Myrtle Beach isn't all that good of an idea.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

WashuOtaku

Quote from: US 41 on March 28, 2014, 05:30:23 PM
I think I-74 should end in Wilmington. Running it down to Myrtle Beach isn't all that good of an idea.

Well, you are not the first person to say that... but, it's still going to Garden City, South Carolina... some day.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on March 28, 2014, 11:20:47 AM
The latest NCDOT Construction Progress Report update on the US 220 (Future I-73) widening project north of Greensboro indicates that the project is seriously behind. While it is projected to be nearly 50% complete at this time, it appears to be less than 30% done. Has anyone checked out the area recently or heard anything about causes for the delays?

I don't know about that section, but I did drove on that section of US 220 south of the proposed connector route, and there was nothing new going on there.. yeah you could say it's seriously behind. I will try to check out the proposed connector area and see if it looks the same as last time I went up there (which is nearly a year) or not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.