News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Double Lane Drive Thrus

Started by webny99, July 02, 2020, 07:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Which fast food restaurants in your area have double lane (2 order point) drive thrus?

I've only ever seen this at McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A. The latter usually has pretty quick service, but with regards to McDonald's, I haven't noticed that the extra order point significantly reduces the wait times. Everyone still has to line up single file for the pick-up window, so it ends up backing up the line for the window longer than it would be otherwise.

Takumi

Every Cook Out around here has them, and some but not all CFAs.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Freddy's Steakburgers in Maple Grove does as well. The one difference I note is McDonald's keeps two lanes open at all hours while the other places only open the second lane during busy periods.

I'm actually trying to remember the last time I saw a McDonald's with just one lane.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jmacswimmer

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 07:42:18 AM
Which fast food restaurants in your area have double lane (2 order point) drive thrus?

I've only ever seen this at McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A. The latter usually has pretty quick service, but with regards to McDonald's, I haven't noticed that the extra order point significantly reduces the wait times. Everyone still has to line up single file for the pick-up window, so it ends up backing up the line for the window longer than it would be otherwise.

Exact same experience down here in MD.  Chick-Fil-A is pretty efficient with getting people thru, but you can find yourself sitting at McDonald's for quite some time (especially if you're getting a midnight snack, when the A crew isn't working).

The double ordering lanes having to merge down to 1 pay/pick-up window also seems to result in some aggressive people who just have to get in front of you and get their order first (which then also causes McDonald's, but not Chick-Fil-A, to start confusing orders).

I've also noticed the last few times at my local McDonald's that they never seem to actually take 2 orders simultaneously - they'll talk to the person in the left lane, then the right lane, and so forth.  What's the point of even having 2 order lanes then :hmmm:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

I avoid drive-thrus unless it's just for beverages, but the three nearest our house (a McDonald's, a Burger King, and a Taco Bell/KFC) are all single-lane. The nearest Chick-Fil-A is also single-lane and it backs up bigtime–you can see the line of cars in this satellite image. The pick-up window is in that alley between Chick-Fil-A and Advance Auto Parts and the line goes around the back of the building (between the building and I-95) and around through the parking lot. The drive-thru queue regularly spills out into Backlick Road and obstructs traffic trying to get into and out of the strip mall for other purposes. It appears the Street View car got on line for the drive-thru, too.

A new Chick-Fil-A is to open in our neighborhood and I don't know whether there is to be one queue or two, but there is to be only one set of windows. Thankfully, it will be close enough that I can just walk there and avoid the inevitable traffic hassles that are bound to occur.

The last time we stopped at the Chick-Fil-A in Sanford, Florida, near the Auto Train station, they had a double-queue drive-thru that was still backed up. Employees were taking orders using what looked like an iPad or similar device so as to try to expedite things by eliminating the need for people to stop again at the order point. (To be clear, we didn't go to the drive-thru. We went inside to eat. But it was hard to miss the drive-thru lines that were wrapped around the building.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Freestanding Rally's/Checker's have double-lane drive thrus, but unlike McDonald's, they lead to two separate windows.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Portillos have a 2-lane setup during peak times, but taking orders with employees outside. The typical "board"  outside for ordering is pretty much only used in non-peak times

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 02, 2020, 09:35:28 AM
I'm actually trying to remember the last time I saw a McDonald's with just one lane.

In this area they've all changed in the past 10 years or so. I think there's still some with only one lane, but they're disappearing. All the ones that immediately came to mind have changed to the double lane style.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 02, 2020, 09:58:59 AM
The nearest Chick-Fil-A is also single-lane and it backs up bigtime–you can see the line of cars in this satellite image. The pick-up window is in that alley between Chick-Fil-A and Advance Auto Parts and the line goes around the back of the building (between the building and I-95) and around through the parking lot. The drive-thru queue regularly spills out into Backlick Road and obstructs traffic trying to get into and out of the strip mall for other purposes.

I think that's a problem with Chick-Fil-A in general, not just the lack of a second order point.
Ours has two order points, and still creates major backups, as I detailed here about a month ago.

Another one that's been bad recently is Starbucks. Not quite Chick-Fil-A level, but still creating backups that spill beyond the plaza entrance and onto the street.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 01:02:59 PM

The nearest Chick-Fil-A is also single-lane and it backs up bigtime–you can see the line of cars in this satellite image. The pick-up window is in that alley between Chick-Fil-A and Advance Auto Parts and the line goes around the back of the building (between the building and I-95) and around through the parking lot. The drive-thru queue regularly spills out into Backlick Road and obstructs traffic trying to get into and out of the strip mall for other purposes.

I think that's a problem with Chick-Fil-A in general, not just the lack of a second order point.

I might suggest it's more of a problem with Chick-Fil-A's customers than anything to do with Chick-Fil-A itself. It's often faster just to park the car, go inside, and order "to go." Oftentimes at a busy place, such as a Chick-Fil-A or the KFC/Taco Bell in our neighborhood, you can go inside, stand on line briefly, order "to go," wait for and receive your food, and be back in your car in less time than you would have spent waiting to reach the drive-thru order point, let alone waiting to receive your food at the pickup window. Seems to me it's the customers' insistence on never getting out of the car that is the problem, rather than anything to do with the restaurant itself. (No doubt when gas prices get high, these same people who wasted gas idling for 20 minutes waiting for the drive-thru are the first ones to grump about gas being too expensive.)

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't know how CFA's policy is, but at McDonald's and BK I can say from under the hood experience that drive thru customers are the priority. At lunch and occasionally dinner at BK there would be one person dedicated to front counter orders and one person dedicated to drive thru, but during other times all other factors being equal that drive thru orders get first priority.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 02, 2020, 01:13:53 PM
I might suggest it's more of a problem with Chick-Fil-A's customers than anything to do with Chick-Fil-A itself. It's often faster just to park the car, go inside, and order "to go." Oftentimes at a busy place, such as a Chick-Fil-A or the KFC/Taco Bell in our neighborhood, you can go inside, stand on line briefly, order "to go," wait for and receive your food, and be back in your car in less time than you would have spent waiting to reach the drive-thru order point, let alone waiting to receive your food at the pickup window. Seems to me it's the customers' insistence on never getting out of the car that is the problem, rather than anything to do with the restaurant itself. (No doubt when gas prices get high, these same people who wasted gas idling for 20 minutes waiting for the drive-thru are the first ones to grump about gas being too expensive.)

Especially at CFA.  They are very efficient at getting customers their food inside.  Multiple registers, quick employees.

However, it's hard to fault anyone these days for not wanting to go inside a restaurant, when there's a nearly no-touch option available with guaranteed social distancing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

An old Burger King and a new CFA in my town both have double-lane drive-thrus. Others (including MOD Pizza) have a bypass lane so you can get out of the queue and park for a larger order.

webny99

I might suggest it's more of a problem with Chick-Fil-A's customers than anything to do with Chick-Fil-A itself.

... and I might suggest it's a problem with customers in general, not just Chick-Fil-A customers.  :D

I, too, prefer to go inside if I'm in a party of three or more people. Large orders and the drive thru don't mesh well. This is one of the most frustrating things about drive thrus in general - for the person placing the large order, for the order taker, and, especially, for other customers. I'd consider more than about 90 seconds spent at the drive thru order point to be a complete disaster, from an operational perspective.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 02, 2020, 09:35:28 AM
Freddy's Steakburgers in Maple Grove does as well. The one difference I note is McDonald's keeps two lanes open at all hours while the other places only open the second lane during busy periods.

One of the two McDonald's in my town has only one lane.   The other, Chick-Fil-A. and one Dunkin have two (the Dunkin is a new concept store with a dedicated lane for mobile app orders).  Every other drive thru in my town (both Wendy's, both Burger Kings, Taco Bell, KFC, Arby's, Popeye's, Dairy Queen [which could use 5 lanes during the summer months], and 6 of the other 7 Dunkins) each have one.

As for the Chick-Fil-A, the Google vehicle must have passed by either late morning or mid-afternoon.  Only one car at one of the ordering stations, and only 3 cars waiting at the window
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 02, 2020, 01:59:44 PM

I might suggest it's more of a problem with Chick-Fil-A's customers than anything to do with Chick-Fil-A itself.

... and I might suggest it's a problem with customers in general, not just Chick-Fil-A customers.  :D

I agree with that. I've gone into a McDonald's near home and found myself the only person ordering inside while at least seven cars are lined up for the drive-thru. I only cited Chick-Fil-A because I was responding to your comment that mentioned them.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 02, 2020, 10:06:40 AM
Freestanding Rally's/Checker's have double-lane drive thrus, but unlike McDonald's, they lead to two separate windows.
Yes, but the second window is on the right (at least at my local Checker's) so a bit of a hassle if you don't have a passenger to handle it.

If we could just all order like this, the drive-through would go a lot faster:
[tweet]1032671329215045632[/tweet]

"EHHHHHH!"
"OK, drive around to the first window....

In_Correct

Doesn't McDonald's have more than two windows ... one for each lane ?
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

ftballfan

My local McDonalds has a double lane drive thru. Every other fast food place in my town (A&W, Burger King, KFC/Taco Bell, Wendy's) has a single lane drive thru.

Somewhat off topic, but could we see fast food chains build drive-thru only locations?

formulanone

Milo's Hamburgers in Decatur and Prattville (Alabama) have dual drive-through setups.  These are "newer" stores.

CoreySamson

I've seen Chick-Fil-A do this, as well as Wendy's. However, I've never seen the second one at Wendy's even open.  :confused:

Whataburger and Sonics around here at peak hours have you pull into a second designated space alongside the pickup window and bring your food out to you. Not quite a double lane drive thru, but I guess it counts.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadrunner75

I remember in the 80s at least one McDonald's (Thurmont MD I think...) having a conveyor belt system to take food to the drive through window.  I remember watching the food going up and over the dining room, and I think it might have gone to a second drive-through lane where it went over the first lane to a second booth disconnected from the building but I can't recall exactly.

RobbieL2415

There's a McD in Vernon that operates two lanes at all times.
There is also one in Manchester that used to have three windows. That one has only one lane, though.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: In_Correct on July 02, 2020, 05:00:05 PM
Doesn't McDonald's have more than two windows ... one for each lane ?

Windsor Locks, CT does two ordering lanes; traffic merges into a single lane, paying at the first window (except in the late night / early morning) hours, and receiving food (or being directed to a parking space) at the second window.

I thought this was standard at most of the recently-designed/remodeled McD's, with a possible exception of there being sometimes being a third window, to pick up drinks

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ftballfan on July 03, 2020, 09:50:39 AM
My local McDonalds has a double lane drive thru. Every other fast food place in my town (A&W, Burger King, KFC/Taco Bell, Wendy's) has a single lane drive thru.

Somewhat off topic, but could we see fast food chains build drive-thru only locations?

That's basically what Checkers/Rally is.

They do have a walk-up window though. Because mot everyone going to buy fast food drives a car. Kids on bikes, adults on bikes, pedestrians, etc.  People that work nearby,, etc.. Alienating them would cut out a sufficient portion of sales.

webny99

Well, this pandemic has certainly been an experiment in operating a drive-thru only restaurant. I'd say the evidence isn't very conclusive one way or the other: It can work, certainly, but drive-thru lines were way longer than usual for a while, and even still they seem to be longer as compared to pre-pandemic. You can't count on no lines at the usual slow times of day anymore.

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 03, 2020, 11:13:07 AM
Whataburger and Sonics around here at peak hours have you pull into a second designated space alongside the pickup window and bring your food out to you. Not quite a double lane drive thru, but I guess it counts.

Dairy Queen does something similar that I've never seen at any other drive thru: if you pull up to the pick-up window, and your order is not ready by the time you've paid, they have you pull ahead to a designated point and bring your order out when it's ready. That way, they can continue to serve the people behind you, and the line keeps moving. Smart on their part, although a bit counter intuitive to do that and still call it "fast food"... I guess that's why their mantra is "fan food, not fast food"!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.