News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2020 wildfire season

Started by Bruce, September 10, 2020, 02:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on September 27, 2020, 09:48:40 AM
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/north-bay/fast-spreading-brush-fire-forces-evacuations-in-napa-county/2370538/

Another wave of Air Quality Warnings has been announced for Northern California due to the Napa fires.

And yet the AQI in San Francisco is presently 43.  It's only 84 at the moment in Fresno. 

Max Rockatansky

To that end the major fires in California are largely coming under control the last two weeks.  That was undoubted helped by high elevation rain and far lower temperatures.  In Sierra National Forest and Sequoia National Forest most of the notable locales/landmarks made it through the fires okay.  I was concerned about Balch Park but it appears to have been saved by a recent proscribed burn.  Cressman's Store in Pine Ridge was the most notable structure locally that was lost but the owner has already decided to rebuild.  That really doesn't surprise me given Cressman's has gone through a ton of structures dating back to the logging era on the Tollhouse Road.  All and all I think the Sierra Nevada Mountains came out pretty okay.  Undoubtably the overgrowth brings cleared this year and in 2018 will be likely effective in mitigating near term future blazes. 

bing101

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on September 30, 2020, 10:30:40 AM
https://www.redding.com/story/news/2020/09/30/zogg-fire-update-acres-containment-redding-shasta-evacuations-deaths-victims/3584067001/

Update there are now reports of the Zogg Fire in the Redding area and there are reports of 3 deaths as of this posting.

https://abc7.com/santa-clarita-fire-bouquet-canyon-today-live-angeles-national-forest/6631195/

And another fire reported in the Santa Clarita area.

So much for potentially trying to clinch CA 36 in less than two weeks.  The Bouquet Reservoir is out in the middle of nowhere which makes me think that one won't big that big of a deal. 

bing101

Here is more on the Glass Fire and the Zogg Fire.

bing101

bing101

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: bing101 on October 17, 2020, 12:25:29 PM
https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/wildfire/cameron-peak-fire-updates-size-evacuations-weather/73-086990dc-b253-4363-87ae-23fc68461e37?ref=exit-recirc

Colorado is reporting a wildfire in the Cameron Peak area.

its been burning since august.. and its not pretty. i am about 10 miles from one part of it, its like 200-something square miles now and threatening drake and glen haven, colo. i was evacuated once around labor day and it was the apocalpyse around here.

about 70 mi of sh-14 is closed through the area
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Desert Man

Whether the worst wildfire season in CA and US histories was caused by global warming/climate change or state/federal land environmental reclamation policies, plus the COVID pandemic affected firefighting crews trying to avoid catching a virus while they try to avoid getting smoke inhalation and fire heat stroke, I can tell you one fire in Banning-Beaumont not far from where I live (Palm Springs-Coachella Valley) was caused by a ridiculous gender reveal involving pyrotechnics because the unborn boy is a BIG deal, and I recall my wife and I's baby shower in late 2011 had pink cake frosting (a girl, though I don't favor boys over girls or vice versa), not stupid dangerous damage to local wildlife and a death of a firefighter (BTW, my father is a retired Orange/Riverside county CDF firefighter in the 70s-80s).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

zachary_amaryllis

we just had one (the 'east troublesome' fire) that chewed through like 110k acres in one day..

entire towns are evacuated.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.