News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: davewiecking on November 01, 2018, 02:23:34 AM
Reports that a chunk of concrete fell from the Naamans Road bridge onto a vehicle traveling on I-95 caused state bridge inspectors to close the interstate and check the span Wednesday morning, the Delaware Department of Transportation said.

All lanes reopened by the early afternoon after DelDOT said inspectors found no significant deterioration to the bridge, which spans I-95 and I-495 interchange.

DelDOT's initial public announcement about the work had said that only I-95 northbound would completely close. Yet, shortly after 11 a.m., state engineers could be seen on traffic cameras peering upwards at the Naamans Road span from a closed I-495 expressway.
More at: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/traffic/2018/10/31/report-falling-concrete-closed-95-lanes/1831468002/
Wow thats what happened? I had to cross the median to get on 13. Traffic was very bad on 495. Had to go all the way thru Chester & get on from the Commodore berry.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Looking at google imagery , I see there is a strip of land behind suburban plaza in Newark, De where the Christiana parkway is. Does that means plans of the newark beltways could come back? Or they will probably just use that land to extend the road to Barksdale road & W Main St road?

iPhone

seicer

The entire proposed route north of Suburban Plaza has been developed over in Delaware, and the remainder was never a serious consideration other than early planning.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on November 02, 2018, 11:36:10 AM
The entire proposed route north of Suburban Plaza has been developed over in Delaware, and the remainder was never a serious consideration other than early planning.

I see that. But it is not developed up to Barksdale & W Main https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6783562,-75.7803516,14z/data=!3m1!1e3

& it should have been more thought of. That would have relieved traffic in that neck of the woods & made it easier for everyone/thing to move around. They should have considered todays traffic & the fact that it could have made main street more then just one street. Id like to have seen a whole beltway loop in Delaware. Especially in that area. White clay park would have been a nice drive.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 02, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

I see that. But it is not developed up to Barksdale & W Main https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6783562,-75.7803516,14z/data=!3m1!1e3

& it should have been more thought of. That would have relieved traffic in that neck of the woods & made it easier for everyone/thing to move around. They should have considered todays traffic & the fact that it could have made main street more then just one street. Id like to have seen a whole beltway loop in Delaware. Especially in that area. White clay park would have been a nice drive.

iPhone

You're talking about the strip of land where the Christiana River is located.  So no, they're not building on the river.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2018, 02:02:52 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 02, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

iPhone

You're talking about the strip of land where the Christiana River is located.  So no, they're not building on the river.
Wasn't it going to go that way anyway? Are there any known pictures of the proposal?

iPhone

seicer

Some of the proposals go back pretty far, and the land it was proposed on (a paper proposal) has long been built upon. And Maryland really doesn't have any interest in building it since they won't get any real benefit from such a bypass except for more sprawl.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on November 02, 2018, 03:30:31 PM
Some of the proposals go back pretty far, and the land it was proposed on (a paper proposal) has long been built upon. And Maryland really doesn't have any interest in building it since they won't get any real benefit from such a bypass except for more sprawl.
Maryland shouldn't be involved with that anyway, Even though "its"  right there they would just deal with the traffic on a two lane road they "didnt"  upgrade. Would newark ever have a chance of a real Highway connection? Yes 95 is right there but what about the hills & city of newark?

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 03, 2018, 12:19:55 AM
Quote from: seicer on November 02, 2018, 03:30:31 PM
Maryland shouldn’t be involved with that anyway, Even though “its” right there they would just deal with the traffic on a two lane road they “didnt” upgrade. Would newark ever have a chance of a real Highway connection? Yes 95 is right there but what about the hills & city of newark?

iPhone

Where are you going to put a highway in that area without knocking down a lot of houses and businesses, which is exactly what happened to many cities (including Wilmington)?

seicer

It also doesn't serve anything of major importance to the north, except for subdivisions and houses in Pennsylvania. It only adds to the burden that Delaware taxpayers have to maintain for out-of-state residents - to bypass a city. They chose to live out that far, and so they can deal with the traffic of Newark. Ideally, Newark's city center would be even more traffic calmed - it's a college town, after all.

Tonytone

Sheesh, all these unfinished highways, Delaware is gonna be sorry in years to come. They are gonna wish they built a full Newport freeway & a full Newark freeway. They wonder why 95 has such bad traffic? Uhh cause you got the whole delaware getting off at exits 273 & 896. Why? Cause we let people that probably don't even drive everyday tell us what roads to build & shoot down every project that Deldot presents. & you say where will they build it? Gee maybe the same way they did Wilmington, pick a spot with the lowest housing prices. Of course white clay & that area has money. The state doesn't wanna pay 1 million for people to leave their mansions? Understandable. Should have purchased their right of way a long time ago & stop letting people bully them.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 03, 2018, 10:47:55 AM
Sheesh, all these unfinished highways, Delaware is gonna be sorry in years to come. They are gonna wish they built a full Newport freeway & a full Newark freeway. They wonder why 95 has such bad traffic? Uhh cause you got the whole delaware getting off at exits 273 & 896. Why? Cause we let people that probably don't even drive everyday tell us what roads to build & shoot down every project that Deldot presents. & you say where will they build it? Gee maybe the same way they did Wilmington, pick a spot with the lowest housing prices. Of course white clay & that area has money. The state doesn't wanna pay 1 million for people to leave their mansions? Understandable. Should have purchased their right of way a long time ago & stop letting people bully them.

iPhone

The 'whole Delaware' getting off at 273 and 896? Route 1 dude.  Route 1.  Or how about Hockessin?  Or North Wilmington?  Or Middletown.  You are wearing horse blinders if you think the entire state lives off 2 exits of a highway.

Also, how much do you pay in taxes?  How about you increase it to a few billion so that Delaware has the money to build the roads you so desperately want?

Delaware has a pretty good road network. You're not going to get highways near every home, and many people don't want those highways near their homes anyway.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 03, 2018, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 03, 2018, 10:47:55 AM

iPhone

The 'whole Delaware' getting off at 273 and 896? Route 1 dude.  Route 1.  Or how about Hockessin?  Or North Wilmington?  Or Middletown.  You are wearing horse blinders if you think the entire state lives off 2 exits of a highway.

Also, how much do you pay in taxes?  How about you increase it to a few billion so that Delaware has the money to build the roads you so desperately want?

Delaware has a pretty good road network. You're not going to get highways near every home, and many people don't want those highways near their homes anyway.
I guess my tax dollars are going to use. Because the roads in my area are going thru construction. & ok so Route 1 has chance for freeway standards pass christiana mall you think? & I know the whole state doesnt live off of 273/896. But a good MAJORITY lives in newark & the Glasgow bear area. & the closest exit to get to red mill road is 95@273 or 141 @kirkwood hwy. so because of the missing movements people all swarm at these exits, If the Newark highway was at least built. Would 273 need a whole need multimillion interchange? Would 896 need flyover ramps? & if I had the money I would. I would invest in the city & area. & make the area better, instead of expecting everyone else to do it.
& jeff you know damn well that Route 1 is bullshit pass the 273 exit. Thats another reason why 95 is packed. No finished route 1 corridors. So what else do the people use? The dirt roads?

iPhone

Beltway

Quote from: seicer on November 03, 2018, 10:31:42 AM
It also doesn't serve anything of major importance to the north, except for subdivisions and houses in Pennsylvania. It only adds to the burden that Delaware taxpayers have to maintain for out-of-state residents - to bypass a city. They chose to live out that far, and so they can deal with the traffic of Newark. Ideally, Newark's city center would be even more traffic calmed - it's a college town, after all.

What roads are being discussed here?  I-476?  US-202?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 03, 2018, 12:55:55 PM

Newark Beltway & Newport 141 never being completed or constructed

iPhone

Tonytone

You think they wouldn't toll that route? Coming from Pa?

iPhone

Roadsguy

The only new road to the north that needs to be built is a PA 41 expressway that would ideally tie in to DE 1 or 141, though I don't think there's any good place to do that today.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Beltway

Quote from: Tonytone on November 03, 2018, 01:05:30 PM

I didn't know there were ever any plans for them.  Any maps online of the routes?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 03, 2018, 04:26:20 PM

I didn't know there were ever any plans for them.  Any maps online of the routes?
Yea, well AAroads has some information on the website. But 141 is partial built (with plans to upgrade it?) & The Newark Beltway was halted in discussion. We might be able to find grading on HA. But other then that The documents are probably in Deldot custody.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on November 03, 2018, 06:06:05 PM

Yea, well AAroads has some information on the website. But 141 is partial built (with plans to upgrade it?) & The Newark Beltway was halted in discussion. We might be able to find grading on HA. But other then that The documents are probably in Deldot custody.

iPhone

The best source for old plans may actually be at the University of Delaware Library.  Colleges, Universities and State Libraries are typical locations where plans of old wound up.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 03, 2018, 06:28:07 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 03, 2018, 06:06:05 PM
The best source for old plans may actually be at the University of Delaware Library.  Colleges, Universities and State Libraries are typical locations where plans of old wound up.

Draft EIS, 1970
DE-4, Newark Beltway, Ogletown to New London Road, New Castle County
https://tinyurl.com/y88qv3pm

Project about 7.7 miles long, a divided multi-lane arterial.  Page down and you can see a map of the alternatives.

I don't see the DE 141 extension yet, but I will note that I saw the viaduct under construction in 1976 and the scale and size and straightness looked like it would be part of a major freeway (and I later noticed that it never did).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Tonytone

Quote from: Beltway on November 03, 2018, 10:36:13 PM

Draft EIS, 1970
DE-4, Newark Beltway, Ogletown to New London Road, New Castle County
https://tinyurl.com/y88qv3pm

Project about 7.7 miles long, a divided multi-lane arterial.  Page down and you can see a map of the alternatives.

I don't see the DE 141 extension yet, but I will note that I saw the viaduct under construction in 1976 and the scale and size and straightness looked like it would be part of a major freeway (and I later noticed that it never did).

From looking at the plans you showed, another alignment was planned coming thru Newark passing over 95. Is that the proposed 301 from that time? or a route 1 spur?
I also see that the alternative plans they have cover a lot of different areas, This explains why 273 was upgraded at Red mill road but after that it downgrades back to a local road, People must have really been mad to see these plans, Del-dot could have cleaned it up a little, but it was just "for show" at the time. Just makes me wonder if this was built, what kind of sprawl would have started in the circle. and how traffic would have flowed. Very interesting. And looking at 141 on HA I dont see anything yet but i'll Look for something regarding 141. Why would something so thoroughly planned be abruptly cancelled.

Update:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Dqw1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=delaware+route+4+newark+beltway&source=bl&ots=LDAlU5hQnF&sig=33W-zk3S4HvWtS6fvmJeArpj6JU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiCscK84LneAhUG0FMKHRiNBsIQ6AEwA3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=delaware%20route%204%20newark%20beltway&f=false Found another website with even more plans and images, this shows alot of information.

Also: 141 Hwy Plans. Are these still in effect? Are they gonna complete 141? https://www.aaroads.com/guides/de-141/

Tonytone

Something happened on I95 south in Delaware . Traffic at a standstill. Seen it from the chapman road overpass thats by the rest stop.

Update: Looking on waze people were saying it was bridge construction, right before the 896 exits. Traffic is flowing now but it was backed up all the way to the mall.

iPhone

froggie

^ He's probably referring to Chapman Rd in Newark, DE...near the Delaware House.

Tonytone

When they make 95 six lanes will they add the lane to 495 southbound, or 141 C/D Roadway

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.