News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I found this site about capped options for the BQE.
What is wrong with these options?  Nothing, the BQE is 3-lanes each way and people get their parks and open space.
I'd even say put in AUX lanes on the BQE if it's going to be capped.

https://worldlandscapearchitect.com/big-reimagine-the-brooklyn-queens-expressway-as-bq-park/?v=7516fd43adaa
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

The Ghostbuster

While I think the proposal is a good one, I doubt the locals will allow anything to be constructed. I expect the triple-cantilever segment to collapse before any long-term fix is implemented, as I have stated before. Personally, I would prefer building a tunnel (despite the expense and possible impracticability of constructing one) to bypass the existing BQE between Exits 26 and 31, and remove the existing BQE between those two points. I realize this is a pie-in-the sky Fictional Highways proposal that is as likely to be built as the Gowanus Tunnel would have been built, but it could have helped undo the damage to the existing neighborhoods that the BQE racked.

SignBridge

Why would the locals object to the proposal? It looks like a win/win to me, except for the years of horrendous construction that would be required, or is that the reason they would object?

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on September 19, 2023, 08:37:14 PM
Why would the locals object to the proposal? It looks like a win/win to me, except for the years of horrendous construction that would be required, or is that the reason they would object?
One acronym: BANANA. Locals don't drive on it, so their interest is its disappearance.

RoadRage2023

BQE lane reduction was a disaster. Going from Hamilton Ave to Atlantic Avenue can take 35-40 minutes. I've seen people just drive on the shoulder right in front of cops and they don't care, even they agree it was ridiculous. Re-open the 3rd lane!

Plutonic Panda

I think it was due to a weight restriction. Hell I'd advocate for a widening to 4 lanes each way if it goes underground. If it's rebuilt as it is they should at least restore it to 3 lanes.

RoadRage2023

Yes, the previous mayor said it had to do with trucks wearing out one side of it. 4 lanes each way would be nice, but doubt it would matter. The trenches used to be a decent speed segment of the BQE, now it's a 4 mph nightmare. Sometimes it backs up to the belt parkway split (it used to only back up to Hamilton Avenue/Prospect expressway at worst, and usually not that slow) Also this is probably just being nit picky but that exit 23 for 38-39th street sometimes slows things down and is kinda pointless.

Duke87

It's not even specifically trucks. 4 lanes of traffic weighs less than 6 lanes of traffic regardless of the vehicle mix - it's about reducing load on the structure to try and buy time.

Meanwhile you'd think if reconstructed there'd be no reason to not restore 6 lanes, except of course that numtots have become rather influential in New York and they see anything that forces people to drive less as a positive feature. Ergo, expect a fight about this, and I wouldn't count on ever getting the extra pair of lanes back. 4 lanes is now the status quo; 6 will be spun as "widening the highway".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ixnay

I've taken countless virtual drives on YT on NYC's expressway system and am intrigued by the paint scheme on the overpasses (similar to the borders on AARoads or the uniforms on the Saskatchewan Roughriders Canadian football team).  What is that shade called?  Robert Moses green? :)

RoadRage2023

I had a feeling part of the reason they did that was to get people to drive less. I-278 however, is usually a key road you start with. No matter what direction you are going. Especially from Western Brooklyn. Heading South? Well of course you take I-278 to the Jersey Turnpike. Going North? Head the other way to the Triborough bridge or Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Long Island? You'll need to take it to I-495. West? People will still tend to go toward Staten Island or take I-278 to an East- River Bridge. There are no other expressways that cut across or up and down through Brooklyn, so I-278 was a ridiculous choice of a highway to worsen.

cockroachking

Quote from: ixnay on September 22, 2023, 08:58:00 AM
I've taken countless virtual drives on YT on NYC's expressway system and am intrigued by the paint scheme on the overpasses (similar to the borders on AARoads or the uniforms on the Saskatchewan Roughriders Canadian football team).  What is that shade called?  Robert Moses green? :)
Ugly IMO :D (though not quite as bad as that putrid mustard yellow)
I much prefer the powder blue that has been used on most/all of the construction projects in the last 20 years or so.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on September 22, 2023, 12:52:56 AM
It's not even specifically trucks. 4 lanes of traffic weighs less than 6 lanes of traffic regardless of the vehicle mix - it's about reducing load on the structure to try and buy time.

Meanwhile you'd think if reconstructed there'd be no reason to not restore 6 lanes, except of course that numtots have become rather influential in New York and they see anything that forces people to drive less as a positive feature. Ergo, expect a fight about this, and I wouldn't count on ever getting the extra pair of lanes back. 4 lanes is now the status quo; 6 will be spun as "widening the highway".
They already are.  I've seen numerous pieces denouncing NYCDOT's plan to "widen the highway".  Granted, they're technically right in terms of absolute width... six lanes meeting modern design standards would be a wider pavement width than the existing design.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RoadRage2023

Almost 1:30 am here, and that BQE stretch where they reduced the lanes is still black. The only stretch of black road in the city (the ones on the van Wyck were construction/closures and the one on the FDR Drive is an accident). Was never that bad before the lane reduction. That section is black 20 hours a day now essentially.

Although even accidents causing it doesn't make sense. The volume is so heavy at 1:30 am that having only 1 lane instead of 2 or 3 grinds traffic to a halt for miles?

roadman65

Does the Lincoln Tunnel Expressway between 30th Street and the Lincoln Tunnel ( the only access to the center tube from Manhattan during Outbound Operations) have a NYS reference number or does NYSDOT inventory it as NY 495?

Also WTF on 9th Avenue is NYCDOT defaulting the two right lanes at 37th Street into the Lincoln Tunnel Expressway without large overhead  signs warning the motorists of the lanes defaulting? Plus they installed those pegs between 36th and 35th Streets from weaving at the the last minute. So if you're not paying attention you could end up in those two lanes for the tunnel expressway ramp at 35th Street.  Unless you're familiar with that last ditch exit before the north tube to 39th Street from the Lincoln Tunnel Expressway, you can be on you're way to New Jersey with an expensive return back to New York.

Also 11 Avenue ain't no better as NB traffic is now ends flow at 40th Street where 11th Avenue is SB only one way. Again, if you're not familiar with the area, you can find yourself on your way to Jersey with an expensive return. Drivers at 40th Street are forced to turn right and then defaulted into the Lincoln Tunnel entrance as no access to continue EB on 40th due to traffic control.

In both cases on 9th and 11th Avenues, piss  poor signage exists and lacks proper BGS warnings.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Here is what Wikipedia says about the NY 495 designation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Tunnel#Route_numbering. Personally, I think the NY 495 designation should be the official number of the New York stretch of the Lincoln Tunnel.

roadman65

Does the Lincoln Tunnel Expressway tunnel under 39th Street have a name? The one that enters under the SE Corner of Dyer Avenue & 39th Street and exits at the NW Corner of 10th Avenue & 39th Street with the raised ceiling in the tunnel that is a problematic single lane allowing access from the south to the north tube long underpass?

Sheryl Crowe

RoadRage2023

It's been a while since I took the Lincoln tunnel, but there may be something labeled "_______underpass" that connects to it. Forgot.

Nevermind, looked it up on googlemaps and the sign just says "expressway to 9A"

SignBridge

You're right roadman65, the signage for those lane-drops into the tunnel entrances is woefully inadequate even for slow moving city streets. Amazing that NYC gets away with that. My best guess is that most of the drivers in the area know the territory. Maybe there are not many strangers from out-of-town on those streets.

roadman65

NYC was always big on BGS signing especially around expressway entrances and the PANYNJ Crossings.  This is so unlike them.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 22, 2023, 12:40:30 PM
I had a feeling part of the reason they did that was to get people to drive less. I-278 however, is usually a key road you start with. No matter what direction you are going. Especially from Western Brooklyn. Heading South? Well of course you take I-278 to the Jersey Turnpike. Going North? Head the other way to the Triborough bridge or Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Long Island? You'll need to take it to I-495. West? People will still tend to go toward Staten Island or take I-278 to an East- River Bridge. There are no other expressways that cut across or up and down through Brooklyn, so I-278 was a ridiculous choice of a highway to worsen.
Remember what I said about how those idiots at Streetsblog think narrowing the road works, and how they've banned anyone who tries to tell them otherwise?

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2023, 10:35:25 AM
NYC was always big on BGS signing especially around expressway entrances and the PANYNJ Crossings.  This is so unlike them.
Sounds to me like the anti-highway lobbyists are exerting more of their power and influence. They must be conning the government against the need for BGS signage.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 09, 2023, 12:05:00 AM
Some future work on I-95 by HRP and Bartow this time going south:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.DYN_PROJECT_DETAILS.show?p_arg_names=p_pin&p_arg_values=X73178

and the extension of the 4th lane NB going to Exit 11.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.DYN_PROJECT_DETAILS.show?p_arg_names=p_pin&p_arg_values=X73179
Where are the designs for these future projects?

BTW, I still say it would've made more sense to extend Bruckner Boulevard frontage roads across the Pelham and Hutchison Parkways separate from the three interchanges with I-95.

cockroachking

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 09, 2023, 04:29:17 AM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 09, 2023, 12:05:00 AM
Some future work on I-95 by HRP and Bartow this time going south:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.DYN_PROJECT_DETAILS.show?p_arg_names=p_pin&p_arg_values=X73178

and the extension of the 4th lane NB going to Exit 11.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.DYN_PROJECT_DETAILS.show?p_arg_names=p_pin&p_arg_values=X73179
Where are the designs for these future projects?
Non-existent, since they are still "In Development" or "Future Development." Don't expect anything more than what is included in the project description until the public information meetings occur (2025 for the first project and 2027 for the second if I had to guess).

D-Dey65

Ugh! I don't know whether to retch over what I won't like or just fear what I don't know they're planning. I just saw the GSV of the reconstruction of the Pelham Parkway interchange with the Bruckner Expressway, and despite the safety measures for I-95, it looks like a downgrade for the Pelham.

And this is my 3,500th post on the forum. I could celebrate it by adding a NYS 35 shield, but I've never had any personal relationship with NY 35.

NY 45 on the other hand I'll do if and when I get to that point.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 10, 2023, 06:27:00 AM
Ugh! I don't know whether to retch over what I won't like or just fear what I don't know they're planning. I just saw the GSV of the reconstruction of the Pelham Parkway interchange with the Bruckner Expressway, and despite the safety measures for I-95, it looks like a downgrade for the Pelham.

I mean it's getting rid of a cloverleaf, but do the volumes there really need one? Pelham is not really limited access so I don't think it's that bad a deal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.