News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-101/CA-1: Olympia, WA to San Francisco, CA

Started by ZLoth, May 29, 2013, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Steve on July 31, 2013, 11:42:03 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 31, 2013, 04:12:44 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on July 31, 2013, 04:04:14 PMcattle chute

:-D

that's even better a term than "stupor-2".  CA-152 between CA-156 and Gilroy can also be described as one.

Cattle chute is a single lane with barrier on both sides, typically only seen in a construction zone.

CA-37 is a two-lane highway with a continuous New Jersey barrier down the center.  The marsh forms the barrier on the outer sides.  Cattle chute.

Alps

Quote from: kkt on August 01, 2013, 12:28:12 AM

that's even better a term than "stupor-2".  CA-152 between CA-156 and Gilroy can also be described as one.

Cattle chute is a single lane with barrier on both sides, typically only seen in a construction zone.

CA-37 is a two-lane highway with a continuous New Jersey barrier down the center.  The marsh forms the barrier on the outer sides.  Cattle chute.

No shoulders? Marsh 4 feet above the road? Don't think so.

kkt

Quote from: Steve on August 01, 2013, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: kkt on August 01, 2013, 12:28:12 AM

No shoulders? Marsh 4 feet above the road? Don't think so.

Cattle may not be very bright, but for the most part they are smart enough not to walk on a slope that's too steep.

ZLoth

34 days until my vacation, 41 days until my road trip. And, I just got my passport.

Latest Itenerary...
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

Have you checked the ferry schedule?  Do you need to reserve a spot on that ferry in advance, for cars?

ZLoth

Eyup. My biggest worry is getting to the terminal one hour early from Roseburg, OR.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

Here are photographs:

First day from Sacramento, CA to Roseburg, OR (MAP)- First of two days of "hard driving". I didn't even leave until 9:30 AM, and had to get gas first before driving. I did a rest stop at a museum in Mount Shasta, and got to Roseburg at 5:30 PM/. My main priority at that point was to top up on gas (and remembering that I don't pump my own gas), get some food, and get some sleep.

Second day from Roseburg, OR to Port Angeles, WA/Victoria, BC (MAP) - Because I had a hard deadline to catch the ferry of 4:15 PM, I was up at 6 AM and on the road by 7 AM. And, boy, was it raining hard almost the entire way. After topping off in Sequim, WA, I caught the ferry. Holy mack! Because of a storm, the ferry was rocking like crazy, with some of the passengers who take the ferry on a regular basis saying this was the roughest crossing they had experienced.

kkt

That was a pretty good sized storm.  You got your money's worth.

ZLoth

October 2nd (MAP) - From Victoria, BC to Westport, WA

October 3rd (MAP) - From Westport, WA to Coos Bay, OR. Next time, one more stop in between.

ZLoth

You know..... I forgot to post the last two dys.... silly me....

October 4th (MAP) - Coos Bay, OR to Eureka, CA

October 5th (MAP) - Eureka, CA to Sacramento, CA

Things that I have learned from my trip:

• Costco and Safeway are my best friends, especially when it comes to gas[/*]
  • Yelp is great for finding great places to eat when you are explicitly trying to avoid the chain restaurants[/*]
  • The FM modulator which I had installed worked GREAT for the most part.... unless there was a strong station in the area.[/*]
  • Audible through my Android phone allowed me to listen to books[/*]
  • CA-1 is very very curvy[/*]
  • When driving down US-101, get very used to Entering and Leaving Tsunami Hazard Zones. Sometimes, thanks to a sloping curve, you will be entering it at the beginning of the curse and leaving it at the end of the curve[/*]
  • Who thought the bathroom was considered a non-essential service during the government shutdown?[/*]
  • Be sure to fill up at Brookings, OR before going into California. The difference is 55 cents per gallon.[/*]

agentsteel53

Quote from: ZLoth on October 22, 2013, 03:38:31 PM
  • The FM modulator which I had installed worked GREAT for the most part.... unless there was a strong station in the area.[/*]
which model is this?  I've had terrible luck with these FM transmitters.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ZLoth

This was a in-line FM modulator which hooked up directly to the antenna of my radio. This is the best that I can do considering that there is no AUX input, and a friend's son was doing the install. It isn't perfect, but it was better than a cigarette lighter transmitter that I had before.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.